The Student Room Group

Oxford Biology (Biological Sciences) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Ucasaddict
Did you perhaps get an offer from york already ??

It's possible that in 5 years this has changed, but in my year they gave out one massive bunch of offers on exactly the same day. IIRC it was about November the 14th (because I had three open days on consecutive Wednesdays in November and York was the second one) I remember this quite clearly because they asked us for "interview" and then once we were there said actually we're giving you all offers - they will all appear tomorrow. Having spent £160 to get there, I was not best pleased. :rolleyes:
Reply 41
Ucasaddict
Did you perhaps get an offer from york already ??

I got one last week, ABB and a B in AS chem. :smile:
Reply 42
Still waiting no offers yet :frown:
Reply 43
Angst_
I got one last week, ABB and a B in AS chem. :smile:

then maybe we ll be together ^^ :yep:

my offer is 14/20 overall (i have 8 subjects -technically 10 because we have history and geography together and physics and chemistry together too ^^) ) 14 /20 biology and 20/20 in chemistry (this is near impossible ... most teachers won t put over 18 even if it s a perfect copy so.... i suppose i ll call them but i m waiting to see what my other offers are )

but im way more into oxford (you too i suupose ^^) the open day was AWESOME !!! But since nothing is sure i don t want to get my hopes too high ^^

maybe interview then ?? :biggrin:
Reply 44
What were the questions of interview before? Were they closely related to what we learned in A-level or mostly some tricky questions we never heard of? Can anyone give some examples? Thx
Reply 45
HartLou
What were the questions of interview before? Were they closely related to what we learned in A-level or mostly some tricky questions we never heard of? Can anyone give some examples? Thx

I seriously need to add a section on this to the wiki

Okay, the regular format is one data based question and one props question. Depending on the interviewer you may or may not be lead in by some simple "what's the thing interesting you most in biology at the moment?" or "tell us about the most recent article / book you read?" or something like that. Data based will be something like 'can you describe the population fluctuations demonstrated by this data' or 'can you interpret this graph of TB cases in the UK and interpret the results' or 'can you explain the distribution of finches in this tree'. Prop based question will be something like 'How would you go about investigating whether these two feathers came from the same bird?' or 'Describe what you think this is [a flower - trust me, it wasn't that obvious] and how do you think it might be pollinated?'
The key isn't right answers - it's talking through your thought process out loud. If you tell them you think a wind pollinated flower is bird pollinated then that's fine as long as the reason is that you think it's more important that it's red than that it has long dangly anthers!

To actually answer your question, it will have little to nothing to do with your A-level syllabus, but that's the POINT. They're not expecting factual recall - they're addressing your problem solving and communication skills.
Reply 46
Thank you so much, that's really helpful. Btw, I'm an international student and my background knowledge of these zoology and plant biology is not very firm, is there any book you can recommend me to read? Thx
Bekaboo
I seriously need to add a section on this to the wiki

Okay, the regular format is one data based question and one props question. Depending on the interviewer you may or may not be lead in by some simple "what's the thing interesting you most in biology at the moment?" or "tell us about the most recent article / book you read?" or something like that. Data based will be something like 'can you describe the population fluctuations demonstrated by this data' or 'can you interpret this graph of TB cases in the UK and interpret the results' or 'can you explain the distribution of finches in this tree'. Prop based question will be something like 'How would you go about investigating whether these two feathers came from the same bird?' or 'Describe what you think this is [a flower - trust me, it wasn't that obvious] and how do you think it might be pollinated?'
The key isn't right answers - it's talking through your thought process out loud. If you tell them you think a wind pollinated flower is bird pollinated then that's fine as long as the reason is that you think it's more important that it's red than that it has long dangly anthers!

To actually answer your question, it will have little to nothing to do with your A-level syllabus, but that's the POINT. They're not expecting factual recall - they're addressing your problem solving and communication skills.
Reply 47
Wow thank you SO much Bekaboo, SO helpful - quite excited and terrifed in equal measure! :biggrin: :eek:
Anyone here applying to Brasenose???

Best book I can recommend HartLou is 'Life on Earth' by David Attenborough. Covers it all, pretty much, with loads of stuff about evolution, some amazing pictures and is all written in Mr. Attenborough's wonderful friendly narration. (I went to see him in May! it was AMAZING!!)
Reply 48
Ucasaddict
then maybe we ll be together ^^ :yep:

my offer is 14/20 overall (i have 8 subjects -technically 10 because we have history and geography together and physics and chemistry together too ^^) ) 14 /20 biology and 20/20 in chemistry (this is near impossible ... most teachers won t put over 18 even if it s a perfect copy so.... i suppose i ll call them but i m waiting to see what my other offers are )

but im way more into oxford (you too i suupose ^^) the open day was AWESOME !!! But since nothing is sure i don t want to get my hopes too high ^^

maybe interview then ?? :biggrin:

Yeah maybe :biggrin: Your qualifications sound complicated !

Loved the open day. You go in early July? Its such a beautiful town, I would love to go there but I'm pretty much the same, I dont want to get my hopes up to be honest.
Its just the waiting game with UCAS isnt it? Hate it!!! :frown:
Reply 49
Thank you for your recommendation, I can not wait to start reading it, hopefully i can finish it before interview
Étarre
Wow thank you SO much Bekaboo, SO helpful - quite excited and terrifed in equal measure! :biggrin: :eek:
Anyone here applying to Brasenose???

Best book I can recommend HartLou is 'Life on Earth' by David Attenborough. Covers it all, pretty much, with loads of stuff about evolution, some amazing pictures and is all written in Mr. Attenborough's wonderful friendly narration. (I went to see him in May! it was AMAZING!!)
Reply 50
HartLou
Thank you for your recommendation, I can not wait to start reading it, hopefully i can finish it before interview

If you don't, don't freak. As I said, they're not expecting you to have lots of prior knowledge. The examples I gave are all real ones. To be able to interpret a density dependent graph doesn't require any knowledge of mouse breeding habits.
Reply 51
Bekaboo
If you don't, don't freak. As I said, they're not expecting you to have lots of prior knowledge. The examples I gave are all real ones. To be able to interpret a density dependent graph doesn't require any knowledge of mouse breeding habits.

Great, but i'm unsure about my ability on that kind of questions, is there any methods i can be tested or any answers to these questions you have mentioned. Much thx
Reply 52
HartLou
Great, but i'm unsure about my ability on that kind of questions, is there any methods i can be tested or any answers to these questions you have mentioned. Much thx

Not really - the point of the question is that there's not an answer. I mean I could write you out a model answer, but it would take me forever and do you absolutely no good at all, because the point is that that answer would be one of three, and nobody would be expected to get the whole way through it. It's like me asking you to write an essay on the colour blue - there isn't a correct answer. When I get a chance I'll draw a graph and show you what I mean.
Reply 53
LeChat
x

Selenaa
x

srk_stud
x

WindsorHL3
x

HartLou
x

Angst_
x

Ucasaddict
x

RedKitty
x

kalabunga
x

Stigissimo
x

hzilla2
x

krutzemuckl
x

irina1312
x

Nambi
x

Étarre
x

Apologies to anyone I've quoted in who wasn't an applicant, but I thought others might be interested. HartLou asked if I could talk through an interview question, so I've written out (sort of) one from a few years ago. It was used as an open day example so I'm 99% sure it wouldn't be used again. I'd appreciate it if people didn't post their answers straight away or put them in spoilers or as attachments or something, otherwise it spoils it for anyone else trying it out. I'll post an answer in a day or two.

Okay

Interview:
I'm going to show you some data. The data shows the population fluctuations of mice living in a particular area.

Part 1:
i)Can you describe to me what the graph shows (See Part 1 attachment) / how the numbers of mice are changing?
(There's a second bit to Part 1, but if I ask it straight away it will give away what the answer to 1 is, so I'll save it for later)
This bit tests your basic graph-reading abilities.

Part 2: (See attachment 2) What happens to the number of mice in the population at
i) Point A?
ii) Point B?

Part 3: (No attachment)
Why do you think the observed effect at B occurs? (And, for the annoyingly precocious, can you name the effect?)
International applicant from Iceland.
:smile: Applied to Magdalen.

Imperial - Offer
UCL
....(and some US unis)..
Reply 55
Right, anyone want to have a guess of the interview q now everybody's had time to look at it if they want to?
Reply 56
Hi,Bekaboo, I have applied to ucl, kings and warwick for biomedical sciences. I got prediction grades A*A*AA and AS results 4A, but i don't do BMAT as they don't require it. But i have not have even one offer yet. Is there any problems or BMAT is very important or it's normal for biomedical sciences to make decision late? I'm so panic...
Give me some advice, thx
Reply 57
Bekaboo
Right, anyone want to have a guess of the interview q now everybody's had time to look at it if they want to?

so, guessing...
i) the mouse population increases directly proportionally to the square of time (? :s-smilie:)
ii) at A the rate of the mouse population's increase slows
at B the population of mice begins to decrease
iii) this might be because a limiting factor has been reached, for example food or space, or predator populations have increased. the population might fluctuate around the optimum due to environmental pressures

just a guess, but is it something to do with k-strategists (and the other one which i can't remember!!!) i should know what it's called at B but i can't think...
:s-smilie:
Reply 58
HartLou
Hi,Bekaboo, I have applied to ucl, kings and warwick for biomedical sciences. I got prediction grades A*A*AA and AS results 4A, but i don't do BMAT as they don't require it. But i have not have even one offer yet. Is there any problems or BMAT is very important or it's normal for biomedical sciences to make decision late? I'm so panic...
Give me some advice, thx

Not being a biomedic, I'm afraid I haven't got the faintest idea.
It's very normal not to have any offers yet - I didn't get my first ones until the start of November, and I didn't get my last one until middle of March / start of April I think? It was very late.
Reply 59
LeChat
so, guessing...
i) the mouse population increases directly proportionally to the square of time (? :s-smilie:)

Haha waaaaay too complicated. All you need to say is that as times goes on the speed of increase gets faster. Or the number of mice increases exponentially. Technically squaring would be an exponential function, and quite a likely one bearing in mind they are breeding - but without numbers on the graph you can't really tell that.

The point is basically that the population is getting bigger faster and faster, rather than just getting bigger - if that makes sense? It's growth rate not absolute numbers.

ii) at A the rate of the mouse population's increase slows
Good. Too many people panic and say the population is declining.

at B the population of mice begins to decrease
Yes.

iii) this might be because a limiting factor has been reached, for example food or space, or predator populations have increased. the population might fluctuate around the optimum due to environmental pressures
Half marks. Technically the graph doesn't show it that well, but to give you the question properly I'd have given away everything else. You're entirely right - it will be a resource running out that makes the population plateau. What the rest of the question would probably be about is density dependence, but as I say you can't actually get it from the graph I've drawn. You basically need to be able to pick up on the fact that when the population reaches a certain size it also becomes vulnerable to other pressures like disease (which kills more individuals the denser the population because it can transfer more easily).

The last bit would probably ask you to show them what the graph would look like if drawn in terms of population numbers, although since you got the rest of it I'm pretty sure you can do that :p:

just a guess, but is it something to do with k-strategists (and the other one which i can't remember!!!) i should know what it's called at B but i can't think...
:s-smilie:

K strategists and r strategists is actually more about recruitment than anything else. K strategists are like elephants where they are big and long lived and invest a lot in one offspring that they really try hard with. r-strategists breed like mad (which I guess is why you thought of them) but don't invest many resources in each of their progeny and rely on a bit of a scatter gun approach.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending