The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by undercover65
Thanks GANFYD,
Good advice which I will def' take. I am avoiding any med' school that is asking for an A* in their offer as I don't want to add to the pressure (lightweight!).
How are your applications going?

Mine went fine, thank you! I graduated 25 years ago!
I started doing all this for son #1, who is now at medical school, and am now researching for son #2 who is contemplating applying next year. In the meantime, you lot keep me busy! Along with my job as a GP and Mum to 3 children!
Original post by Orangeflower6
Sheffield looks good in my opinion as they are ranking UKCAT this year but UEA don't put much emphasis on UKCAT and PS makes up 33% of their assessment and GCSES also make up 33%. Liverpool are PS heavy with a low UKCAT cut off so it depends how good your PS is, you would loose marks for your GCSEs though, have a look at their scoring system. Try Newcastle, Southampton, Manchester etc as they are UKCAT heavy and would almost guarantee an interview without having to rely on the subjectivity of PS assessment.

Thank you. Currently revising choices. Not easy to get to all the details but the threads above are helping.
Hey,
I am not being able to choose between Manchester and Newcastle.
Stats: GCSE 7A* 2A , UKCAT 2080 sj band 1, IB 43/45
I was leaning towards Newcastle, but I like both the courses.
I am just worried about their UKCAT cut off. Is Manchester going to be a comparatively safer option?
Original post by Orangeflower6
Aberdeen is a traditional course so I'm unsure of it. Plus its at the other end of the country, but if I had a chance there I'd take it.
Leicester I was above the points cut off last year but only just, so its a risk.
Keele may be good as I have the 7A* at GCSE which people were being invited with based on academics alone last year. The R and R form is subjective so if I don't get invited based on my academics it could be a risk, but I have almost 200 hours of volunteering and still counting to put on the form and the maximum credit for duration of work experience is given for more than 160 hours. However, I'm unsure of the location. I'm in a bit of a mess!
Just want to go where my chances are best though!

I have just checked the Keele website, and there is nothing on it this year to say they are making any selections based on academics alone (and there definitely was last year)

"Phase 2 Shortlisting
Home/ EU applicants: Shortlisting for interview is based on the Roles & Responsibilities form.
Overseas applicants: Shortlisting for interview is based on the BMAT score.
A proportion of interviews will be allocated to students who demonstrate evidence of having overcome significant social, economic and/or educational disadvantage, see Widening Participation drop down menu."

It may be worth contacting them to clarify if this is still the case or not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
I have just checked the Keele website, and there is nothing on it this year to say they are making any selections based on academics alone (and there definitely was last year)

"Phase 2 Shortlisting
Home/ EU applicants: Shortlisting for interview is based on the Roles & Responsibilities form.
Overseas applicants: Shortlisting for interview is based on the BMAT score.
A proportion of interviews will be allocated to students who demonstrate evidence of having overcome significant social, economic and/or educational disadvantage, see Widening Participation drop down menu."

It may be worth contacting them to clarify if this is still the case or not.

Ill definitely contact them as I noticed that there was nothing to say they were doing so, if you say it was there last year perhaps they've changed it this year because not everyone is doing AS levels.. Thank you!
do i have a chance at any medical school?
my grades are: GCSE: 2 A* 5 A 3 B
A2 predictions- A* A A
UKCAT 620 average

Work experience:
1 week gp surgery, 1 week hospital, 1 week hospice, 2 weeks hospital in africa

voluntary work:1 year at cancer research charity shop, 4 months at kumon, 2 weeks at residential home

i know that if i apply it would have to be at personal statement heavy unis, currently my choices are: bristol, liverpool, manchester and barts london/newcastle. Does anyone have any suggestions on which unis i should apply to instead of my current choices. thanks in advance!!
Original post by GANFYD
Mine went fine, thank you! I graduated 25 years ago!
I started doing all this for son #1, who is now at medical school, and am now researching for son #2 who is contemplating applying next year. In the meantime, you lot keep me busy! Along with my job as a GP and Mum to 3 children!

HaHa, keep up the good work as it is helping us all a lot!
Can I ask where your son no.1 is and does he enjoy it, and what are your feelings about another son applying?
Original post by Medsoc123
A2 predictions- A* A A
UKCAT 620 average

Work experience:

voluntary work:1 year at cancer research charity shop, 4 months at kumon, 2 weeks at residential home

i know that if i apply it would have to be at personal statement heavy unis, currently my choices are: bristol, liverpool, manchester and barts london/newcastle. Does anyone have any suggestions on which unis i should apply to instead of my current choices. thanks in advance!!

I'd advise not to apply to Manchester or Newcastle, your UKCAT simply isn't high enough for either of them :no:
Barts and the London would also be very risky unless you have a very high UCAS tariff, and I'm talking a tariff of at least 300. If you have that, then that's great! If not, definitely apply elsewhere.

Are you going to do the BMAT? If so you could consider BSMS and Imperial.
Original post by undercover65
HaHa, keep up the good work as it is helping us all a lot!
Can I ask where your son no.1 is and does he enjoy it, and what are your feelings about another son applying?

Son #1 is at Newcastle, and he is loving the course and Uni life, but has looked at what Jeremy Hunt has done to the NHS and is not sure he wants to be a Dr in the UK any more, so is contemplating changing courses.
My children have seen the reality of life as a Dr from being very young (hubby is a Consultant, so they see it from all sides) and they are.......strong minded and independent......is probably the best way to put it, so my opinions on their career choices are unlikely to be heeded. We both love the actual work we do, and I think they see that, but think the NHS is a pretty crappy place to work right now, and am not sure either of us would choose medicine as a career in the UK if we were starting out again (sorry, Guys!)
Original post by Medsoc123
A2 predictions- A* A A
UKCAT 620 average

Work experience:

Bristol use UKCAT for 10%, academics 20% and PS 70% of selection criteria.
Liverpool scores GCSEs and uses UKCAT and had a cut off of 625 last year, I believe, then uses PS. You would need to score your GCSEs to see if you have any chance.
Manchester uses UKCAT ranking, and had a cut off of about 665 last year, then scores their equivalent of the PS
Barts uses UCAS tariff and UKCAT 50:50
Newcastle ranks purely on UKCAT, and recent cut offs have been around 685-690.

With your stats, this would mean Bristol is the only one you are possibly going to meet the criteria for, and maybe Liverpool.
Also, Keele have a UKCAT cut off that excludes the bottom 20% of scores, then uses their equivalent of the PS to score applicants, so they may be an option.
UEA may be worth looking at, although your GCSEs may not meet their criteria.
You could always sit the BMAT.
Otherwise, you could achieve your A2 grades and reapply with achieved grades, as these often override GCSE grades, and many people do better in the UKCAT at a second sitting.
Hey guys,
i'm an International student, and have just done my UKCAT, getting 810 Average! :biggrin: (670 VR 890 QR 870 AR) Band 2
I obtained 6 A*s 2As in my IGCSEs,
3 A's 2 Cs in my AS (Resitting the C's next month)
Predicted 1 A* 3 As in my A levels.
Have done reasonable Voluntary and shadowing work (65 hrs) And have been House captain for 4 years now
I would be really grateful if i can get advice on which medical schools id be best placed to apply and get an interview, keeping in mind i'm an International student :smile: Currently i'm thinking about KCL, Birmingham, Cardiff and Bristol, but with the high UKCAT score i got i'm thinking about adding Newcastle or Manchester instead of Cardiff/Bristol. Any advices would be well appreciated

Thanks alot! :biggrin::h:
Original post by doculmc7171
I'm applying for hull York, Leeds and Sheffield.
I'm stuck between Manchester and Leicester for my last choice. I like both universities and both cities. I don't have a preference when it comes to pbl vs integrated. So I don't know which one to choose. Manchester is closer to home but I have a weak personal statement and so I think the non-academic form they ask for would put me at a disadvantage. I have good GCSEs (7A*s 1A 1B) and a good UKCAT (740 avg) so I am more likely to get an interview at Leicester because they look at gcses and UKCAT combined. But Manchester is closer to home (I live in Bradford).
Which medical school is better in your opinion? I'm a Muslim so the "night life" is irrelevant. Which city is better and more 'homely'?
Thanks for any advice.

Manchester is renowned for it's nightlife. Leicester is smaller and has the largest proportion of asians of any city in the uk, although more hindu than muslim. It just depends on your point of view.
Reply 5852
Hiya,

I'm wondering what medical schools I have the best chance of getting into this year with 3A*'s,7A's and a B at GCSE

I have a B in AS maths and I'm predicted AAA for Bio, Chem and psychology.

My UKCAT was

VR: 420
AR:720
QR:710

With band 2

I'm pretty clueless to where is best to apply because I feel like my stats really let me down, should I sit the BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Worried abc
Thank you. Currently revising choices. Not easy to get to all the details but the threads above are helping.

Hi again,
I'm trying to find a way to work out the UCAS points for the GCSEs but having no luck.
Found the following in Bart's selection ...

"11. Selection process and sequence11.1Applications are firstly reviewed within the Admissions Office to check that they meet the minimum academic requirements. Any applications which do not meet the minimum academic requirements will be rejected at this point.
11.2A100 and A200 applicants an overall score within the third decile range or above in the UKCAT and meet our minimum academic entry criteria will be given a score for their UCAS tariff based on achieved/predicted grades for all tariffable criteria or a weighted score for graduates based on degree classification Candidates will be expected to achieve or be predicted a UCAS tariff from the scoring Academic component of 410 or more. We aim to interview approximately 800 for A100 and up to 250 for A200 applicants on the basis of UKCAT score and predicted UCAS tariff or the weighted score for graduates."

