Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It will be no bad thing if the design is of a high standard, and it's had time put into it. I might develop it along my computing course at A/AS Level. Remember, some people make websites for a living. I'll also have plenty of time to do it this Summer, so it won't make any difference to my school work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    yeh but those posh websites take time and effort, probably time and effort better spent on school work to get you into oxbridge or any uni
    off the top of my head - some pre-uni extracurriculars of my oxbridge friends:

gold DoE
    school / county orchestras
    equestrianism to a fairly high level
    rowing "
    football "
    rugby "
    ballroom dancing "
    oodles of charity work
    local amateur productions
    writing for local papers

all of these required some "time and effort", methinks.. :rolleyes:

if you seriously can't balance the time school-work requires with having a life, including some outside-of-academic-interests - don't go to oxbridge because the step-up in workload & lack of pressure release would probably kill you.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think they are important.. in some instances more than others. If people have got say AAA at a level AS level they might look at GCSE's to try and distinguish between candidates more possibly? This is academically I mean.. noy including extra-curricular stuff.

ReputationRep:
    They're not as important as your teachers will try to make you believe, but they're still important and obviously it's in your best interests to do as well as you can. The grades needed to progress to A-levels vary hugely according to the school or college, but chances are, if you're in a top private or grammar school that asks for really high grades, you'll get them because you were intelligent enough to have got a place. As for university, it depends on the university itself and the course; obviously medicine, law or English at Oxbridge will demand higher grades than a less popular course like maths or languages at a lesser university. Generally though, if you get all A*-Cs and an A*/A in the subject you want to study, AS grades, A-level predictions, personal statement, reference and interview if you have one will be much more important.

ReputationRep:
    Where did u get the idea that maths isnt a popular course?

ReputationRep:
    One word - Metriculation.

ReputationRep:
    gold DoE
    school / county orchestras
    equestrianism to a fairly high level
    rowing "
    football "
    rugby "
    ballroom dancing "
    oodles of charity work
    local amateur productions
    writing for local papers
    Ballroom Dancing! :p: It's kinda odd, because the tutors I was speaking too said that Duke of Edinburgh award isn't seen as an advantage at all, not even the Gold. They said they're really not arsed about it; which is why I sacked mine off half way through Silver!

ReputationRep:
    Lol - My UCAS won't look very impressive...

Represented School at NSID and OU Debating Championships (not getting very far.. but hey!)

Elected School Council Member 2003-4 (hopefully next year too - not allowed to be on it 2 years in a row!)

Community Service (a smidge)

Charity event organiser (once!)

I think that's about it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    They're not as important as your teachers will try to make you believe, but they're still important and obviously it's in your best interests to do as well as you can. The grades needed to progress to A-levels vary hugely according to the school or college, but chances are, if you're in a top private or grammar school that asks for really high grades, you'll get them because you were intelligent enough to have got a place. As for university, it depends on the university itself and the course; obviously medicine, law or English at Oxbridge will demand higher grades than a less popular course like maths or languages at a lesser university. Generally though, if you get all A*-Cs and an A*/A in the subject you want to study, AS grades, A-level predictions, personal statement, reference and interview if you have one will be much more important.
    Thanks, informative post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    cool, hey and congrats on 400th post
    thanx xoxo

ReputationRep:

Represented School at NSID and OU Debating Championships (not getting very far.. but hey!)

Elected School Council Member 2003-4 (hopefully next year too - not allowed to be on it 2 years in a row!)

Heh, pretty similar to me. Also elected School Council co-chair, (I helped our school achieve Fair Trade status don't ya know), and I've been to the Eurpean Parliament in Strasbourg for a debating conference, and am going again in a couple of months! I do loads of sports so that should be good, I've done community service about twice! Have Bronze D of E and half a Silver! :p: JSLA award etc, the usual stuff....

ReputationRep:
    lol.that wont make a difference anyway.the main thing will be scoring high marks in the entrance test and answering well in the interview. At the interview they may ask you some questions about ur subject. It may be possible that these achievements may help, but not a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)

this is soooo lame. You are saying that it wont look impressive, whilst listing all the extraordinary thing you ve done. It seems to me quite arrogant and big headed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryt)

YOu have got to blag it someone could have done 1/2 that stuff but it will look better if their blagging it up while you just say a "smidge" of charity work 10 years ago!

ReputationRep:
    hmm
    ive only done 8 gcse
    but im prety sure of 6A* and 2 A s
    would that be all right for applying to oxbridge for a hard course like enginering

ReputationRep:
    for christ sake. Some of the people on this forum are very worried about gcse grades and oxford. This is pathetic really.
    take a look at this http://www.oxbridge-admissions.org.uk/profiles/
    even people with all A*s get rejected. Do you know why?It is cuz they are just nerds and know nothing except their books. They cant use their logic properly during an interview. The most important thing is interview and ur performance in the entrance test.You just need to be naturally able in the subject, understand everything and have a good knowledge in everything. Read some books related to engineering. I am doing the same thing. Because I want to study Economics, I read the magazine called the Economist. Pretty interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    for christ sake. Some of the people on this forum are very worried about gcse grades and oxford. This is pathetic really.
    take a look at this http://www.oxbridge-admissions.org.uk/profiles/
    even people with all A*s get rejected. Do you know why?It is cuz they are just nerds and know nothing except their books. They cant use their logic properly during an interview. The most important thing is interview and ur performance in the entrance test.You just need to be naturally able in the subject, understand everything and have a good knowledge in everything. Read some books related to engineering. I am doing the same thing. Because I want to study Economics, I read the magazine called the Economist. Pretty interesting.
    thank you izzy, i said this a while ago in this thread too, but some people just don't really listen and read properly,(somethin youre gonna have to improve on to go to oxbridge)

ReputationRep:
    Universities are going to know if they're communicating with an intelligent person. I'd advise doing crosswords, cryptic puzzles, Sudoku, and anything else you can think of that stimulates your brain. It is possible to elevate your IQ, you know.

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE SuDoku!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    I LOVE SuDoku!
    They're too easy.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.