The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
LuhLah
Yes lol. "If you don't care about grades, then why are you here?" "I'm here, well, .."

He has Aspergers syndrome, but that doesn't give him an excuse for being a pompous prick.

:mad:

Yeah, but if you said that to anyone you'd come out the bad guy. I hate that! There's a guy in my year who's in a wheelchair and he gets away with being a total asshole.
Reply 41
bex285
Yeah, but if you said that to anyone you'd come out the bad guy. I hate that! There's a guy in my year who's in a wheelchair and he gets away with being a total asshole.

Omg I know. Everyone actually can't stick him - we were okay with his outbursts, it's just the bullsh*t that he was saying that bugged us. He always has to question the higher psychology syllabus and have debates about it :rant: :grumble:. I hate, HATE people like that.

And to point out, I have nothing against his disability; just the stuff he says. :colondollar:
Reply 42
LuhLah
Omg I know. Everyone actually can't stick him - we were okay with his outbursts, it's just the bullsh*t that he was saying that bugged us. He always has to question the higher psychology syllabus and have debates about it :rant: :grumble:. I hate, HATE people like that.

And to point out, I have nothing against his disability; just the stuff he says. :colondollar:

Questioning the syllabus? :rofl:
The guy I was talking about tried to sue the school because he was inside during a fire.
It was just a drill.
He now wears a luminous yellow jacket during fire drills :facepalm:
Reply 43
bex285
The guy I was talking about tried to sue the school because he was inside during a fire.
It was just a drill.

:rofl:

Oh dear...

:colone:
Reply 44
bex285
It was just a drill.

:hahaha:
In fairness, if he has Asperger's syndrome, there's a very strong chance that he doesn't know that it's offensive. Things like reading tone, facial expressions and all the relevant social cues are either very difficult or impossible for (some) people with Asperger's. This needn't necessarily be the case, but there's an enormous difference between someone with AS being antisocial and a generic 'someone in a wheelchair'!

Additionally, whilst it's true that it's possible for a student to apparently 'overperform' and get good grades purely by dint of hard work, it's more than a little misleading to come out with glib claims like '5As = regurgitation'. Yes, it is necessary - and this will allow certain students to either over- or underperform. However, I'm fairly happy you'll find grades achieved are strongly correlated with almost any good-faith measurement of intelligence that you choose to devise, and they're certainly very strongly correlated with mental and physical health, earnings and happiness in later life.
Reply 46
TheUnbeliever
In fairness, if he has Asperger's syndrome, there's a very strong chance that he doesn't know that it's offensive. Things like reading tone, facial expressions and all the relevant social cues are either very difficult or impossible for (some) people with Asperger's. This needn't necessarily be the case, but there's an enormous difference between someone with AS being antisocial and a generic 'someone in a wheelchair'!

Additionally, whilst it's true that it's possible for a student to apparently 'overperform' and get good grades purely by dint of hard work, it's more than a little misleading to come out with glib claims like '5As = regurgitation'. Yes, it is necessary - and this will allow certain students to either over- or underperform. However, I'm fairly happy you'll find grades achieved are strongly correlated with almost any good-faith measurement of intelligence that you choose to devise, and they're certainly very strongly correlated with mental and physical health, earnings and happiness in later life.

Totally agree, the common thread was the ability to get away with being rude.
And I agree with what you said about achieving grades :yep:
Thank you Unbeliever, I wanted to say that but I feel like my opinion is slightly biased, on both counts :p:

I don't mean to be patronising but a very powerful tool is empathy. You identify his behaviour under what you see as normal and socially acceptable as that of a prick, that's fine, but be aware that that might be completely different than his intentions. How an observer sees something in my opinion is of little value, without a good view of the intentions.

I'm not getting at anyone, it just particularly irks me when people see those with a disability and judge them as arrogant, annoying or whatever without bothering to attempt to see things from their side.
Reply 48
Meteorshower
I'm not getting at anyone, it just particularly irks me when people see those with a disability and judge them as arrogant, annoying or whatever without bothering to attempt to see things from their side.

I TOTALLY agree with this bit. A close relative of mine actually has special needs and you can't fully comprehend what it feels like to be degraded in some ways by some people until you consider things from there point of view. I don't fully understand what it feels like to be them but have a pretty good idea.

:colone:
Reply 49
SittingOnTheDockOfTheBay
My mum says she's going to run me over with the lawn mower if I don't get 5As.

That made me laugh :biggrin:

OP: I got five As but not in the one year (AAAAB in fifth year, AAA in sixth year, two being Adv. Highers.) My best friend, however, is sickening. She has NINE As at Higher, and two at Advanced Higher. :eek3: Hers were in English, Maths, all three sciences, psychology, French, music and RMPS.
Reply 50
Cleo.

OP: I got five As but not in the one year (AAAAB in fifth year, AAA in sixth year, two being Adv. Highers.) My best friend, however, is sickening. She has NINE As at Higher, and two at Advanced Higher. :eek3: Hers were in English, Maths, all three sciences, psychology, French, music and RMPS.

Bloody hell :woo:
Reply 51
bex285
Bloody hell :woo:

I know, it's insane. They were high As as well eg. dropping one mark in the entire Higher Maths paper. I literally gave up trying to beat her or even asking how she'd done: I got a higher mark than her in Higher French and that was good enough for me! :p:
Reply 52
Cleo.
That made me laugh :biggrin:

Omg, I can barely handle 5.
Reply 53
Cleo.
I know, it's insane. They were high As as well eg. dropping one mark in the entire Higher Maths paper. I literally gave up trying to beat her or even asking how she'd done: I got a higher mark than her in Higher French and that was good enough for me! :p:

'Mon the languages! :p:
Reply 54
LuhLah
Omg, I can barely handle 5.

Haha they weren't all in one year, it was one in 4th year, five in 5th year and three in 6th year (but one was an evening class.)
5 advanced highers?
after i got my AAAAA i got bored and dropped half of mine and i was doing 2.
that person needs a good bump on the head
unless theyre going to havard they wouldnt need more than 2.
silly billy.
HannahLithgow43
unless theyre going to havard they wouldnt need more than 2.

Actually, 3 is pretty much the standard for any English university at all, and isn't unusual for 2nd year entry in Scotland. Your basic point stands, though - I can think of only one situation that might need 4, and none that need 5.
TheUnbeliever
Actually, 3 is pretty much the standard for any English university at all, and isn't unusual for 2nd year entry in Scotland. Your basic point stands, though - I can think of only one situation that might need 4, and none that need 5.

3 for english? really? for first year entry?
my friends going to do an english degree and got an unconditional with AAA nd no advanced highers needed?

4 probably needed for oxbridge yes,
3 for 2nd year entry in scotland (2 for a few)

but 5 is just too far, i mean the homework, the projects, when you go into university you only need to do 3 subjects (which are basclly advanced highers)
5 is unnecessary
HannahLithgow43
my friends going to do an english degree and got an unconditional with AAA nd no advanced highers needed?

An unconditional to a university in England with AAA at Higher (and no Adv. Highers)? I think you may have misunderstood what TheUnbeliever said, but if not; which university, out of interest? :o:
HannahLithgow43

4 probably needed for oxbridge yes,
3 for 2nd year entry in scotland (2 for a few)

but 5 is just too far, i mean the homework, the projects, when you go into university you only need to do 3 subjects (which are basclly advanced highers)
5 is unnecessary

He means an English University, not to study English at University (since a degree at an english Uni is one year less). :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending