The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
~Sam~
Lol, it's not a stupid question, I'm wondering the same thing myself! My teacher said it would be good for me since I'm doing English at uni. I suppose she's right, but I really can't be bothered!

Yeah, I did do General Studies (AS), what a joke. I had three GS, three Geog (we didnt do any in jan and didnt have any c/w), 2 Eng, 1 psych, and the AEA. It's horrible!

You will be fine in tomorrow's exam if you're doing English at uni. Where are you going for it?

I was never offered the chance to do an AEA, but quite honestly I wouldn't have wanted to. I'm much more of a coursework person.

Yeah at my college you have to do the whole A2 in one year. So 3 exams in January and 3 in June. I didn't envy any of them.

Exams are horrible. But by Wednesday (Thursday for you) we will all be smiley hehe.
Reply 41
rainjan_4now
I enjoyed doing my coursework- one of my pieces was a fictional autobiography about a asexually reproduced girl from the planet kainak who was moving to earth, a few centuries from now, with her family, and had issues about being a clone of her mother when her sisters were not. I got to be extremely creative with that one... :rolleyes:

Hehe you got to use your English skills there too. :biggrin:
Reply 42
Smiley_Me
You will be fine in tomorrow's exam if you're doing English at uni. Where are you going for it?

I was never offered the chance to do an AEA, but quite honestly I wouldn't have wanted to. I'm much more of a coursework person.

Yeah at my college you have to do the whole A2 in one year. So 3 exams in January and 3 in June. I didn't envy any of them.

Exams are horrible. But by Wednesday (Thursday for you) we will all be smiley hehe.

Cardiff's my firm, if I get AAB. Sheffield is my insurance (BBB) but that's for American Studies. I'm scared that I'm not good enough at English to do it at uni! Fingers crossed.
Reply 43
~Sam~
Cardiff's my firm, if I get AAB. Sheffield is my insurance (BBB) but that's for American Studies. I'm scared that I'm not good enough at English to do it at uni! Fingers crossed.

Well good luck. I'm sure you will do it, it's just nerves. Just plan effectively and try and do everything you can remember. I will try and follow my own advice hehe.

I need BBC for uni, I couldn't cope with anything higher. I really would be panicking.
Reply 44
Smiley_Me
Well good luck. I'm sure you will do it, it's just nerves. Just plan effectively and try and do everything you can remember. I will try and follow my own advice hehe.

I need BBC for uni, I couldn't cope with anything higher. I really would be panicking.

I know someone at Lancaster who really loves it there :biggrin:. I'm freaking out over AAB, but I loved Sheffield so I wouldn't be heartbroken if I end up having to go there!
Reply 45
~Sam~
I know someone at Lancaster who really loves it there :biggrin:. I'm freaking out over AAB, but I loved Sheffield so I wouldn't be heartbroken if I end up having to go there!

It's a really nice uni and not too far from home either.

I will be gutted if I have to go to my insurance. It's the University of Central Lancashire, which is literally a bus route away from me. They only want a D from me in History, and I already have a C in that.

Even if you don't get AAB, 3 B's are just as respectable, and you may be able to take English as a minor alongside your course or something. At Lancaster you have to take your major (which for me is Sociology) and two minors (I think I want to do Education Studies and History).

I'm sure you will be alright.
Reply 46
Smiley_Me
It's a really nice uni and not too far from home either.

I will be gutted if I have to go to my insurance. It's the University of Central Lancashire, which is literally a bus route away from me. They only want a D from me in History, and I already have a C in that.

Even if you don't get AAB, 3 B's are just as respectable, and you may be able to take English as a minor alongside your course or something. At Lancaster you have to take your major (which for me is Sociology) and two minors (I think I want to do Education Studies and History).

I'm sure you will be alright.

I know someone at Central Lancashire too! Lol. He enjoys it there but I can understand you rather going to Lancaster. The American Studies Course at Sheffield is basically half English, half history, with some other modules on politics, etc. It sounds really good! At Cardiff I have to pick three subjects for the first year. I'm doing English (obviously!), and probably journalism. Dunno what my third one will be!
Reply 47
~Sam~
I know someone at Central Lancashire too! Lol. He enjoys it there but I can understand you rather going to Lancaster. The American Studies Course at Sheffield is basically half English, half history, with some other modules on politics, etc. It sounds really good! At Cardiff I have to pick three subjects for the first year. I'm doing English (obviously!), and probably journalism. Dunno what my third one will be!

I love Preston, it's an ace city. But if I don't start doing things differently I will never have tired to live my life. It sounds really interesting actually. I hope you get to go where you want to go.

Hmm this has gone off topic. We should be thinking of tomorrow.

Okay lets be educational. What is foregrounding? (I'm asking you cos I don't know and it has been bugging me for ages).
Reply 48
Smiley_Me
I love Preston, it's an ace city. But if I don't start doing things differently I will never have tired to live my life. It sounds really interesting actually. I hope you get to go where you want to go.

Hmm this has gone off topic. We should be thinking of tomorrow.

Okay lets be educational. What is foregrounding? (I'm asking you cos I don't know and it has been bugging me for ages).

:eek: I've never heard of it! That can't be a good thing...
Reply 49
~Sam~
:eek: I've never heard of it! That can't be a good thing...

Ah sod it. I'm mentioning graphology, and the layout of the text.

Surely that has to be worth something?

I really do not know any language features. What the hell am I going to write about?
Reply 50
Smiley_Me
Ah sod it. I'm mentioning graphology, and the layout of the text.

Surely that has to be worth something?

I really do not know any language features. What the hell am I going to write about?

Lol, I'm gonna talk about graphology too! I don't know many language features. What do they want us to talk about?
~Sam~
Lol, I'm gonna talk about graphology too! I don't know many language features. What do they want us to talk about?

A load of crap, inc features like pre-/post-mod, semantic fields, discourse analysis, listing, prosodic features, paralinguistic features, pronouns, nouns, verbs, collocation, connotations, declaritives/facts, oh gosh, just a load more of crappy features.
Reply 52
~Sam~

Okay for me, I say mention your sentence moods, like declaratives, imperatives etc.

Similes and metaphors obviously. Other figurative language.

Mention if the text is formal or informal, use of 'elevated language' for example.

Look for some modal verbs, like should, could. Then say that these show how the text is quite demanding (look an attitude!).

Adverbs of manner, end in 'ly'.

Pre-modification is always a good one, like 'the big red shiny bus' as opposed to 'the bus'.

Semantic fields. Like the words 'flower' and 'tree' show the semantic field of nature. (Yeah you can tell I just made that up).

If a speech or interview comes up (by the way what genre would you class an interview as?) you can mention Grice's maxims, turn taking, hesitation etc.

That's all I can think of right now. Sorry if it isn't any good.

I hope it goes okay tomorrow, I really do.
Reply 53
Smiley_Me
Okay for me, I say mention your sentence moods, like declaratives, imperatives etc.

Similes and metaphors obviously. Other figurative language.

Mention if the text is formal or informal, use of 'elevated language' for example.

Look for some modal verbs, like should, could. Then say that these show how the text is quite demanding (look an attitude!).

Adverbs of manner, end in 'ly'.

Pre-modification is always a good one, like 'the big red shiny bus' as opposed to 'the bus'.

Semantic fields. Like the words 'flower' and 'tree' show the semantic field of nature. (Yeah you can tell I just made that up).

If a speech or interview comes up (by the way what genre would you class an interview as?) you can mention Grice's maxims, turn taking, hesitation etc.

That's all I can think of right now. Sorry if it isn't any good.

I hope it goes okay tomorrow, I really do.

Thanks, that's really helpful :smile:. What is a model verb though? :s:. I remember learning Grice's maxims for the spoken word but I can't remember them now!
Reply 54
rainjan_4now
A load of crap, inc features like pre-/post-mod, semantic fields, discourse analysis, listing, prosodic features, paralinguistic features, pronouns, nouns, verbs, collocation, connotations, declaritives/facts, oh gosh, just a load more of crappy features.

Okay, now I know this is a bit late in the day, but a few questions I need to ask you.

Discourse analysis? Is that to do with speech?

Prosodic features? Can you remind me what they are, I have forgotten.

Omg I don't even know what paralinguistic features are. I am doomed.

And collocation? Argh!!!
Reply 55
Smiley_Me
Okay, now I know this is a bit late in the day, but a few questions I need to ask you.

Discourse analysis? Is that to do with speech?

Prosodic features? Can you remind me what they are, I have forgotten.

Omg I don't even know what paralinguistic features are. I am doomed.

And collocation? Argh!!!

Lol I dont know any of them either!
Reply 56
~Sam~
Thanks, that's really helpful :smile:. What is a model verb though? :s:. I remember learning Grice's maxims for the spoken word but I can't remember them now!

Modal verbs, there are only 8 of them these being:

can
may
will
shall
must
could
might
would
should

They basically assist the main verb, and can't be used on their own.

EDIT: I was told there were 8, but it appears there are 9. Oh well.

And I think concepts such as paralinguistic features and prosodic features are just complex. I have heard of them, I just don't know what they involve.
Reply 57
Smiley_Me
Modal verbs, there are only 8 of them these being:

can
may
will
shall
must
could
might
would
should

They basically assist the main verb, and can't be used on their own.

EDIT: I was told there were 8, but it appears there are 9. Oh well.

And I think concepts such as paralinguistic features and prosodic features are just complex. I have heard of them, I just don't know what they involve.

Merci. Check your rep btw :smile:
Reply 58
~Sam~
Merci. Check your rep btw :smile:

I just did. Thanks so much. I have 2 gems hehe.

I will rep you tomorrow as I repped someone else earlier. But as I said to them, don't expect much as I can't actually request how much rep I give you, it just happens by default lol.
Reply 59
Smiley_Me
I just did. Thanks so much. I have 2 gems hehe.

I will rep you tomorrow as I repped someone else earlier. But as I said to them, don't expect much as I can't actually request how much rep I give you, it just happens by default lol.

Aww thanks :smile:. As I said, we will be fine! (I'm hoping that if I say that enough I will start to believe it!)

Latest

Trending

Trending