The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6600
Yep, worked in a bank all summer.
Reply 6601
As cliche as it is, maybe something in algebra, geometry and/or topology. Possibly logic as well. But this is what Part III is for though, right?

@refref: spent 8 weeks at CCFE
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SimonM
Yep, worked in a bank all summer.

What type of work? paid?
Reply 6603
Original post by SimonM
So, what jobs are we all planning on doing?

One would think I'd know by now. Contemplating either a phd, software engineering, or actuarial work. Very narrow...
Reply 6604
Original post by boromir9111
What type of work? paid?

Yeah, standard S&T internship.
Reply 6605
Original post by Slumpy
One would think I'd know by now. Contemplating either a phd, software engineering, or actuarial work. Very narrow...

Software engineering where? (or just anywhere?)
Original post by SimonM
Yeah, standard S&T internship.

What did they look for before taking you in?
Reply 6607
Original post by boromir9111
What did they look for before taking you in?

Not really sure - coming from a good uni and not being awful at interview seems to be pretty much all you need. The IB&C forum has loads of info
Reply 6608
Original post by SimonM
Software engineering where? (or just anywhere?)

Well, I've got a final round interview for a job in Edinburger in about a week, so Edinburgh seems most likely(can't really be bothered with the travel to interview elsewhere). Or did you mean company?
Reply 6609
Original post by Slumpy
Well, I've got a final round interview for a job in Edinburger in about a week, so Edinburgh seems most likely(can't really be bothered with the travel to interview elsewhere). Or did you mean company?

I meant company (or vague description of such)
Academia and quants seem popular.

The problem with academia is it takes an extra year for part3 or equivalent, then another 2 to 4 for a PhD. That's at best 3 years with no pay - then even after that being a teacher isn't good pay.

I know it isn't done for the moneyz but buying a house or putting a large deposit down / small mortgage are pretty essential things to do in your mid twenties. I wouldn't like to think of being 25 and living in Uni accommodation with no chance of moving out in the immediate future.

It's all very confusing.
Reply 6611
Original post by Oh I Really Don't Care

The problem with academia is it takes an extra year for part3 or equivalent, then another 2 to 4 for a PhD. That's at best 3 years with no pay - then even after that being a teacher isn't good pay.

I know it isn't done for the moneyz but buying a house or putting a large deposit down / small mortgage are pretty essential things to do in your mid twenties. I wouldn't like to think of being 25 and living in Uni accommodation with no chance of moving out in the immediate future.

It's all very confusing.

Quant is another few years before you get a job too (assuming with a PhD)
Reply 6612
Original post by Oh I Really Don't Care

It's all very confusing.

You normally get a decent few quid doing a PhD. More than many in employment when you consider that you don't pay any tax (not even council tax).

I never lived in university accomodation anyway. I am 26 and doing a PhD and have a comparable or better flat and lifestyle to that of many of my contemporaries back home and I don't have to do a ****ty job either :smile:

Barely anyone is buying a house at 25 unless their rich daddy is giving them a ton of cash and guaranteeing their mortgage. Even people starting off in top city jobs.
Reply 6613
Just did an internship in a large bank, within Asset Management - I was working on Equities, in a semi-quant role. Am now thinking Private Wealth might be where I want to end up, though we'll see. Have a few interviews lined up at boutiques. Research did not appeal - I did a research placement last year in the Oxford Centre for Gene Function. Was fine, but definitely could not stick it out for more than a few years! Growing up is happening far too quickly.
Reply 6614
I'm interested to what you actually do during internships at these places?
Reply 6615
Original post by SimonM
I meant company (or vague description of such)

Network infrastructure stuff mostly I think, whatever that means:p:
Reply 6616
Original post by Slumpy
Network infrastructure stuff mostly I think, whatever that means:p:

What sort of stuff would you be doing?
Reply 6617
Original post by SimonM
So, what jobs are we all planning on doing?
No idea. And I now have one.
Reply 6618
Original post by harr
No idea. And I now have one.

Ooh, doing what?

Original post by SimonM
What sort of stuff would you be doing?

Um, I think significant parts of what they do is to do with interfaces for communications, for instance phone networking, getting rid of the problem of not being able to use other functions of a smartphone whilst on the phone, that kinda thing. Still not very specific I fear...
Reply 6619
Original post by Slumpy
Ooh, doing what?
Working in a bank. I'm not doing anything as exciting as people do on internships though. It's a job. I go in. I enter some numbers and formulae into some spreadsheets. They give me money*. I go home.

*I currently only keep 74% of it, but given that I'm allowed to earn £12,790 a year tax-free and there's only one third of the year remaining, this is a situation that I hope to improve.

Quick Reply

Latest