The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
lesser weevil
obviously simple to those with brains....... not me! how do you dooo that? :confused:

It's just the standard taylor series result.
f(x)=f(a)+f(a)(xa)+f(a)(xa)22!+f(a)(xa)33!+...f(x)=f(a)+f'(a)(x-a)+f''(a)\frac{(x-a)^{2}}{2!}+f'''(a)\frac{(x-a)^{3}}{3!}+...
with a=1.
Remember dydx=f(x),d2ydx2=f(x)\frac{dy}{dx}=f'(x), \frac{d^2 y}{dx^2}=f''(x) and so on.
Reply 21
lesser weevil
obviously simple to those with brains....... not me! how do you dooo that? :confused:

Do you have formula book there? You don't really need to remember that thing.
Just use f(x-1) = f(1) + f'(1)(x-1) + f''(1)(x-1)²/2! + ...
You know f(1), f'(1)... from the equations they gave
Reply 22
BCHL85
Do you have formula book there? You don't really need to remember that thing.
Just use f(x-1) = f(1) + f'(1)(x-1) + f''(1)(x-1)²/2! + ...
You know f(1), f'(1)... from the equations they gave

There is an absolute tonne of stuff for P6 in the formula booklet, including the Maclaurin and Taylor expansions and all the infinite series for sinx, cosx etc.. Incidentally, does anyone know what some of it is for? I don't have a clue what those matrices with trig in them are for :rolleyes:.
Reply 23
JohnSPals
There is an absolute tonne of stuff for P6 in the formula booklet, including the Maclaurin and Taylor expansions and all the infinite series for sinx, cosx etc.. Incidentally, does anyone know what some of it is for? I don't have a clue what those matrices with trig in them are for :rolleyes:.

Transformations such as rotation about the origin I think.
Reply 24
JohnSPals

hmm, you use expansions of sinx or cos when they ask you to expan a function with sinx or cosx (like expand f(x) = (x+ sinx)/(1-cosx)). It could be used to find the limit of the function, but I dont think they will ask about it.
And the matrice with trig is for geometric transformation. You don't really need to use it. But I remember last year, the asked to describe the transformation, and that formula was useful for rotation through 45°. Don't get nervous of that
Reply 25
I have a physics synoptics and two final economics exams tomorrow as well as a p4 exam before P6 on tues......on top of that i had just 4 weeks to go through p6 and no revision time.

Despite all that i dont think that its actually that complicated, theres just a lot of stuff to remember!
I did another mock P6 ! I did most of the questions!!! wheeeeeee! :biggrin:

I wonder how I did... (my dad's marking it for me) :tsr:
Reply 27
lesser weevil
I did another mock P6 ! I did most of the questions!!! wheeeeeee! :biggrin:

I wonder how I did... (my dad's marking it for me) :tsr:

My parents seem to be magically repelled from anything even related to mathematics :rolleyes:
Come to think of it, it seems nearly everyone I know in real life dislikes maths.
Reply 28
I was intending to teach myself P6 next year. You're all doing a good job of putting me off!

Aitch
Gaz031
My parents seem to be magically repelled from anything even related to mathematics :rolleyes:
Come to think of it, it seems nearly everyone I know in real life dislikes maths.

well my mum's magically repelled...
and I got 65% on my mock.... wheeeeeeeeeeeeee
Reply 30
Gaz031
... it seems nearly everyone I know in real life dislikes maths.

I think people dislike what they fear, and fear the unknown, and since, for most people, most of maths is unknown...

Aitch

Latest