The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
rainjan_4now
I'm sure if you argued your point, anything in this world could show an attitude and value :biggrin: . An example i have is a train advert where a train reached stations quicker than normal. The tempo is fast and tone/purpose is persuasive. Therefore the attitudes and values of the writers of the advert is that that particular company is the best one to choose to get to a certain place because it takes very little time to do so.

True I suppose. I will just mention a load of them. Or try to anyway....

~Sam~
About 45 mins are reading time anyway so we won't have to write for *that* long. I think I'm just gonna try and plan it well, and try to put in the main points, shove in a bunch of quotes, and hope for the best!

Can you honestly see yourself going through the 3 texts for 45 minutes though? I can't, although I will try.

I will hope for the best too. Although language features are important, there are other things that are too, like why has the writer written this text in the first place? There is always an older text, so you can discuss language change.

I haven't actually revised for this exam, which is probably really bad of me. I will read over some stuff tonight, but that's all I plan to do. I have a Sociology exam on Wednesday, which requires more revision.

Why am I still on TSR? :eek:
Smiley_Me

I haven't actually revised for this exam, which is probably really bad of me. I will read over some stuff tonight, but that's all I plan to do.

:ditto:
In my head i've already finished my exams, as tomorrows english exam is my last. Maybe im seriously under-estimating it, or i have had enough of revision to even bother. My minds very unclear....but i know that i have to at least look over my notes. Gosh i hope this post doesn't come back to haunt me :frown:
Reply 22
I don't think many people have revised for this paper - I know I haven't! So try not to worry about it too much. It's my last proper exam too, and I havent had one since wednesday so I've gotten out of the revision mode!
Reply 23
rainjan_4now
:ditto:
In my head i've already finished my exams, as tomorrows english exam is my last. Maybe im seriously under-estimating it, or i have had enough of revision to even bother. My minds very unclear....but i know that i have to at least look over my notes. Gosh i hope this post doesn't come back to haunt me :frown:

In my mind I got an A at AS last year. I got an A in my coursework and need 87 UMS marks out of a possible 210 for a B overall, which is what I'm aiming for. The idea of A's has long gone. Now I have struggled with English this year, gaining the highest of a C in my essays, which isn't good for me. I do think though it is down to lack of effort, plus my teacher. Say I got half marks on the Wider Reading exam, so that's 45 UMS marks out of 90 (which I have hopefully got). To get a B overall I would need less than half marks in tomorrow's paper.

I also hope this post doesn't come back to haunt me. You seem to know a lot more than me though, trust me on that.

I am fed up of exams, and fed up of A Levels. I am sick of worrying for weeks on end about my exams. My advantage is from my exams and coursework already I am already on CCD. It has affected my way of thinking this time with my exams. I just hope I get my grades for uni.
Reply 24
~Sam~
I don't think many people have revised for this paper - I know I haven't! So try not to worry about it too much. It's my last proper exam too, and I havent had one since wednesday so I've gotten out of the revision mode!

Really though how can you revise for English? It's not like say Sociology (which I should be revising for now). There are no facts to learn as such, it is how practical you are in the exam.

We all need to take some deep breaths lol. You get two sets of texts, so if one set is purely awful then you can choose the other one.

Remember the basic things you need to write about, like form and structure, the purpose of the text etc.

Now I am not strong on language features, but sentence moods I am okay with. I can find basic language features, and I have come to the conclusion that even if I learned my language features I still wouldn't be able to identify them in the exam tomorrow.

Comparing and contrating are where many of the marks lie. The are all going to have differences because there is going to be 3 different genres. But for similarities it could basically be the topic, sentence mood. Just put anything that you can find into your answer.

