The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Might go for a light jog in a few minutes. It looks nice outside right now. I look scruffy, but oh well.
Original post by KingMessi
Thank you. :smile: The men's last mile: 4:59...:lolwut:

I saw a 'this mile in X minutes' at one point and completely blanked that it was miles not k and was like wtf? Even I can run that fast! :rofl:
Just wanted to ask, today I went for a run, and stopped for about 60-90 seconds 3/4 way through to get my breath back as I had a stitch. Would you regard that as 'cheating'?
Bought these bad boys today:
http://www.thesportswearshop.com/ekmps/shops/sportswearshop/images/asics-patriot-4-mens-running-trainers-white-blue--6464-p.jpg

Went for a 5K with them. 22mins ish...found them heavier than what I'm use to and slightly different - not use to the ankle support.
...hoping I'll get use to these over the next fortnight.
Can someone explain the whole concept of pacemarkers in marathon running???? Googled it and it still doesn't make much sense
Original post by Chrisateen
Can someone explain the whole concept of pacemarkers in marathon running???? Googled it and it still doesn't make much sense

Pacemaker is paid to run at a set pace for a given time before dropping out later on, for example 4:45 miles for the elite men for 5 miles, then someone else comes in and takes the next 5 at 4:45 pace.

Happens with shorter races as well. The bigger gap in ability between pacemaker and competitor, the longer the pacemaker will stay in. For example in an 800m race, if a senior man is pacing an U15 girls' race, he will potentially stay in until the last 100/200m. If he is pacing other fast men, he may drop out after 300/400m.
Original post by rockrunride
Pacemaker is paid to run at a set pace for a given time before dropping out later on, for example 4:45 miles for the elite men for 5 miles, then someone else comes in and takes the next 5 at 4:45 pace.

Happens with shorter races as well. The bigger gap in ability between pacemaker and competitor, the longer the pacemaker will stay in. For example in an 800m race, if a senior man is pacing an U15 girls' race, he will potentially stay in until the last 100/200m. If he is pacing other fast men, he may drop out after 300/400m.

Thanks for the reply

But is it not better to have a gps tracker on the athletes that tells them during the race at what pace they are running at????
Original post by Chrisateen
Thanks for the reply

But is it not better to have a gps tracker on the athletes that tells them during the race at what pace they are running at????

I'm guessing you haven't done much racing? Yes, that would be more accurate: but it's a lot lot easier to keep up a fast pace if you're chasing somebody than just because you know how fast you should go. Every substantial course best I've set has been when I've been either chasing someone or running away from someone. You will always go faster when you're being competitive, but nobody wants to be 'leading the pack' because that's harder work than chasing the pack leader. So you pay someone to lead the pack and then you can have the motivation to keep up the pace you want, without the exertion of being at the front.
Original post by Cirsium

I'm guessing you haven't done much racing? Yes, that would be more accurate: but it's a lot lot easier to keep up a fast pace if you're chasing somebody than just because you know how fast you should go. Every substantial course best I've set has been when I've been either chasing someone or running away from someone. You will always go faster when you're being competitive, but nobody wants to be 'leading the pack' because that's harder work than chasing the pack leader. So you pay someone to lead the pack and then you can have the motivation to keep up the pace you want, without the exertion of being at the front.

Ha ha yes I'm total amateur when it comes to running but I get it now.
Is anyone else entering the ballot for VLM? It opens next Monday.
Original post by OU Student
Is anyone else entering the ballot for VLM? It opens next Monday.

I will be. Didn't make it into this years, so fingers crossed for next!
I need to go out for a run. Haven't been for over a week, so I'm thinking I should probably set my sights low and be thankful if I survive 3 miles :colondollar:

Edit: Running in the rain hurts my face and gives me brain freeze :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Cirsium

This is what annoys me when i'm racing say the 800m. No one ever wants to take the pace on leading to ridiculously slow first laps with needless boxing in, but in a way I don't agree with pacemaking as it's a race, it should be testing how well you can race not just how fast you can run otherwise you may aswell set fast time's in training.
Original post by Yellow-nutshell
I need to go out for a run. Haven't been for over a week, so I'm thinking I should probably set my sights low and be thankful if I survive 3 miles :colondollar:

Edit: Running in the rain hurts my face and gives me brain freeze :frown:

It makes you feel hardcore though? :P
Original post by harmony23
Just wanted to ask, today I went for a run, and stopped for about 60-90 seconds 3/4 way through to get my breath back as I had a stitch. Would you regard that as 'cheating'?

I wouldn't say that's cheating :smile: Although in future try to run through the stitch taking deeper more controlled breaths that should sort it out.
Original post by mrshinyshoes
It makes you feel hardcore though? :P

I would feel hardcore if I'd run further than 2 miles :colondollar:
Original post by Yellow-nutshell
I would feel hardcore if I'd run further than 2 miles :colondollar:

Aha it's 2 more miles than me today :colondollar:
Did around 6 miles today, slowly starting to get back into shape :smile:

Hoping for an 8 miler in under an hour on weds, but we'll see.
Reply 4438
First 3000 and track competition this year tomorrow.

Let's go!
Reply 4439
Just signed up for my first 1/2 mara!

Latest