It appears that the UCAS points referred to are for the grades predicted for A Levels. There doesn't seem to be any reference to grades already achieved ie GCSEs. Can any one shed light on this please??
Original post by Worried abc
Hi again,
I'm trying to find a way to work out the UCAS points for the GCSEs but having no luck.
Found the following in Bart's selection ...

"11. Selection process and sequence11.1Applications are firstly reviewed within the Admissions Office to check that they meet the minimum academic requirements. Any applications which do not meet the minimum academic requirements will be rejected at this point.
11.2A100 and A200 applicants an overall score within the third decile range or above in the UKCAT and meet our minimum academic entry criteria will be given a score for their UCAS tariff based on achieved/predicted grades for all tariffable criteria or a weighted score for graduates based on degree classification Candidates will be expected to achieve or be predicted a UCAS tariff from the scoring Academic component of 410 or more. We aim to interview approximately 800 for A100 and up to 250 for A200 applicants on the basis of UKCAT score and predicted UCAS tariff or the weighted score for graduates."

It appears that the UCAS points referred to are for the grades predicted for A Levels. There doesn't seem to be any reference to grades already achieved ie GCSEs. Can any one shed light on this please??

UCAS tariff does not apply to GCSEs. It is achieved AS levels (if not being carried on to A2), predicted A2, various music and other external qualifications, and other exams that are unlikely to be relevant for medicine.
There is a calculator here:
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/calculator
Original post by AWx
Hiya,

I'm wondering what medical schools I have the best chance of getting into this year with 3A*'s,7A's and a B at GCSE

I have a B in AS maths and I'm predicted AAA for Bio, Chem and psychology.

My UKCAT was

VR: 420
AR:720
QR:710

With band 2

I'm pretty clueless to where is best to apply because I feel like my stats really let me down, should I sit the BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Three posts above yours on this thread is a response to somebody with very similar stats to yours. You differ in being predicted AAA, so Keele may not look at you, as they ask for A*AA. You need to do a bit of research and narrow things down then come back with some specific questions, not just ask for somebody to tell you what to do. Any degree course will have a large amount of self directed learning, and all this information is out there, so start reading websites, prepare a spreadsheet and see where might fit your stats. Good luck!
Original post by Dubaistudent101
Hey guys,
i'm an International student, and have just done my UKCAT, getting 810 Average! :biggrin: (670 VR 890 QR 870 AR) Band 2
I obtained 6 A*s 2As in my IGCSEs,
3 A's 2 Cs in my AS (Resitting the C's next month)
Predicted 1 A* 3 As in my A levels.
Have done reasonable Voluntary and shadowing work (65 hrs) And have been House captain for 4 years now
I would be really grateful if i can get advice on which medical schools id be best placed to apply and get an interview, keeping in mind i'm an International student :smile: Currently i'm thinking about KCL, Birmingham, Cardiff and Bristol, but with the high UKCAT score i got i'm thinking about adding Newcastle or Manchester instead of Cardiff/Bristol. Any advices would be well appreciated

Thanks alot! :biggrin::h:

See posts #5849, #5852 & #5877 on this thread.
But why are you doing 4 A2s? Nowhere requires this, and you risk dropping grades in those you are sitting-as the 3As and 2Cs in your ASs may suggest. You are better taking 3 and guaranteeing good grades than taking 4 and perhaps dropping a grade. A*A*BB will not do instead of AAA!
Reply 5857
GCSE: 3A*, 6A, 2B

AS Levels: A (Maths AS),A (Maths A2), A (Biology),A (Physics), B (Chemistry), C (General Studies)

UKCAT:
VR: 650
QR: 890
AR: 650
SJT: Band 3
Average: 730

Although my GCSEs were quite weak, my UKCAT score and AS results were good, so I'm looking for a uni such as Newcastle which gives interviews based on these things, so I have a good chance of acceptance.

Currently I'm looking at: Sheffield, Newcastle, Queen Mary's London, King's

I'm unsure of King's, and not sure whether hull-york is a better choice
Original post by ipanda99
Hi,

Do you have any idea what the GCSE scoring system for UEA is?

I have 6A*s 4As at GCSE.
A*A*A as my prediction for A2.
UKCAT: 637 avg Band 2

Work Exp/Extra Curricular:
- GP
- Liver Unit at St Mary's
- National Hospital of Neurology and Neurosurgery
- Peer Mentoring 1 Year
- Maths Tutoring 1 Year
- Royal College of Surgeons Conference
- Kings Outreach
- Lead Prefect
- Care Home ongoing

What should be my best BMAT university choice as I am only picking one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No idea of the actual scoring system, all I know is they take GCSE, Alevel and UKCAT performance into consideration.

For BMAT schools what about imperial, BSMS, lancaster?
Original post by Natalierm2707
No idea of the actual scoring system, all I know is they take GCSE, Alevel and UKCAT performance into consideration.

For BMAT schools what about imperial, BSMS, lancaster?

Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking of those BMAT schools however was put off by BSMS and Imperial wanting a high BMAT score. Would UCL be a good contender?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending