The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Considering another year of analysis, feel like I've been drugged :erm:
Reply 7841
Original post by cpdavis
Considering another year of analysis, feel like I've been drugged :erm:

My analysis module in my 4th year was comfortably the worst one of all the ones I did. YMMV.
Original post by around
My analysis module in my 4th year was comfortably the worst one of all the ones I did. YMMV.

Hope you did ok overall :smile:

What are your plans now?
Is there anyone that has either graduated or is currently studying Maths from either Warwick or Nottingham as I'm curious to hear peoples opinions of the work load and such, did the course offer enough variety to keep you intrigued as I don't really want to get to university in October to become bored by the modules I've taken :redface:
Reply 7844
Original post by MathsNerd1
Is there anyone that has either graduated or is currently studying Maths from either Warwick or Nottingham as I'm curious to hear peoples opinions of the work load and such, did the course offer enough variety to keep you intrigued as I don't really want to get to university in October to become bored by the modules I've taken :redface:

If you don't enjoy the variety of modules offered by Warwick, chances are you're not going to like the variety anywhere else. I'm not sure about Nottingham, but it's safe to say that Warwick has one of the best courses when it comes to variety and freedom.
Original post by Noble.
If you don't enjoy the variety of modules offered by Warwick, chances are you're not going to like the variety anywhere else. I'm not sure about Nottingham, but it's safe to say that Warwick has one of the best courses when it comes to variety and freedom.

I'm just trying to make sure I don't choose the wrong modules from the beginning as I'd have to stick with them for the year which might affect my overall performance if I don't enjoy that module too much :redface:
Reply 7846
I'm just trying to make sure I don't choose the wrong modules from the beginning as I'd have to stick with them for the year which might affect my overall performance if I don't enjoy that module too much :redface:

I get worried about the opposite, having to pick modules and worrying I'll pick ones I end up doing worse in :lol:
Original post by Noble.
I get worried about the opposite, having to pick modules and worrying I'll pick ones I end up doing worse in :lol:

But surely if you enjoy the modules then you're more inclined to put more effort into improving your performances in those modules compared to modules you don't enjoy at all?
Reply 7848
But surely if you enjoy the modules then you're more inclined to put more effort into improving your performances in those modules compared to modules you don't enjoy at all?

It's difficult to know what you truly enjoy though. With the exception of one or two modules in first year I pretty much enjoyed it all. No doubt looking through the options I know which I like the sound of more, and which I think I'd prefer studying, but it's difficult to say definitively.
Original post by Noble.
It's difficult to know what you truly enjoy though. With the exception of one or two modules in first year I pretty much enjoyed it all. No doubt looking through the options I know which I like the sound of more, and which I think I'd prefer studying, but it's difficult to say definitively.

That's my problem because if I choose one and come to the conclusion that I don't really like the module would I then be able to change it for another module or would I have to persevere with the chosen module? I really don't want to screw up my chances in the first year as at Warwick it is worth something in my degree whereas it isn't for Nottingham.
Reply 7850
Original post by shamika
Hope you did ok overall :smile:

What are your plans now?

Job or PhD starting the following year - at the moment job is looking more likely...
Hopefully soon to become an Edinburgh Mathematician, any fellow peers?
Reply 7852
That's my problem because if I choose one and come to the conclusion that I don't really like the module would I then be able to change it for another module or would I have to persevere with the chosen module? I really don't want to screw up my chances in the first year as at Warwick it is worth something in my degree whereas it isn't for Nottingham.

You don't have to stick with your modules for the year - there are some restrictions/deadlines which I won't go into detail but typically the process is much more relaxed than many other suibjects/universities. Typically, you would sign up for your modules at either the start of each term or within the first few weeks of each term. You can drop modules any time up to about a month or couple of months before its final exam, but you need to make sure you still have sufficient credits for the year. This means that you can go to the first couple of lectures for a module and decide if it's for you, or alternatively you might realise part way through a module that you hate it and so you can drop it.

This process is mostly handled online, so unless you're taking unusual options (those not on the list of recommended modules for maths students) then you don't have to explain/justify your decisions to anyone. However it is a good idea to speak to your tutor if you're unsure about anything.
Original post by ttoby
You don't have to stick with your modules for the year - there are some restrictions/deadlines which I won't go into detail but typically the process is much more relaxed than many other suibjects/universities. Typically, you would sign up for your modules at either the start of each term or within the first few weeks of each term. You can drop modules any time up to about a month or couple of months before its final exam, but you need to make sure you still have sufficient credits for the year. This means that you can go to the first couple of lectures for a module and decide if it's for you, or alternatively you might realise part way through a module that you hate it and so you can drop it.

This process is mostly handled online, so unless you're taking unusual options (those not on the list of recommended modules for maths students) then you don't have to explain/justify your decisions to anyone. However it is a good idea to speak to your tutor if you're unsure about anything.

Oh okay, this has reduced the amount I was worried about the whole issue, thanks for the information and would you have any suggestions on what I should be doing during the holidays to prepare myself for university level Maths? :smile:
Reply 7854
Oh okay, this has reduced the amount I was worried about the whole issue, thanks for the information and would you have any suggestions on what I should be doing during the holidays to prepare myself for university level Maths? :smile:

There's not really a massive amount you can do yet at the moment, but over the summer and/or at the start of the course they will send you some diagnostic test material. These are questions you can go through in your own time based on a-level knowledge. However, you would need to be able to answer them without calculators or formula booklets. Being familiar with this material again will help you to understand some of the arguments made during lectures etc.
Original post by ttoby
There's not really a massive amount you can do yet at the moment, but over the summer and/or at the start of the course they will send you some diagnostic test material. These are questions you can go through in your own time based on a-level knowledge. However, you would need to be able to answer them without calculators or formula booklets. Being familiar with this material again will help you to understand some of the arguments made during lectures etc.

Okay, thanks for all the information you have provided me with as its very helpful :smile:
Yeah I think that I'm going to avoid analysis after some opinions :sadnod:

It's looking like I'm going to be stuck with collective behavior as a module :sigh:
Original post by Noble.

It became clear to me in my second year, when I did some work on analytic number theory, some algebra, some analysis and some CS and found the analysis far more interesting than the rest. In my first year though I liked it all (except for the mathematical computing course, I hated that course).

If you like maths, then Warwick's maths course will be entertaining. If you've only just done a-levels though then you won't really know how much you like maths until you start doing some university level work.

Original post by around

Which one was it?
Reply 7858
Original post by IrrationalNumber
It became clear to me in my second year, when I did some work on analytic number theory, some algebra, some analysis and some CS and found the analysis far more interesting than the rest. In my first year though I liked it all (except for the mathematical computing course, I hated that course).

Yeah, at the moment I'm planning on picking practically a 50/50 split between pure and applied options so I hopefully know by the end of second year what I actually enjoy.
Original post by IrrationalNumber

If you like maths, then Warwick's maths course will be entertaining. If you've only just done a-levels though then you won't really know how much you like maths until you start doing some university level work.

That's what I want to hear however that is my fear, that's why I'm trying my best to get a taste for what university has to offer during the holidays so it isn't such a shock to my system in October :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest