The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Problemo with Identification

Ok basically my passport runs out today, I don't have enough money to get a new one (and it wont come in time for uni anyway, leaving on the 26th). I also just passed my driving test so i wont have my licence for a couple of weeks, in terms of enrolment i can bring a birth certificate, but for clubs will they except the southampton student card?

Thanks, Deamer44
Reply 1
Clubs don't tend to accept your Uni ID card as proof of age as there are some students at the University under the age of 18. Also, they are outside of the University and the Union, so it is a legal requirement for them to check age and you need something like a drivers licence/passport as proof of age.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2

will my out of date passport work?
Reply 3
I just had a situation like this, it also messed up my Student Finance, because the passport wasn't valid they blocked all my payments going to me. :frown:
I've since got a new passport but they want me to send it to them now, which means I wouldn't have it when I start Uni (also on the 26th). I've sent them my Birth Certificate instead now, but that'll still take about 2 weeks ¬_¬

From what I'm told, clubs only accept Passports and Drivers Licenses. Only places on campus tend to accept student ID.
http://www.soton.ac.uk/enrol/imported_pdf/list_of_valid_identity_documents_1_3.pdf - if you haven't got the right ID then you can't collect your Soton ID card from your School.

It says valid/unexpired so your old passport wont work - contact the email/phone number on that document and find out if they're able to accept anything else that you've got or some other alternatives - otherwise you'll be a bit stuck when you arrive. When did you send off your driving licence stuff? because they tend to come through a lot faster than the time they "promise" (ie they say it'll be within 28 days but usually it's within a week or so).

If you can get your ID card then most clubs would accept that along with a birth certificate in the same name...or find out how quick/easy it is to get a PASS proof of age card.
Reply 5

Well i'm going to bring down my birth certificate for the enrolment, but im not going to bring that to clubs. I think they will except a 4 day old passport surly in the clubs?
Reply 6
Clubs dont accept birth certificate anyway it doesnt have your photo on it.

You really need a driving license (full or provisional) or a passport.

You may get away with your out of date passport - its your best bet. It still proves your age, out of date or not - anyone who doesnt accept it is an idiot, lol.
deamer44
Well i'm going to bring down my birth certificate for the enrolment, but im not going to bring that to clubs. I think they will except a 4 day old passport surly in the clubs?

i'm sure they will - as long as you look like your photo
Reply 8

Dam me for taking my driving test too late! i'm only worried because its freshers week :frown: ill have my licence within a week anyway hopefully!
For enrolment you need a valid passport/driving licence/PASS card AND birth certificate/etc from the second list - if you don't have a passport/driving licence then you'll need to contact the student service centre to arrange something else acceptable or you wont be able to collect your soton ID card (and so you wont be able to use the library/sports stuff and might not be allowed into the union buildings for events).

The PASS proof of age cards are available for £10-20 within a week or so though...might be worth looking into them (as they'd be valid for enrolment AND for getting into clubs)
Reply 10

It does look like me so I should be fine :smile:
Reply 11

what number should I ring?
Reply 12
OP i reckon you'll be fine with your old passport. By the way, my siblings went to your school :smile:
Reply 13
deamer44

I'm guessing that they wont even realise that it's out of date. Because you haven't applied for a one, it wont be clipped.

Latest

Trending

Trending