The Student Room Group

Time travel and cheating on lovers

So last night instead of working on my 1500 word essay that was due this morning, I started pondering the deepest, darkest depths of philosophical thought. Then an idea hit me, and it became immediately clear that I would have to bring this up to my fellow philosophers, academics, and recreational thinkers on TSR.

Say time travel is a real possibility and we have the technology to do so. You also have a girlfriend/boyfriend, fiancé, or wife/husband. You decide to travel back in time to the 18th century for whatever reason, and while you're there you spot yourself the most gorgeous, easy looking woman (or man) you've ever laid your eyes upon. You go over, say hello, and BAM, she or he is naked and all over you and you show them how people get down in the 21st century.

Now, is this cheating? Because technically, your lover isn't even alive yet. Or does it still count as cheating, since you were still very much with them when you departed on your journey?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll tell you yesterday.
Reply 2
Delta Usafa
So last night instead of working on my 1500 word essay that was due this morning, I started pondering the deepest, darkest depths of philosophical thought. Then an idea hit me, and it became immediately clear that I would have to bring this up to my fellow philosophers, academics, and recreational thinkers on TSR.

Say time travel is a real possibility and we have the technology to do so. You also have a girlfriend/boyfriend, fiancé, or wife/husband. You decide to travel back in time to the 18th century for whatever reason, and while you're there you spot yourself the most gorgeous, easy looking woman (or man) you've ever laid your eyes upon. You go over, say hello, and BAM, she or he is naked and all over you and you show them how people get down in the 21st century.

Now, is this cheating? Because technically, your lover isn't even alive yet. Or does it still count as cheating, since you were still very much with them when you departed on your journey?

Hahaha I ALWAYS ponder rubbish like that instead of working lol! Errrmm it SO would be cheating, but i figure if your a time lord, who gives a ****, your above the law - screw everything that moves!
Reply 3
mayh3m
I'll tell you yesterday.

This is exactly what I was going to say!

But to me I'd still feel as if I were cheating.
Reply 4
I think that as you met them on your own personal time line, yes - you had prior knowledge and had spent quantifiable time with your partner before finding this other person in an earlier time period - but as you knew your partner before, I think it still counts as cheating.
Reply 5
it is cheating.
but if you were stuck in that time and couldn't come back to C21, then i don't think it would be wrong.
Reply 6
If I know you present time and go back and sabotage your existence by preventing your parents having sex at the key moment that led to your conception is it murder of a future being that existed in my time line?

If it's not murder of a future being and we had time travel capabilities, surely everyone could go back and sabotage people they don't like?

That's what's been bugging me. I don't have an answer for the cheating question.
I was thinking about this the other day. I would do it. Future cyborg babes. And surely if you told your girlfriend and she dumped you, you could just travel back in time and get back with her. It's the perfect situation.
Reply 8
not-another-number
I was thinking about this the other day. I would do it. Future cyborg babes. And surely if you told your girlfriend and she dumped you, you could just travel back in time and get back with her. It's the perfect situation.

Haha. You think like a champ.
Possibly, probably, but who cares. Not like your other half would find out unless when you came back she found a pair of 18th century panties in your coat pocket.

Or an 18th century chastity belt....or whatever.
"Darling, I'm so sorry, I cheated on you before we met"

I dunno. I guess it is cheating, but I think she'd have a hard time believing you. So, if you're the cheating type, time travel is for you :p:
Reply 11
Yeah it is
Reply 12
This thread needs more elaboration.
Reply 13
Think about it practically.

If an average citizen could afford to time travel regularly (in a simple way where you and your molecules are moved back/forward in time so no copies are made) a social rule would develop meaning that social connections and relationships are still in place whatever the time.

However, if you were sent back in time (perhaps forcefully, and by aliens:yep: ) and think you wont be able to get back, but somehow find a way back, it's not cheating.

Think about the what 'cheating' is. The connection you have with your lover is in your mind (even if it feels like its lower down...). You get to decide if it's still there or if it's already broken.
fire2burn
If I know you present time and go back and sabotage your existence by preventing your parents having sex at the key moment that led to your conception is it murder of a future being that existed in my time line?

If it's not murder of a future being and we had time travel capabilities, surely everyone could go back and sabotage people they don't like?

I reckon it's fine, as I like the parallel universe thing. So when you prevent the parents from having sex, you end up going into a different branch from that event, where the guy doesn't exist. So you would be in a different universe, one without him, but he would still exist in the one you came from.
Reply 15
matt608
Think about it practically.

If an average citizen could afford to time travel regularly (in a simple way where you and your molecules are moved back/forward in time so no copies are made) a social rule would develop meaning that social connections and relationships are still in place whatever the time.

However, if you were sent back in time (perhaps forcefully, and by aliens:yep: ) and think you wont be able to get back, but somehow find a way back, it's not cheating.

Think about the what 'cheating' is. The connection you have with your lover is in your mind (even if it feels like its lower down...). You get to decide if it's still there or if it's already broken.

Now what if you travel voluntarily and practically, but you're the megagenius who invented it and you're the only one who knows about it? So it's not a social norm to go all over time, but you weren't forced by aliens either. Ha.
Reply 16
I think it's cheating, because you were emotionally attached to the lover you "left behind". Although you may be able to argue that it wasn't physically cheating because the lover is not alive yet. Definite emotional betrayal though I reckon.
This is basically the plot of a sitcom called Goodnight, Sweetheart, you know.
Reply 18
Kater Murr
This is basically the plot of a sitcom called Goodnight, Sweetheart, you know.

Is it?
Delta Usafa

Have you ever watched Goodnight Sweetheart?

It's a sitcom made in the 1990s...the main character is a time traveller who's married to two women, one is a barmaid in the 1940s and the other is a career woman in the 1990s. He reasons that he is not a bigamist, because by the time he is married to his 1990s wife, the 1940s one is dead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodnight_Sweetheart#Plot_Summary

I think it's a pretty coherent argument :teehee:

Latest

Trending

Trending