The Student Room Group

I want to drop out of my second year uni house

I entered a 2 year leased student house with a couple of my housemates from first year, and we’ve been living here together since september. I’ve been a bit unhappy in the house for a while, but I blamed it largely on homesickness as I am an english student attending university in northern ireland. However, upon coming back from Christmas break, I really don’t think i can live here until the end of the academic year, let alone the end of the lease.

Bills have always been a sore topic as I’m not as well off as my housemates. We received a really high electric bill for the october-december period and as I am lead tenant it was left for me to sort out. My housemates regularly don’t pay the bills on time and I have to chase them up on everything which i find really emotionally draining. One housemate in particular started a nasty confrontational argument because she demands a constant supply of hot water and that the heating goes on regularly. While I am of course open to these conversations, we have an old house with an immersion and we can’t afford to have it and the oil tank on constantly. Her confrontation led to me having a bad anxiety attack and it’s taken a real toll on me emotionally, and i don’t want to live around these circumstances as that was the straw that broke the camels back.

My question is how do I drop out of the two year contract as lead tenant? bills etc are all in my name, and while i really despise one housemate i am still friends with another. Within our contract it does state we can leave if we or our guarantor pay our share of the rent until a replacement if found.

TL:biggrin:R had a falling out with a housemate that’s led to a toxic living environment, i want out but concerned as my names are on bill contracts and nervous about not finding a new room
Original post by lthompson60
I entered a 2 year leased student house with a couple of my housemates from first year, and we’ve been living here together since september. I’ve been a bit unhappy in the house for a while, but I blamed it largely on homesickness as I am an english student attending university in northern ireland. However, upon coming back from Christmas break, I really don’t think i can live here until the end of the academic year, let alone the end of the lease.

Bills have always been a sore topic as I’m not as well off as my housemates. We received a really high electric bill for the october-december period and as I am lead tenant it was left for me to sort out. My housemates regularly don’t pay the bills on time and I have to chase them up on everything which i find really emotionally draining. One housemate in particular started a nasty confrontational argument because she demands a constant supply of hot water and that the heating goes on regularly. While I am of course open to these conversations, we have an old house with an immersion and we can’t afford to have it and the oil tank on constantly. Her confrontation led to me having a bad anxiety attack and it’s taken a real toll on me emotionally, and i don’t want to live around these circumstances as that was the straw that broke the camels back.

My question is how do I drop out of the two year contract as lead tenant? bills etc are all in my name, and while i really despise one housemate i am still friends with another. Within our contract it does state we can leave if we or our guarantor pay our share of the rent until a replacement if found.

TL:biggrin:R had a falling out with a housemate that’s led to a toxic living environment, i want out but concerned as my names are on bill contracts and nervous about not finding a new room

You've said it yourself:

"Within our contract it does state we can leave if we or our guarantor pay our share of the rent until a replacement if found."

So leave and stop being unhappy. 🙂

Where would you move to? With a current mate?
Ask the problematic housemate to leave if your friend is willing to back you up.
Reply 3
Original post by thegeek888
You've said it yourself:

"Within our contract it does state we can leave if we or our guarantor pay our share of the rent until a replacement if found."

So leave and stop being unhappy. 🙂

Where would you move to? With a current mate?

i wouldn’t be able to move in with my mate until september unfortunately, but i don’t have to be here over summer, so i can leave at the end of april. my main worry is finding a replacement and taking my name off the bills contracts

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending