The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
My Alt
http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/site2002/Teaching/IA/Numbers+Sets/2009-2010/examples-NS-09-3.pdf

Ah, my supervisors aren't quite as bad as yours Kris, but I still wouldn't dare not attempting non-starred questions unless I have a good reason (which they accepted once)

Not all of my supervisors are that bad: one is a German grad student who draws smiley faces on your work and we also get supervised by Prof T himself for N+S!

Hashashin
Why are you doing N+S? Or did you transfer to straight maths?

Someone in my college does Maths + Physics, but likes N+S so much they cycle straight from Physics to N+S lectures every time we have one. And also does the examples sheets on top of their Physics work.

ForGreatJustice
though groups 3 is worse so glad term is nearing an end.

I love groups 3: first 9 or so questions are very nice, and the rest of them look pretty cool as well. Having said that, I did a 12pm-2am to get DE 3 in and it was handed back to be riddled with arithmetic mistakes (including such wonders as d/dx 1 = 1 etc etc).

Glutamic Acid
blah

DE just isn't the same without him.
around
I love groups 3: first 9 or so questions are very nice, and the rest of them look pretty cool as well. Having said that, I did a 12pm-2am to get DE 3 in and it was handed back to be riddled with arithmetic mistakes (including such wonders as d/dx 1 = 1 etc etc).

You do group theory. Lucky man. I have to wait intill next year, but I'm sure there is like a big third year course on it as I overheard somone saying they're going to do group theory unit.

On another note, how can you write d/dx 1 = 1, as that makes no sense what so ever.
Reply 1222
Simplicity
You do group theory. Lucky man. I have to wait intill next year, but I'm sure there is like a big third year course on it as I overheard somone saying they're going to do group theory unit.

On another note, how can you write d/dx 1 = 1, as that makes no sense what so ever.

It does at 1 in the morning and when you've already been working 13 hours.
around

Actually, it still doesn't.
Simplicity
Whats with all the gay jokes. I'm not gay. Also, gay men don't do foreplay,

:confused: :confused: Where do you get that from?

Reading hurts my head, the idea of doing work today makes me feel sick. Time to cram in work tomorrow night :frown: *wonders back to bed*
around

Weekends are for play - FACT
ste0731
:confused: :confused: Where do you get that from?

Reading hurts my head, the idea of doing work today makes me feel sick. Time to cram in work tomorrow night :frown: *wonders back to bed*

I don't understand the question. Wikipedia.

How do you do 7b. on the calculus sheet?

P.S. Also, what does the plan passes through (1,0,0) and is parrallel to x=0. I don't see how you can pull out the line from that. Damn it.
DeanK22

Most people leave everything to the last second, hence me doing homework today for which I should have logically did during the week.
Reply 1228
DeanK22

I was doing that on Tuesday.
Simplicity
I don't understand the question. Wikipedia.

How do you do 7b. on the calculus sheet?

P.S. Also, what does the plan passes through (1,0,0) and is parrallel to x=0. I don't see how you can pull out the line from that. Damn it.

Foreplay may involve various acts, such as touching, embracing, talking, and teasing (teasing, in this case, may include methods of satisfaction, such as erotic sexual denial).[

How does that mean gay men don't do it?

Anyway erm.. I have no idea. Head hurts far too much from last night I'll have a look in an hour and see if anything makes any sense but doubt it tbh.
Reply 1230
I wish I had an MG Worster avatar :frown:
ste0731
How does that mean gay men don't do it?

Anyway erm.. I have no idea. Head hurts far too much from last night I'll have a look in an hour and see if anything makes any sense but doubt it tbh.

Hm, I don't know. I was under the impression that foreplay was for women and that men don't do it, thats the sun sex thing at the back nearly every day for ages.

In second glance 7 b looks easy. I still can't do the one about vectors, looks like I have to go back and read the pages of my FP4 book. Next week looks impossible with all that grad, curl and stuff.
I can't believe this hasen't been mention yet. But, RH is now 150 years old without being proven or disproven. Sadly, I have to wait two years intill I do the course on Analytical number theory so that I can understand it. But, when I do I will try and prove it.

Its strange but prime numbers and number theory was useless back in the old days, but now its one of the most improtant branches of mathematics.
Simplicitly you don't want to be too dominating in one field. Why not try your hand at some of the othe millenium problems to warm up slightly?
So mod arithmetic is basically this

If 10mod5=0 as 5m=10 is exactly divisiable and

say 11 mod5=1 since 5m=11 leaves a remainder of 1.

Is that it?

As I seriously, don't want to look in the textbook that is right next to me. Also, I need to go to the gym to do weights now. I should really be doing homework but screw it. Leave it till tomorrow.
Simplicity
So mod arithmetic is basically this

If 10mod5=0 as 5m=10 is exactly divisiable and

say 11 mod5=1 since 5m=11 leaves a remainder of 1.

Is that it?

As I seriously, don't want to look in the textbook that is right next to me. Also, I need to go to the gym to do weights now. I should really be doing homework but screw it. Leave it till tomorrow.

Eh, what does "5m = 11 leaves a remainder of 1" mean?

"Two integers a and b are said to be congruent modulo n, if their difference a − b is an integer multiple of n. An equivalent definition is that both numbers have the same remainder when divided by n"

There are one or two further bits of modular arithmetic, however.
Glutamic Acid
Eh, what does "5m = 11 leaves a remainder of 1" mean?

"Two integers a and b are said to be congruent modulo n, if their difference a − b is an integer multiple of n. An equivalent definition is that both numbers have the same remainder when divided by n"

There are one or two further bits of modular arithmetic, however.

Well, that was how it was explained in a workshop about group theory.

How would you calculate 26mod5 as

I thought it was something like this

26mod5 = 1 mod5 = 1.
Reply 1237
No, 5|26-1 so 26(mod 5) = 1.
You can if you wish use whatver notation you wish but 26 (mod 5) = 1 reads funny (imo).
Reply 1239
Simplicity

Hahahaha. I love this.

Quick Reply

Latest