The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Worcester
University of Worcester
Worcester

Coventry, Derby and Worcester?

Hi guys,

What is your opinion about these universities? Which is better: Coventry uni, Uni of Derby or Worcester? I have to decide which university to choose. Maybe here are someone who are going to apply in these universities?

Thanks. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know about Coventry, but I'm applying to Derby and Worcester :smile: I went to the open day at Worcester yesterday and it looked really good! What course do you want to do?
On campus at University of Worcester
University of Worcester
Worcester
I've just started at Worcester and love it. Definitely recommend going to one of the open days here and at your other choices so you yourself can compare them.
Reply 3
As someone that comes from not far from Worcester Uni, its ok but it has a small student population whilst Coventry and Derby have large numbers so the towns are more student orientated.

Worcester is also a nightmare when it rains :wink: Lets just say the town becomes one big river :o: However the facilities at Worcester are pretty neat and by having a smaller university population you would I guess not feel just like a number where you would at a larger uni.
Reply 4
Aliiiceh
I don't know about Coventry, but I'm applying to Derby and Worcester :smile: I went to the open day at Worcester yesterday and it looked really good! What course do you want to do?

Ooo I went to the Worcester open day too!
Did you go on a tour and get a girl called Vera taking you round!?
What course are you looking at?
=)
Reply 5
Nah, a guy took us round, can't remember his name lol :smile:
I'm looking at film studies with screen writing or journalism :smile: what about you?
xx
Reply 6
I'm planning to take Business studies. And what about Worcester city? :smile:
Actually, I wasn't in one of the open days, because I don't live in England.. :frown:
Reply 7
Aliiiceh
Nah, a guy took us round, can't remember his name lol :smile:
I'm looking at film studies with screen writing or journalism :smile: what about you?
xx

Ahh lucky!
I'm looking at Journalism and Media and Cultural studies :smile:
Don't you think the male Journalism teacher looked like a cross between Eddie Izzard and Derren Brown!?

x
Reply 8
Smofie
Ahh lucky!
I'm looking at Journalism and Media and Cultural studies :smile:
Don't you think the male Journalism teacher looked like a cross between Eddie Izzard and Derren Brown!?

x

Ooh sounds good :smile: I can't decide between screen writing and journalism. I didn't get to see the journalism people because it was so busy! But I'll take your word for it :P

Where are you from? I'm from near Derby so Worcester's not too far for me. Are you looking at any other unis? :smile:

x
Reply 9
Smofie:

I don't think that Journalism teacher looks like a cross between Eddie Izzard and Derren Brown. If you really like this subject you have to study it in more depth and I'm sure you'll enjoy your studies. Are you decided to take this courses or maybe you are still undecided? :smile:
Reply 10
Aliiiceh:

Sometimes it is so hard to make a chose. Actually for me too! I was thinking a lot what studies program to chose, but I chosen to take Business studies as a general degree which offers many professional opportunities as well as I was always interested in Business.
I'm from Lithuania. :smile: Yeah, I am planning to apply in Worcester, Derby and Coventry.
Reply 11
Aliiiceh
Ooh sounds good :smile: I can't decide between screen writing and journalism. I didn't get to see the journalism people because it was so busy! But I'll take your word for it :P

Where are you from? I'm from near Derby so Worcester's not too far for me. Are you looking at any other unis? :smile:

x

I know, I'm still a bit undecided on if I want to do Journalism and Media & Cultural Studies or Media & English Lit.
But on UCAS for Worcester you can't put Journalism and English lit, even though it says so in the prospectus =S

I'm from Rotherham, South Yorkshire.
Yeah the other uni's i'm looking at are Canterbury, Cumbria, Derby and Winchester.
You? :smile:
x
Reply 12
I'm looking at Canterbury as well Coventry, Derby, Worcester and Middlesex. :smile:
Maybe you know approximately when we'll get offers from universities? If I'm not mistaken I think it will be in January.

x
Reply 13
Smofie
I know, I'm still a bit undecided on if I want to do Journalism and Media & Cultural Studies or Media & English Lit.
But on UCAS for Worcester you can't put Journalism and English lit, even though it says so in the prospectus =S

I'm from Rotherham, South Yorkshire.
Yeah the other uni's i'm looking at are Canterbury, Cumbria, Derby and Winchester.
You? :smile:
x

I'm also looking at Derby, and Sheffield Hallam, possibly De Montfort :smile:

I went to the Hallam open day on the 4th and thought it looked great :smile:

x
Reply 14
Aliiiceh
I'm also looking at Derby, and Sheffield Hallam, possibly De Montfort :smile:

I went to the Hallam open day on the 4th and thought it looked great :smile:

x

I think i'm the only person from my school who's not applied to Sheffield Hallam, even though it's about 10 minutes away.

Good luck with your choices :smile:
Have you sent off your UCAS application yet?
Reply 15
Yes, I just sent it today. What about you? :wink:
Reply 16
i also went to worcester uni open day, it looks great there compared to other university open days i've been to. I dont really like the bedrooms hah
I dont go to Coventry, but they have a heck of a lot of good facilities, including the cool Lanchester Library. The uni is very large and they just about own every building on their side of the city centre. Student accomodation should be easy and cheap to find. Like many UK universities, there are a lot of internationals so you shouldn't have much difficult meeting people from similar backgrounds.

Transport links from Coventry to the rest of the country are also quite good, much better than Derby and Worcester. For instance, most trains from/to London pass through Coventry. It's right next to Birmingham too (20 mins on train), which is the UK's second major city. So you have access to great shopping, good airport, NEC arena etc
Reply 18
Thank you 'silent ninja' for your thorough answer. :smile:
silent ninja
Transport links from Coventry to the rest of the country are also quite good, much better than Derby and Worcester. For instance, most trains from/to London pass through Coventry. It's right next to Birmingham too (20 mins on train), which is the UK's second major city. So you have access to great shopping, good airport, NEC arena etc

You say that but Worcester is only 30-40 mins away from Birmingham and it also has a train for London pass through quite a few times a day. I imagine Derby is quite similar too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending