The Student Room Group

Want to study Pharmacy...HELP! Thread

Are you a prospective student, or simply interested about what you need to get into pharmacy and/or unsure about whether you can get in?

Well, this is this is the right place for ALL your questions to (hopefully) be answered!

Basic information can also be found on the Pharmacy Degree Guide.

UCAS Profile for Pharmacy

Got a question about interviews, ask it here

Please quote the user when replying back.

Thanks!

Answers should be wrote in bold

To ALL future pharmacists, remember to join the PHARM SOC
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've read the guide and read about where Biology is seen as a useful aid to Chemistry, I've not done Biology at all. I've actually done Physics throughout with Chemistry during my school years, will this affect my application, Or can Physics really be seen as relevant to the course?
Reply 2
Z_Ahmed
I've read the guide and read about where Biology is seen as a useful aid to Chemistry, I've not done Biology at all. I've actually done Physics throughout with Chemistry during my school years, will this affect my application, Or can Physics really be seen as relevant to the course?

In most cases as long as you have at least two science A-Levels including chemistry then you will be fine. However, there is a possibility that some universities may specify that you have biology which you will find in the prospectus; i did not experience this last year but i did study it so probably didn't really notice if it did say anything about having it.

You will be fine!:biggrin:

It is not directly relevent to the course, i don't think there is much physics in it but i have only just started, perhaps older students can answer that one!
Reply 3
Z_Ahmed

I didn't do Biology Alevel either, like yourself I did Physics instead. It really didn't harm my application either cos I received all my offers. As long as you have two sciences (of which one is Chemistry) then you should be fine. But its best to check the prospectuses of where you're applying. At Bath (where I am now) they have an extra introductory biology module for all those that didn't do Alevel Biology, which I found really helpful. Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 4
how competitive is pharmacy at nottingham
i got ok GCSE all B's and C's no A's
but predicted AAA ....you think i stand a good chance?
Reply 5
I wanted to apply to a 5th choice- Pharmacy, but I don't know where I want to a uni with lower grades such as ABB or BBB. I'm applying to medicine with AAA (chem bio and psychology ) predictions and AAAb at AS-level. So it's just a back-up. . I've done research but I wanted some one who actually has been through it to help me with my choices .

My PS is totally medical-related would that make a difference.
Reply 6
123 alexis
I wanted to apply to a 5th choice- Pharmacy, but I don't know where I want to a uni with lower grades such as ABB or BBB. I'm applying to medicine with AAA (chem bio and psychology ) predictions and AAAb at AS-level. So it's just a back-up. . I've done research but I wanted some one who actually has been through it to help me with my choices .

My PS is totally medical-related would that make a difference.

Well pretty much every university offers grades of ABB-BBB, some AAB that do give offers of ABB. So you have free pick! You would have to email the admissions office about whether they would want you to write a new pharmacy related personal statement. I've read on here that some people have had to write new ones whilst others got in with their medicine ps.
Reply 7
cousto
how competitive is pharmacy at nottingham
i got ok GCSE all B's and C's no A's
but predicted AAA ....you think i stand a good chance?

Yes! You will be fine with AAA.:biggrin:
Reply 8
xxaimeexx
Yes! You will be fine with AAA.:biggrin:

Is nottingham relativly competitive to most places
Reply 9
cousto
Is nottingham relativly competitive to most places

If you have the right predicted grades then you will get an interview and if you do well, an offer, simple! They will give an offer to EVERYONE they like regardless of how many places they have so don't worry about it as if your having to "fight" for a space. However, the competitiveness will show when it comes to results day i.e. they will not have any clearing spaces which is very common with Nottingham!

I hope that helps:s-smilie:
i think my predictions are BBD... with D in chem (B-maths and biology) !! my teachers wont raise the grade, its so stupid im working really hard this year and i could potentially get a B! theyre stoopid prediction is limiting my offers, or i may get none at all?! i thinkin of applyin DMU, Wolvs, Kingston, and i originally i wanted to apply to aston and kings..but is ther much point now. thing is iv got an amazing personal statement! i have a part time job at a chemist! and i hav wrk expereince, decent gcse grades?! wt shall i do? reeally want to do pharmacy im so keen. do uni's really look into predicted grades as much? its such a shame
Reply 11
How much is the PS worth towards you getting an offer, I don't really have anything to write apart from extra curricular activities such as sports and my enthusism, I've not really got involved in school activities and no work experience at all. And this is one of my concerns when I'll be submitting my PS this week to my school for a first draft.
Reply 12
work now, enjoy later
i think my predictions are BBD... with D in chem (B-maths and biology) !! my teachers wont raise the grade, its so stupid im working really hard this year and i could potentially get a B! theyre stoopid prediction is limiting my offers, or i may get none at all?! i thinkin of applyin DMU, Wolvs, Kingston, and i originally i wanted to apply to aston and kings..but is ther much point now. thing is iv got an amazing personal statement! i have a part time job at a chemist! and i hav wrk expereince, decent gcse grades?! wt shall i do? reeally want to do pharmacy im so keen. do uni's really look into predicted grades as much? its such a shame

What happened with me, teachers predicted me grades and then when my application was ready my head of sixth form went through it to see if i agreed with everything and asked me about the predicted grades.
I would definatley speak to yours and say that this prediction is way below what is requested from the universities, otherwise it may prevent you from getting offers. Saying that though, there may be a chance that the offer will not affect your application if you have an amazing personal statement etc.
Reply 13
Z_Ahmed
How much is the PS worth towards you getting an offer, I don't really have anything to write apart from extra curricular activities such as sports and my enthusism, I've not really got involved in school activities and no work experience at all. And this is one of my concerns when I'll be submitting my PS this week to my school for a first draft.

Sorry but you can't be like that, this is your chance to sell yourself!!!!!!!! It has to be as great as possible, can't give up now!!

Start getting involved in school activities; even going on open evenings/days, student voice, mentoring another student with homework, wanting to be a hopeful prefect, taking part in a charity event etc. Do something just to write about.

If you have no work experience, get some (even if it isn't pharmacy related or is just voluntary- it could just be a days work) and mention that you have some planned for X date and that you hope to experience ... and learn... etc.

If you really have nothing to write about, write about previous stuff that you've done- work experience in year 10?

You have had a long time to think about this, a long summer to get pharmacy work experience.

Hope i've helped.:o:
Reply 14
xxaimeexx
Sorry but you can't be like that, this is your chance to sell yourself!!!!!!!! It has to be as great as possible, can't give up now!!

Start getting involved in school activities; even going on open evenings/days, student voice, mentoring another student with homework, wanting to be a hopeful prefect, taking part in a charity event etc. Do something just to write about.

If you have no work experience, get some (even if it isn't pharmacy related or is just voluntary- it could just be a days work) and mention that you have some planned for X date and that you hope to experience ... and learn... etc.

If you really have nothing to write about, write about previous stuff that you've done- work experience in year 10?

You have had a long time to think about this, a long summer to get pharmacy work experience.

Hope i've helped.:o:

Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll think of something.
Reply 15
Z_Ahmed

Work experience is not essential but if you have not been involved in other things then it is a good idea, you need to show why you really want to do pharmacy and how you know that it really is the course for you (your not going to drop out after a year).

Just take part in little events your 6th form and school organize and talk about every tiny skill you gained and how that has related to pharmacy.
Reply 16
work now, enjoy later

Sadly a lot of them do. You have 2 options, apply for a number of foudation courses...or IF you really believe in yourself, get a B in your
A2 chem and go through clearing.

and if you don't get in through clearing for a number of reasons...a gap year is your best option instead of applying this year
Reply 17
Z_Ahmed

Thanks for the pos rep!!:biggrin: :biggrin:
hey

I want to choose pharmacy for my 5th choice, but I am not sure if I should apply to a good uni such as kings or Bath with AAB offers when they are similar to med school offers, or if I should apply to a ABB uni....by the way, if any of you want to recomend a uni to apply to, then please do as I am really not too sure on which uni to apply to either
infernalcradle
hey

I want to choose pharmacy for my 5th choice, but I am not sure if I should apply to a good uni such as kings or Bath with AAB offers when they are similar to med school offers, or if I should apply to a ABB uni....by the way, if any of you want to recomend a uni to apply to, then please do as I am really not too sure on which uni to apply to either

1st question, why are you choosing to do pharmacy?

Do you have any experience?

Latest

Trending

Trending