That is my motto, and I just hope it's enough.
Reply 25
Smiley_Me
In my mind I got an A at AS last year. I got an A in my coursework and need 87 UMS marks out of a possible 210 for a B overall, which is what I'm aiming for. The idea of A's has long gone. Now I have struggled with English this year, gaining the highest of a C in my essays, which isn't good for me. I do think though it is down to lack of effort, plus my teacher. Say I got half marks on the Wider Reading exam, so that's 45 UMS marks out of 90 (which I have hopefully got). To get a B overall I would need less than half marks in tomorrow's paper.

I also hope this post doesn't come back to haunt me. You seem to know a lot more than me though, trust me on that.

I am fed up of exams, and fed up of A Levels. I am sick of worrying for weeks on end about my exams. My advantage is from my exams and coursework already I am already on CCD. It has affected my way of thinking this time with my exams. I just hope I get my grades for uni.

I think there's a good chance of you getting an A to be honest! Really. Don't rule it out until you get your results. I've been getting mostly B's in English this year, the only A I got was from one Translations essay, which is the best essay I've ever written (imo) and a million times better than the one I wrote in the exam which is so annoying. If I can get a B tomorrow I should be ok for an A overall, but I don't see that happening!

I got an A for my c/w too, but I dunno what it is in UMS marks. I've worked out that I need about 137/210 for an A, but I don't see that happening!
Smiley_Me

Aww, im sure everyone else with a correct way of thinking is in fact thinking along the same lines as you. I am, for sure! If i do good on this exam i also get a B, but i dont even want to think of my grades until i receive them in a little white envelope. But i obviously cant, so my plan is to do my best tomorrow (without too much revision, as i cant be asked), and keep myself busy during the holidays in an attempt to stray my thoughts away from my exams- esp biology!

just remember that you dont really have to do much in tomorrows exam to gain a point..... :cool:
Reply 27
~Sam~
I think there's a good chance of you getting an A to be honest! Really. Don't rule it out until you get your results. I've been getting mostly B's in English this year, the only A I got was from one Translations essay, which is the best essay I've ever written (imo) and a million times better than the one I wrote in the exam which is so annoying. If I can get a B tomorrow I should be ok for an A overall, but I don't see that happening!

I got an A for my c/w too, but I dunno what it is in UMS marks. I've worked out that I need about 137/210 for an A, but I don't see that happening!

If there is a good chance for me, then there is a good chance for you, as I need 147 UMS marks for an A.

To be quite honest I will be happy with a B, I really will. I just want this exam over now.

I know, it is annoying when the exam questions aren't what you hope for. I had done no mock exams for Translations, which probably didn't help. Hopefully my poetry question will pull me through, as I tried really hard on that and it was a really good question.

To work out your C/WK mark divide 90 by what it's out of (I think 50). Then times that number by the mark you got.

If I get a C in this essay tomorrow I should be on course for a B. But I just need to go in there and do the exam rather than worrying about what marks I need. I'm starting to wish I'd never worked it out in the first place as it has affected my revision, and my overall attitude towards my A Levels.

Is this everyone's last exam? I have Sociology on Wednesday, and then freedom. I can't wait.
Reply 28
Another question, do you have to contrast all three pieces side by side, or can you go through one first and then the other, and then the other? I'd say the first one is probably better, but just checking!
Reply 29
~Sam~
Another question, do you have to contrast all three pieces side by side, or can you go through one first and then the other, and then the other? I'd say the first one is probably better, but just checking!

You are best doing it all the way through, although it is hard I know. That's why you should make a plan first. If you go through each one individually you will find you will repeat yourself when actually writing about their similarities and differences.
Reply 30
Smiley_Me

To work out your C/WK mark divide 90 by what it's out of (I think 50). Then times that number by the mark you got.

But it doesnt work like that because your marks are compared against everyone elses and either scaled up or down. I got 47/50, so hopefully it'll be 80-something UMS.

This is my last A level exam, but I have the AEA on thursday. THREE more hours of English! Grr.
Reply 31
Smiley_Me
You are best doing it all the way through, although it is hard I know. That's why you should make a plan first. If you go through each one individually you will find you will repeat yourself when actually writing about their similarities and differences.

Yeah that's what I thought too. Cool :smile:
Reply 32
rainjan_4now
Aww, im sure everyone else with a correct way of thinking is in fact thinking along the same lines as you. I am, for sure! If i do good on this exam i also get a B, but i dont even want to think of my grades until i receive them in a little white envelope. But i obviously cant, so my plan is to do my best tomorrow (without too much revision, as i cant be asked), and keep myself busy during the holidays in an attempt to stray my thoughts away from my exams- esp biology!

just remember that you dont really have to do much in tomorrows exam to gain a point..... :cool:

After Wednesday I am completely cutting myself off from any discussion about exams and revision. Hmmm but I do like TSR so maybe not hehe.

All we can do is do our best. I know I will be nervous tonight, but I know at the end of the day, I have worked consistantly, especially last year.

Have your other exams gone okay. I have done 3 so far, all haven't gone as well as I hoped, but you never can tell I suppose.

I am moaning about exams, when I will only have had 5 this summer.
Reply 33
Smiley_Me
After Wednesday I am completely cutting myself off from any discussion about exams and revision. Hmmm but I do like TSR so maybe not hehe.

All we can do is do our best. I know I will be nervous tonight, but I know at the end of the day, I have worked consistantly, especially last year.

Have your other exams gone okay. I have done 3 so far, all haven't gone as well as I hoped, but you never can tell I suppose.

I've had 10! :eek:
Reply 34
~Sam~
But it doesnt work like that because your marks are compared against everyone elses and either scaled up or down. I got 47/50, so hopefully it'll be 80-something UMS.

This is my last A level exam, but I have the AEA on thursday. THREE more hours of English! Grr.

Well it probably doesn't work like that. I kinda hope it does though seeming as that's how I worked out my grades. :eek:

Stupid question, but did you volunteer for the AEA?
Reply 35
~Sam~
I've had 10! :eek:

Did you do General Studies?

I did Key Skills IT Level 3 and the exam was in January.

Really I should only have had 4 cos I did a History resit exam on Friday.

I will have had 2 English exams, 2 History exams and 1 Sociology exam.

I did have exams in January too.
Smiley_Me

lol- 5 is a small number, yet very influencial towards your own life! I officially hate the OCR exam board, and the one reason that drove me to study hard this term was the prospect of not having to learn in depth about another damn plant at uni!
Reply 37
rainjan_4now
lol- 5 is a small number, yet very influencial towards your own life! I officially hate the OCR exam board, and the one reason that drove me to study hard this term was the prospect of not having to learn in depth about another damn plant at uni!

Lol. I really don't regret not taking Biology. I was considering it too.

I will definitely not miss analyising and comparing texts. No way. And as for poems? Eurgh.

I like reading, and I like creative writing. But this year I have really not enjoyed English.
Reply 38
Smiley_Me
Well it probably doesn't work like that. I kinda hope it does though seeming as that's how I worked out my grades. :eek:

Stupid question, but did you volunteer for the AEA?

Lol, it's not a stupid question, I'm wondering the same thing myself! My teacher said it would be good for me since I'm doing English at uni. I suppose she's right, but I really can't be bothered!

Yeah, I did do General Studies (AS), what a joke. I had three GS, three Geog (we didnt do any in jan and didnt have any c/w), 2 Eng, 1 psych, and the AEA. It's horrible!
Smiley_Me
Lol. I really don't regret not taking Biology. I was considering it too.

I will definitely not miss analyising and comparing texts. No way. And as for poems? Eurgh.

I like reading, and I like creative writing. But this year I have really not enjoyed English.

I enjoyed doing my coursework- one of my pieces was a fictional autobiography about a asexually reproduced girl from the planet kainak who was moving to earth, a few centuries from now, with her family, and had issues about being a clone of her mother when her sisters were not. I got to be extremely creative with that one... :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending