The Student Room Group

Can a no-contract tenant/lodger leave anytime?

I'm still confused whether I'm a lodger or tenant. :confused: He used to walk into my room to close my window when I forget but hasn't been doing it lately.

So the original verbal agreement is 300 pounds per month inclusive of all bills, staying for 12 full months, paid monthly. We never agreed on how much notice I need to give before leaving, and we never agreed whether I am a lodger or a tenant.

Half way through this month my landlord ups the rent to 334 pounds per month. He said if you're not willing to pay I'll give you back your deposit and you can leave tomorrow morning.

I wanted to leave at that point but agreed to his terms to buy myself time to find somewhere else to live.

Two days ago my landlord got suspicious and found out I'm looking for elsewhere to live. My excuse is I can't afford to live here anymore. He asked for a cheque given to him in advance and won't cash it in until 1st Dec. He still owes me 16 pounds; while not a lot of money I had asked 3 times by now and each time he promises to give it back to me later.

Now I've found somewhere else to live and plan on moving either on 29th or 30th, and paying 20 pound to cancel that cheque. Will he be able to bring me to court and get a month's rent off of me for not giving him 30 days notice prior to leaving? Should I just pay him an extra month's rent to avoid future hassle? :confused:
Reply 1
Not saying if my answer is correct or not here, as I really don't know.

But my take on it is this: If you're staying there with no contract you are entitled to leave the premises whenever, giving plenty, little or no notice whatsoever.

Don't quote me on that, but if he hasn't provided a contract to state how much notice you must give prior to leaving the accommodation, then you are completely within your rights to leave whenever you like.

But as I say, don't quote me on that because I could be entirely wrong. :P
Have you signed anything..... if not then his word against your's
Yaesugo
I'm still confused whether I'm a lodger or tenant. :confused: He used to walk into my room to close my window when I forget but hasn't been doing it lately. What has this to do with anything?

So the original verbal agreement so his word against yours, call it lodge or tenant, who cares, you have no contract so neither of you have much rightsis 300 pounds per month inclusive of all bills, staying for 12 full months, paid monthly you pay via cheque?. We never agreed on how much notice I need to give before leaving, and we never agreed whether I am a lodger or a tenant.

Half way through this month my landlord ups the rent to 334 pounds per month assuming you have lived their less then 12 months, he can't do this, but then again neither of you have a contract. He said if you're not willing to pay I'll give you back your deposit and you can leave tomorrow morning can you not leave at end of this month - weekend?.

I wanted to leave at that point but agreed to his terms to buy myself time to find somewhere else to live maybe should have been honest.

Two days ago my landlord got suspicious and found out I'm looking for elsewhere to live. My excuse is I can't afford to live here anymore. He asked for a cheque given to him in advance and won't cash it in until 1st Dec. He still owes me 16 pounds what for?; while not a lot of money I had asked 3 times by now and each time he promises to give it back to me later.

Now I've found somewhere else to live and plan on moving either on 29th or 30th, and paying 20 pound to cancel that cheque ask your landlord for the cheque back or go into his room and get it or shut bank account :P. Will he be able to bring me to court and get a month's rent off of me for not giving him 30 days notice prior to leaving long and short of it no? Should I just pay him an extra month's rent to avoid future hassle no? :confused:

hope this helps
Reply 4
I should also add a lodger is usually a person whom rents a particular room of a house/property whilst the landlord / owner remains the occupier and continues to live in the house at the same time.

I'm guessing this with you is not the case, so I'm assuming you're a tenant. :smile:
Reply 5
If he changes the terms of the contract and you haven't signed anything then you have a right to leave, IIRC.
Reply 6
Sam300
I should also add a lodger is usually a person whom rents a particular room of a house/property whilst the landlord / owner remains the occupier and continues to live in the house at the same time.

I'm guessing this with you is not the case, so I'm assuming you're a tenant. :smile:

There's a landlord who owns the house. Then there's a tenant who lives there, on contract. This tenant sublets a room to me on verbal agreement and I live with him. It's this tenant I pay rent to, and he in turn pays rent to the property owner.

I never signed anything to begin with. I paid each month's rent with a cheque and the post-dated cheque for Dec he probably keeps with him so I doubt I can just nick it. I'll have to ask my bank to cancel that cheque but I want to be sure I won't be taken to court and have to pay December's rent as well as legal fees.
Yaesugo
There's a landlord who owns the house. Then there's a tenant who lives there, on contract. This tenant sublets a room to me on verbal agreement and I live with him. It's this tenant I pay rent to, and he in turn pays rent to the property owner.

I never signed anything to begin with. I paid each month's rent with a cheque and the post-dated cheque for Dec he probably keeps with him so I doubt I can just nick it. I'll have to ask my bank to cancel that cheque but I want to be sure I won't be taken to court and have to pay December's rent as well as legal fees.

Yawn, yawn, yawn.... who cares if you are a lodger, tenant.... you have not signed anything so thats all that matters.
As I said before, you have not signed anything therefore he can not hold you to anything, well he can try, but it will cost himt ot much and he wont win, probably. Just tell him your moving out, ask for the cheque back and he has your deposit as well?
date the cheque the 1st of december. The bank will refuse till cash it until then.
Reply 9
love_mojitos
Yawn, yawn, yawn.... who cares if you are a lodger, tenant.... you have not signed anything so thats all that matters.
As I said before, you have not signed anything therefore he can not hold you to anything, well he can try, but it will cost himt ot much and he wont win, probably. Just tell him your moving out, ask for the cheque back and he has your deposit as well?

I know what he's like. Either he'll outright refuse to give back my cheque and immediately cash it in or he'll stall for time and cash it in. If I don't want to give him next month's rent I need to pay my bank to cancel it before he knows I have no intention of paying him.

100 pound deposit. Doubt he'll give it back if I don't give 30 days notice.
You must be a troll..... he said you can leave and he will give you your money back. Just speak to him in morning, say you are leavin this weekend, can you have your cheque back... if he refuses then wreck his house. Simples.
morecambebay
date the cheque the 1st of december. The bank will refuse till cash it until then.

No they wont.... i have cashed cheques which were 2 months post dated :smile:
If you don't have a contract you're neither a lodger or a tenant, you're just some guy who lives in some guy's house. Neither of you have any rights, so he won't be able to take you to court.
I don't have a contract with my landlord who is also a friend I never signed a contract or agreement I pay £140 a fortnight and I was talking to him about leaving because can't afford the rent and he drops a bombshell on me and said I have to give him a letter saying I'm leaving and also have to give him two weeks notice what can I do
Original post by Yaesugo
I'm still confused whether I'm a lodger or tenant. :confused: He used to walk into my room to close my window when I forget but hasn't been doing it lately.

So the original verbal agreement is 300 pounds per month inclusive of all bills, staying for 12 full months, paid monthly. We never agreed on how much notice I need to give before leaving, and we never agreed whether I am a lodger or a tenant.

Half way through this month my landlord ups the rent to 334 pounds per month. He said if you're not willing to pay I'll give you back your deposit and you can leave tomorrow morning.

I wanted to leave at that point but agreed to his terms to buy myself time to find somewhere else to live.

Two days ago my landlord got suspicious and found out I'm looking for elsewhere to live. My excuse is I can't afford to live here anymore. He asked for a cheque given to him in advance and won't cash it in until 1st Dec. He still owes me 16 pounds; while not a lot of money I had asked 3 times by now and each time he promises to give it back to me later.

Now I've found somewhere else to live and plan on moving either on 29th or 30th, and paying 20 pound to cancel that cheque. Will he be able to bring me to court and get a month's rent off of me for not giving him 30 days notice prior to leaving? Should I just pay him an extra month's rent to avoid future hassle? :confused:

before moving to a rented room do some research about agency or the landlord (you never know). There are good websites like yourlandlordreference.co.uk which can help you to make the right decision.
Even without a contract it works on a monthly or weekly basis depending on when rent is paid therefore even without any contract a weeks notice if rent is paid weekly or a months notice if rent is paid monthly.

Latest

Trending

Trending