The Student Room Group

The Official Funding questions/moans/possible joy Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alekskon96
You won't believe me, but I'm 630.

Hahahahah classic
Original post by Victor Camilo
Same here. International applicant, for Glasgow Uni.

What have you applied for?
I went through past year posts on this thread, and I'm 99% sure that the numbers represent an all time count since they started using this system. In 21/22 people were sayin that their numbers were in the 100s. In 22/23, they were saying that their numebrs were in the 300-400s. My number this year is 700-something. So yeah, thankfully that doesn't mean there are 700 people applying this year. I'm still anxious though. haha

I would be so glad if this is true that application number does not represent how many people are competing. SGSAH is already quite competitive, consortium of WHOLE TEN UNIS ACROSS WHOLE SCOTLAND. Mind-boggling.
Original post by frankievale
What have you applied for?

I'm in Music!
I'm in Music!

Nice :smile: I'm a first year PhD in History of Art
I would be so glad if this is true that application number does not represent how many people are competing. SGSAH is already quite competitive, consortium of WHOLE TEN UNIS ACROSS WHOLE SCOTLAND. Mind-boggling.

Well, judging by past years, there is no way there are over 600 nominated applicants this year. The numbers in the past two cycles were between 200 and 300. Still terrifying, but slightly better haha.

I had also thought that application numbers have run on from previous years
Nice :smile: I'm a first year PhD in History of Art

So you are already in Glasgow? Any update on the accommodation crisis? Hopefully, you are not staying in hotels like some other unlucky students.
So you are already in Glasgow? Any update on the accommodation crisis? Hopefully, you are not staying in hotels like some other unlucky students.

I was lucky enough to be living in Edinburgh already so I have stayed here
Well, judging by past years, there is no way there are over 600 nominated applicants this year. The numbers in the past two cycles were between 200 and 300. Still terrifying, but slightly better haha.

Victor, I've read some of your older posts before. Did you receive your master's degree in Glasgow or still working towards the graduation?
Victor, I've read some of your older posts before. Did you receive your master's degree in Glasgow or still working towards the graduation?

I have a long term relationship with Glasgow haha. Did a taught masters here last year, currently doing a research masters.
I was lucky enough to be living in Edinburgh already so I have stayed here

Speaking about your last year's rejection, how did it look like? You just simply logged in your smapply and there it was, or there was an e-mail with detailed feedback on your application?
Speaking about your last year's rejection, how did it look like? You just simply logged in your smapply and there it was, or there was an e-mail with detailed feedback on your application?

It was on Smapply first and said declined and then at about 4pm I got a very brief email just saying I had been unsuccessful, you don't get any feedback at all unfortunately
I have a long term relationship with Glasgow haha. Did a taught masters here last year, currently doing a research masters.

That is awesome. This is my second year of applying for DTP studentships. Wales DTP nominated me last year, and rejected me this year. Did you apply for any other studentships, any plan B's?
It was on Smapply first and said declined and then at about 4pm I got a very brief email just saying I had been unsuccessful, you don't get any feedback at all unfortunately

Well, fingers crossed for three of us.

That's cold. I get that they have a lot of applications to go through, but I hate the fact that part of this process is having to guess what exactly makes an application stand out/be rejected. Since SGSAH has the point-based system, they could at least share with us how much we scored on each criteria set.
Well, fingers crossed for three of us.

Indeed! Good luck everyone
That is awesome. This is my second year of applying for DTP studentships. Wales DTP nominated me last year, and rejected me this year. Did you apply for any other studentships, any plan B's?

Oh, sorry to hear about that!

Right now it's SGSAH or nothing for me. I decided to apply last minute, so barely had time to write a decent application for Glasgow/SGSAH, let alone writing others. I was surprised to be nominated actually.
That's cold. I get that they have a lot of applications to go through, but I hate the fact that part of this process is having to guess what exactly makes an application stand out/be rejected. Since SGSAH has the point-based system, they could at least share with us how much we scored on each criteria set.

Yeah it was rough, especially as it's such a drawn out process
Oh, sorry to hear about that!

Right now it's SGSAH or nothing for me. I decided to apply last minute, so barely had time to write a decent application for Glasgow/SGSAH, let alone writing others. I was surprised to be nominated actually.

Same thing, SGSAH or nothing.

I've been working on my research proposal for almost a year, 8 pages of tables, graphs, good content in general. And it was such a bummer to edit my proposal (my child) and rework it into 1000 words. Funny enough, when I finally got it down to 1000 and sent it for my research supervisor for the review, he reworked it into 1200 words along and sent it back to me with many useful comments. Seemingly never-ending process of editing, cutting down things, etc. How was your process of writing research proposal?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending