The Student Room Group

Being 'automatically' considered for M100 Law and another question...

Hi there I have two questions...

(1) I'm applying for Law with French Law to Bristol amongst other universities. Their website says that whilst only five students are admitted onto this course, those that are unsuccessful are automatically considered for M100 straight law.

How would this circumstance show itself on UCAS? Would I receive a notification saying my application to read Law with French Law was ''unsuccessful'' and then how would I be notified that I'd been given (hopefully) a place to read straight law? I hope you understand what I mean it's slightly confusing but a number of universities work like this i.e. you can apply for Law with French/German/Hispanic Law and also be considered for straight law - so sort of like two applications in one.

(2) Do you think my university choices are ok with these grades:

GCSE - 8A* + A

A Level - AAAb in Spanish French and History (+ English lit AS) + AEA in Spanish

I'm applying to UCL, KCL, Bristol and Manchester to read law.

Many thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Your grades are great and on paper you'll be fine; remember, your personal statement is also important and all of the universities which you just listed, save for Mancheter, require the LNAT test. It may be a good idea for you to apply to another non-LNAT university so as to reduce the risk of applying to LNAT places if the LNAT doesn't go as well as you hope. I can't give you a definitive answer to your first question but I suspect that when track updates your course code will change to "M100" and the relevant status of your application will be displayed. They'll email/write to inform you of their decision as well. :smile:
Reply 2
i know people who have had offers for different courses than the one they applyed for and it just comes through straight away as a conditional and the ucas code will have changed. so you will know you have not got on the french course but have got on the regular course at the same time. (this is just general info, not specific to bristol or law but i guess it would be the same)
Reply 3
miranda13
i know people who have had offers for different courses than the one they applyed for and it just comes through straight away as a conditional and the ucas code will have changed. so you will know you have not got on the french course but have got on the regular course at the same time. (this is just general info, not specific to bristol or law but i guess it would be the same)

Oh right that makes sense. Thank you very much both of you. :smile:

One more question - do people usually pick more than one non-LNAT university - I have booked LNAT etc but as I have discussed Manchester is my only non-LNAT but still asking for AAA which I have...
Reply 4
ilovetsr1990x
Oh right that makes sense. Thank you very much both of you. :smile:

One more question - do people usually pick more than one non-LNAT university - I have booked LNAT etc but as I have discussed Manchester is my only non-LNAT but still asking for AAA which I have...

Yes; Manchester may not ask for the LNAT but they're still a top school and not too far behind your other options in terms of the difficulty of getting an offer. Look at places like Sheffield, Southampton and Leicester for good schools which will provide a safer, non-LNAT alternative.
Reply 5
Mr_Deeds
Yes; Manchester may not ask for the LNAT but they're still a top school and not too far behind your other options in terms of the difficulty of getting an offer. Look at places like Sheffield, Southampton and Leicester for good schools which will provide a safer, non-LNAT alternative.

Hmm when I went to my former UCAS advisor she told me to just go ahead and apply for AAA law schools since I already have those requirements. And the AAB law schools weren't of great calibre.
Reply 6
whoever todl you that AAB law school weren't of great calibre is an idiot. I got AAA at as and A level but still got rejected by warwick i know someone who got AAAA at as and AAAA at A2 applied to 5 high ranking uni and got 5 rejections- even though he was told his ps was very good. I think you need an insurance tbf - i Lancaster still AAB that's a good law school with lower requirements. Hull#s law school is also quite well regarded despite requiring ABB for entry - good industry links
Reply 7
ilovetsr1990x
Hmm when I went to my former UCAS advisor she told me to just go ahead and apply for AAA law schools since I already have those requirements. And the AAB law schools weren't of great calibre.

That would be good advice if the top law schools looked only at your A-Level grades. Unfortunately they don't and your teachers/UCAS advisors are probably unware of the LNAT test and its significance in the admissions process, most are. UCL have rejected people in the past for scoring less than 18 and similarly KCL have rejected people for scoring less than 16. Bristol also factor the LNAT into their decision making process on a point scoring system.

Last year the average LNAT mark was 16.7. If like 50% of law students who applied last year, you also score less than that mark, potentially getting into 3 of your 4 choices has already become an upwards struggle. It's up to you, but it's always advisable to spread the risk. Also, there are plenty of excellent AAB law schools but the ones I mentioned above (Sheffield, Leicester and Southampton) are all AAA universities anyway.
Reply 8
isn't there a wiki on law school requirements?
Reply 9
The_Goose
isn't there a wiki on law school requirements?

:yep: clicky. It needs updating though as a lot of it is based on 2007 data; in 2008 the univerities took a much harsher stance with the LNAT and I suspect that last year was no exception either.
Reply 10
The_Goose
whoever todl you that AAB law school weren't of great calibre is an idiot. I got AAA at as and A level but still got rejected by warwick i know someone who got AAAA at as and AAAA at A2 applied to 5 high ranking uni and got 5 rejections- even though he was told his ps was very good. I think you need an insurance tbf - i Lancaster still AAB that's a good law school with lower requirements. Hull#s law school is also quite well regarded despite requiring ABB for entry - good industry links

Thanks for your advice. Yeh I was thinking of Hull or maybe City University.

I'm really scared now - I don't want five rejections :s-smilie: I hope I do well in the LNAT. 50 per cent of people get less than 16.5 :eek: omg.
Reply 11
ilovetsr1990x
50 per cent of people get less than 16.5 :eek: omg.

Hence the need for a safer, non-LNAT choice which isn't as prestigious a school as Manchester.
Reply 12
Mr_Deeds
Hence the need for a safer, non-LNAT choice which isn't as prestigious a school as Manchester.

But then again I am older than the average 17 year old taking LNAT.

I dunno - I really want to apply to UCL KCL and Bristol so I don't want to scarifice one of these for another non-LNAT university.
ilovetsr1990x
Thanks for your advice. Yeh I was thinking of Hull or maybe City University.

I'm really scared now - I don't want five rejections :s-smilie: I hope I do well in the LNAT. 50 per cent of people get less than 16.5 :eek: omg.

I had 5 non LNAT choices =P £40? nah.
Reply 14
ilovetsr1990x
But then again I am older than the average 17 year old taking LNAT.

I dunno - I really want to apply to UCL KCL and Bristol so I don't want to scarifice one of these for another non-LNAT university.

You get 5 choices so you could keep UCL, KCL and Bristol; still apply to Manchester and another non-LNAT university. There are lots of excellent law schools like LSE and Warwick which don't ask for the LNAT but since your other four are all very competitive universities, places like Sheffield, Southampton and Leicester will probably be better bets. :smile:
Reply 15
Mr_Deeds
You get 5 choices so you could keep UCL, KCL and Bristol; still apply to Manchester and another non-LNAT university. There are lots of excellent law schools like LSE and Warwick which don't ask for the LNAT but since your other four are all very competitive universities, places like Sheffield, Southampton and Leicester will probably be better bets. :smile:

Two of my choices are used on KCL - Law and Law with French Law as KCL doesn't let you apply for one and then have autmatic consideration for the other.

Thank you for your help btw - your replies are always fair and efficient :smile:
Reply 16
ilovetsr1990x
Two of my choices are used on KCL - Law and Law with French Law as KCL doesn't let you apply for one and then have autmatic consideration for the other.

Thank you for your help btw - your replies are always fair and efficient :smile:

I think, given that you've already achieved your grades and that you've got a little more life experience than the average 17 year old applicant, you'll probably be fine anyway. You may consider swapping the M100 at KCL or the Manchester with another less risky AAA university but if you have your heart set on your current choices then you should probably go for it. And you're welcome. :smile:
Reply 17
I applied for law and french at bristol, and only got offered a place for M100 law. On track next to the institution it said "conditional", but the course code had changed to M100, and the decision letter said "note: this offer is for M100 only"

Good luck, and I may see you next year :smile:
ilovetsr1990x
Hi there I have two questions...

(1) I'm applying for Law with French Law to Bristol amongst other universities. Their website says that whilst only five students are admitted onto this course, those that are unsuccessful are automatically considered for M100 straight law.

How would this circumstance show itself on UCAS? Would I receive a notification saying my application to read Law with French Law was ''unsuccessful'' and then how would I be notified that I'd been given (hopefully) a place to read straight law? I hope you understand what I mean it's slightly confusing but a number of universities work like this i.e. you can apply for Law with French/German/Hispanic Law and also be considered for straight law - so sort of like two applications in one.

(2) Do you think my university choices are ok with these grades:

GCSE - 8A* + A

A Level - AAAb in Spanish French and History (+ English lit AS) + AEA in Spanish

I'm applying to UCL, KCL, Bristol and Manchester to read law.

Many thanks :smile:

Just to let you know, there were actually only 3 accepted Law and French students last year (the other two you quoted were for Law and German).

Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending