The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
meiosis
implications of genome project
intraspecific competition
Reply 2
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo i hate meiosis!
sarah12345
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo i hate meiosis!

:ditto:

I hope we're asked to explain the process of meiosis, nothing else- i cant take it :mad:

I HATE CENTRAL CONCEPTS WITH A PASSION
Meiosis is pure evil, I can never remember it. Plus I get confused between mitosis and meiosis all the time. Luckily I'm not doing Central Concepts though :p: It could still come up in Unifying actually, sh*t!
i hate central concepts too ....die unit 4 die:evil:
Reply 6
Aww, I like meiosis! Well, except the last bit about the lac operon :confused:
I hate photosynthesis and the classification chapter. Ooh and plant growth regulators.... In fact, I just hate plants altogether :p:
Reply 7
I really hope the lac operon stuff doesn't come up. Also I really hate the Kidney, I just can't remember it all!!
violet
.... In fact, I just hate plants altogether :p:

......thats why i want uni to roll on quick
Reply 9
The implications of the genome project
GAH? where is that in the book? :confused:

I think that meiosis will definately come up aswell as PKU and possibly haemophilia with the lack of factor 8,. Just plllllls dont make succession and crappy coppicing come up that is so boring.
your thoughts?
Sarah
Reply 10
its in the syllabus, was in as syllabus and is barely mentioned in the textbook

its briefly mentioned after sickle cell where it talks about PKU

but basically its stuff like find genetic diseases early so advice cn b given bout diet/lifestyle bla bla bla
but its bad becos people my ask for dna samples wen u get a job to see if theres anything dodgy about you, or u might be uninsurable like if u got huntingtons chorea, the insurance company will see that and you basically wont get life insurance

stuf like that, if u still got ur as revision guide i think theres some stuff in there
Reply 11
Thanks, kurupt1 & Sarahhuges for your advice on what might come up.

Btw, there's a lot more on the implications of the Human Genome Project in Biology 1, pp 151, which should help.

Anyone else got any predictions?
Reply 12
I hope action potentials or synapses do.. I spent all day learning those! And they didn't really come up on the Jan 05 paper so they might :biggrin:
I hope they appear in Central Concepts and NOT Unifying Concepts because I don't know them at all!
-Sian-
I hope they appear in Central Concepts and NOT Unifying Concepts because I don't know them at all!

HEY, dont throw your garbage at us CC peasants!!!
Reply 15
i think im starting to get good at unifying concepts, i just got 49/60 on jan 2004!!!!
thats an A!!!!!!!
kurupt1
i think im starting to get good at unifying concepts, i just got 49/60 on jan 2004!!!!
thats an A!!!!!!!

OMG can I have your brain please?! Thanks in advance :smile:
My highest has been 34/60, but usually I get 22/60.
Reply 17
kurupt1
thats an A!!!!!!!

Not to break your confidence, but i generally get like 30s/35s in unifying, but in the paper u did, i got 53..hehe i thought it was an easy paper...i dont think we will have the same luck :frown:

PS - sian, OCR biology doesnt account for 'how much you revise'. But rather...the way you percieve the question some of the marks on the mark scheme may never cross your mind even if you no the topic back to front unfortunatly. REVISE THE MARK SCHEMES I SAY- easy way to do it is go through all the papers for the unit with correct answers from the MS, then arrange them into sub-categories i.e Kidney, Heart, vessels etc etc...then use thos as revision notes
Yeah, but it's sooo annoying doing it like that! That's what I did for human health and disease and it did my head in for some reason.

53/60 on a UC paper?! Apparently over 50 is "amazing" lol
Reply 19
yeh wot i try to do is decode the question, and find out what they are 'really' trying to find out in terms of the syllabuses, and then i write down all the key points for that section that come into my head...it helps in a sense because then your woffling less, and getting down to the point. BUT this method DOESNT work with Evolution, therefore i think it should rott in hell

Latest

Trending

Trending