The Student Room Group

100 year History A2 AQA coursework

Scroll to see replies

hardy_4_paws
It is really really hard! I haven't done much either but I can already see myself being way over the word count! Actually on that note does anyone know if the word count is 3000 words + 500 word summary or 3500 words plus 500 word summary? I didn't write it down and am kicking myself now!

Are you all doing the British politics paper in the summer?

i reckon im gonna be under the word count cos i wont have written enough! its stressing me out more than the exam will and its worth less! at least with the exam you write less and the examiners know your under pressure so dont expect the perfect essay. id much rather do a 2nd exam. and i think with regards to the essay its 3500 words + 500 word summary.
True about the exams thing, but then you have the chance of getting a question you cant answer!!! which is horrible! lol
Reply 22
For my first question I wrote 2400 words :frown:
Reply 23
Done the coursework. We had to do it on Darwins impact on religion. Teacher gave us no guidance whatsoever. I finished off with just over 4000 words (Including evaluation). This is for AQA of course. Used something like 18 sources. Quite tough but very interesting :smile:
Flipsta
Done the coursework. We had to do it on Darwins impact on religion. Teacher gave us no guidance whatsoever. I finished off with just over 4000 words (Including evaluation). This is for AQA of course. Used something like 18 sources. Quite tough but very interesting :smile:

What sources did you use? Just books? I think mine is the only school where we could pick anything we wanted to do, everyone else seems to have been taught a topic... we've had to self teach, its not been easy but its fun :smile:
Reply 25
hardy_4_paws
What sources did you use? Just books? I think mine is the only school where we could pick anything we wanted to do, everyone else seems to have been taught a topic... we've had to self teach, its not been easy but its fun :smile:

We weren't taught anything. I needed to read quite alot indipendently from books, articles and websites so yes it was hard.
Flipsta
We weren't taught anything. I needed to read quite alot indipendently from books, articles and websites so yes it was hard.

If you had to self teach then why did you have to do a specific topic? Why couldn't you have done anything you wanted? We originally started with the idea the whole class would do a question based around a topic the teacher taught us the basics of i think it was art and culture. But then we all said it was boring so he agreed to let us do our own thing.... Strange stuff :P Have you enjoyed the study?
Reply 27
hardy_4_paws
If you had to self teach then why did you have to do a specific topic? Why couldn't you have done anything you wanted? We originally started with the idea the whole class would do a question based around a topic the teacher taught us the basics of i think it was art and culture. But then we all said it was boring so he agreed to let us do our own thing.... Strange stuff :P Have you enjoyed the study?

Well we were given a question to tackle and were told to tackle it. At first I found it tedious and boring but by the 2nd book I read it was really interesting and didn't really want it to end. I've drawn alot from the coursework. Not only in historical knowledge, but also evaluation skills!
how are you keeping the 100 year requirement going in your essay, are you starting chronologically so 1 paragraph 1900 -40 next paragraph 1950 -80 ?
Reply 29
holmes221
how are you keeping the 100 year requirement going in your essay, are you starting chronologically so 1 paragraph 1900 -40 next paragraph 1950 -80 ?

You've got to mix it up and hint at your conclusion at the end of almost every paragraph. I reccommend that you don't restrict yourself to the chronological outline. It really depends on the title of your question so I can't really say much else. Go by the different areas in different paragraphs.
Flipsta
You've got to mix it up and hint at your conclusion at the end of almost every paragraph. I reccommend that you don't restrict yourself to the chronological outline. It really depends on the title of your question so I can't really say much else. Go by the different areas in different paragraphs.

mix it up :confused: My question is set on a specific revolt and I've been going through the 100 year time line analysing how events before and after it have influenced its success.
Reply 31
holmes221
mix it up :confused: My question is set on a specific revolt and I've been going through the 100 year time line analysing how events before and after it have influenced its success.

Then you could tackle it chronologically I guess. My question was completely different so I'm sorry if i'm confusing you a bit.

What i'd probably use in the conclusion is the long term successes drawn from the revolt (Some that may still influence today). Also, you might find this useful, when John F. Kennedy was meeting the Premier of China, he asked the Premier (of China) what he thought of the French Revolution. The Premier replied, “it's probably too early to say". You could maybe argue along these lines and say how since most democracies have only existed for a few centuries, if we go by the marxist model of politics, it may be too early to judge this "revolt's" political effect.
Flipsta
Then you could tackle it chronologically I guess. My question was completely different so I'm sorry if i'm confusing you a bit.

What i'd probably use in the conclusion is the long term successes drawn from the revolt (Some that may still influence today). Also, you might find this useful, when John F. Kennedy was meeting the Premier of China, he asked the Premier (of China) what he thought of the French Revolution. The Premier replied, “it's probably too early to say". You could maybe argue along these lines and say how since most democracies have only existed for a few centuries, if we go by the marxist model of politics, it may be too early to judge this "revolt's" political effect.

what was your question and how did you structure it? if you mind me asking
Reply 33
holmes221
what was your question and how did you structure it? if you mind me asking

I needed to assess the impact of Charles Darwin's 'On the Origins of Species' on Religion. In this coursework I had to include all of its other various impacts to much depth. Wasn't very easy- at all.

Plus AQA only confirmed our coursework question after Christmas, so we only had 3 months to research and write it.
Flipsta
I needed to assess the impact of Charles Darwin's 'On the Origins of Species' on Religion. In this coursework I had to include all of its other various impacts to much depth. Wasn't very easy- at all.

So i assume you had to look at the Events building up to his release of the scientific book. the event itself and then the events post release, on religious groups but you covered the 100 years contest all the time? in every paragraph? instead of chronologically?
Reply 35
holmes221
So i assume you had to look at the Events building up to his release of the scientific book. the event itself and then the events post release, on religious groups but you covered the 100 years contest all the time? in every paragraph? instead of chronologically?

Well basically this is what I did:

Explained the situation at the time (I.e. other secular movements during the time)

The book and its impact on established religion

The book and its impact on religion (people who believed in religion)

THe book and its impact on God

The book and its impact in Britain

The book and its impact in Europe

The book and its other impacts: politics

impact on philosophy

Impact on science

Impact on politics

conclusion
Flipsta
Well basically this is what I did:

Explained the situation at the time (I.e. other secular movements during the time)

The book and its impact on established religion

The book and its impact on religion (people who believed in religion)

THe book and its impact on God

The book and its impact in Britain

The book and its impact in Europe

The book and its other impacts: politics

impact on philosophy

Impact on science

Impact on politics

conclusion

I see so you did a mini chronology in each paragraph theme.
Reply 37
holmes221
I see so you did a mini chronology in each paragraph theme.

Yeah. It is vital that you include dates.
A lovely "A grade" girl in my class emailed me her coursework essay, so I now understand how I need to structure it. All is not doomed.
Reply 39
Mine is awful! It's due in on Friday and I'm really worried about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending