The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5180
Lectures today were fun. I like how nervous the linear algebra guy was at the start. You'd have thought we were holding his family hostage or something...
Reply 5181
SimonM
Riemann Surfaces
Markov Chains
(Quantum Mechanics)

Linear Analysis
Category theory
(Galois theory)
Algebraic geometry

Seriously reconsidering the bracketed ones due to the lecturers.

Who's doing quantum this year?
And, I can understand your thinking with galois, but apparently there's some good online notes, so I may keep it...
Also, distressingly, you currently have as many part II courses as me on the go...
Reply 5182
Slumpy
Also, distressingly, you currently have as many part II courses as me on the go...
Three? (I'm guessing that it's Part III Algebraic Geometry on the basis that the Part II course isn't being lectured this term, though I suppose he could just be being supervised on it.)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5183
harr
Three? (I'm guessing that it's Part III Algebraic Geometry on the basis that the Part II course isn't being lectured this term, though I suppose he could just be being supervised on it.)

Oops. I kinda assumed anything that wasnt a IB course was a part II course, and I'd just not noticed the name. Still, a couple of part III courses in there makes it even worse:p:
Linear algebra was crap. Was there really any need for what we had to do today? Who's idea was it to schedule the objectively most boring course as the third of three lectures? Analysis II was gentle (the lecturer is lovable, especially with his yellow shirt) and Methods will allow me to say "shut the **** up" to Natscis and engineers who think that doing Fourier series in their first year makes them Hot Stuff. I liked Quantum Mechanics, even if it didn't seem to have a thread or even a point, but not all good stories need a point.
:biggrin: aye. There's nothing like standing around outside hall in a suit and gown drinking cans of cheap beer whilst waiting for family formal.
Reply 5186
Glutamic Acid
Linear algebra was crap. Was there really any need for what we had to do today? Who's idea was it to schedule the objectively most boring course as the third of three lectures? Analysis II was gentle (the lecturer is lovable, especially with his yellow shirt) and Methods will allow me to say "shut the **** up" to Natscis and engineers who think that doing Fourier series in their first year makes them Hot Stuff. I liked Quantum Mechanics, even if it didn't seem to have a thread or even a point, but not all good stories need a point.

Quantum Mechanics is pointless? Shhh, keep that quiet from your computer...
Reply 5187
v-zero
Quantum Mechanics is pointless? Shhh, keep that quiet from your computer...

That's not what he said though.
Reply 5188
SimonM
That's not what he said though.

'didn't seem to have a thread, or even a point'.
v-zero
'didn't seem to have a thread, or even a point'.

He's probably referring to that particular lecture, rather than the entire field. At least that's how I read it.
Reply 5190
Hedgeman49
He's probably referring to that particular lecture, rather than the entire field. At least that's how I read it.

Yes, of course. I'm being thick. I think I probably got hit too much earlier.
Stats is awful this year. Apparently, first year stats is not a pre-requisite to the second year course, so they go right back to the start (i.e. before A level)... today's lecture was about why we use sampling, and what random sampling is. Ughhhhhh.
Anyway, I have a four hour block this afternoon but I'm excited because half of it is Algebra :love:

On non-maths related note

Spoiler

Reply 5192
assmaster

On non-maths related note

Spoiler

I always find it hilarious that cheerleading is like, an actual sport.
Reply 5193
First hockey win of the season for harr and myself!
Just had my first debate of the new semester last night - forgot how good the adrenaline rush is :p:
Slumpy
I always find it hilarious that cheerleading is like, an actual sport.

Depends what definition of sport you use.

Even then there are stuff like darts not being considered a sports. Yet archery is. Makes no sense.

On a somewhat funny note. There is probably more luck in football than there is in poker, however one is considered gambling when the other isn't.
(edited 13 years ago)
Simplicity
On a somewhat funny note. There is probably more luck in football than there is in poker, however one is considered gambling when the other isn't.

Poker is gambling because people tend to stake their money on it when they play. The same cannot be said of football.
tommm
Poker is gambling because people tend to stake their money on it when they play. The same cannot be said of football.

Would you say investing in shares and banking was gambling? As you are basically putting your money on whether your shares will go up.

I defined gambling as spending money on something based on luck. Not if you have put money into it or to play it. Like is going to the cinema gambling? since you are putting money to watch it.

P.S. Banking is probably as much gambling as poker. Bill Chen comes to mind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h380dalkJFM
Simplicity
Would you say investing in shares and banking was gambling? As you are basically putting your money on whether your shares will go up.

I defined gambling as spending money on something based on luck. Not if you have put money into it or to play it. Like is going to the cinema gambling? since you are putting money to watch it.

P.S. Banking is probably as much gambling as poker. Bill Chen comes to mind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h380dalkJFM

Well, why would you class football as gambling? I've played and watched football, and I've never had money on it.
tommm
Well, why would you class football as gambling? I've played and watched football, and I've never had money on it.

Oh, you don't have a family that wastes a lot of his money on football betting. I mean like if you put £10 on Man united to win that is gambling, in that you have crap odds and football has luck involved.

You never defined what you think is gambling. I can watch say other people play blackjack, doesn't mean I think that's gambling as you are just watching people gamble.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest