The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Gizmo!
so people who apply but dont want to be there but end up getting in.

are these not feeble applicants too?

i'd say these are the weakest applicants of all. worse than any rejectee.

If they get in they're evidently not feeble. I'd consider these unlikely to get in though (hopefully).

Gizmo!
also i would add, pretty much every applicant has the skillset to satisfy a medical school's entry requirements. more like about 2% dont ave it.

the big dividing factor is the genuine and independently decided desire to do it.

2%? There is a certain personality that is not suited to medicine, you know, hence why interviews tend to be dominated with moral questions. You have to be able to show an ability to think morally, work in team, be suitably socially competent and agreeable, etc. It is basically a job interview and does not just come down to who wants it most.
Reply 21
nexttime
If they get in they're evidently not feeble. I'd consider these unlikely to get in though (hopefully).

aye, i see your point, nextie. its tempting to see an application that ticks the boxes from a poor candidate as strong, not feeble. And wiffin the mini-envinronment of good application/bad application that makes a lot of sense.

To me a good application needs to marry with meeting the life fulfilment of the candidate too, or else its a mistake of the worst kind, the most feeble no matter ow many A*s it carries...far worse than a feeble application that you've defined.

2%? There is a certain personality that is not suited to medicine, you know, hence why interviews tend to be dominated with moral questions. You have to be able to show an ability to think morally, work in team, be suitably socially competent and agreeable, etc. It is basically a job interview and does not just come down to who wants it most.

in fact, good answers to moral questions are rarely demanded in medical school interviews.
as long as an answer is provided that suggests that the candidate is engaged in staying the 5 year course, the candidate scores positively. Only very stupid answers score negatively (and even then they often dont), and only an idiot would answer them like that..or someone with no interest whatsoever in the career. So pretty much all applicants could easily meet ALL admissions requirements including interviews if they were interested enough.

As for the interview itself - i've never ad a med school interview that mirrored a job interview. the two are intrinsically different, but they do carry one similarity. And that is this - a job interview is there to pick the best candidate for the firm's development and profit. a medical school interview is there to pick those candidates most likely to maximise the profit of the medical school, by picking candidates who will stay the duration of the course, and therefore maintain the job security of the staff working there.
Gizmo!

the big dividing factor is the genuine and independently decided desire to do it.

i have a genuine and independently decided desire to do it, and a good application, however just got rejected from leeds without inteview.

sorry. im just bitter.
nexttime
You're saying 60% apply with no hope of getting in?! That's a HUGE figure that i can't really take seriously atm - what are you basing that on?

I agree that it isn't that large, however....you must think of those who want to apply. but have no exp. or insufficient grades,

eg. about 1/3 of my year want to do medicine, however I am the only one with the GCSE grades to even be considered for med school, I am the only one with exp, EC etc...

So, whilst 60% is too large a proportion, I would guesstimate it is closer to the 30-40% mark
Reply 24
moreover, blondi, the percentage of those who want to pursue the reality of a medical career is low...becos its perhaps one of the least desirable careers you can ave when compared to the vast majority of decent graduate jobs in this country.

few candidates can truely want this career in favour of a more comfortable yet equally challenging job elsewhere, yet many can aspire to the illusion of a sumptuous and fulfilling career that they want medicine to be.
Reply 25
Gizmo!
As for the interview itself - i've never ad a med school interview that mirrored a job interview. the two are intrinsically different, but they do carry one similarity. And that is this - a job interview is there to pick the best candidate for the firm's development and profit. a medical school interview is there to pick those candidates most likely to maximise the profit of the medical school, by picking candidates who will stay the duration of the course, and therefore maintain the job security of the staff working there.

Once someone has got in it may end up being a mistake, yes, but statistically how frequent is that compared to other career paths? And i'd say that that does not make the application feeble (the application was successful), it is the choice that lacks merit

I don't see how they are different at all. One is for suitability for one job, one is for suitability for another.

Med schools obviously want commitment, but also people capable of achieving the best results. Its a balance, and its basically coming down to you thinking 60% of applicants don't actually want to do medicine (making the interviewers choice easy) and me thinking that that is a ridiculous figure.
Reply 26
infernalcradle
I agree that it isn't that large, however....you must think of those who want to apply. but have no exp. or insufficient grades,

eg. about 1/3 of my year want to do medicine, however I am the only one with the GCSE grades to even be considered for med school, I am the only one with exp, EC etc...

So, whilst 60% is too large a proportion, I would guesstimate it is closer to the 30-40% mark

Well yeah like 1/3 of my year expressed an interest but in the end only about 1/20 applied. If you're 2011 entry you've still got almost a year for the 'unrealistics' to start taking their application seriously.

I'm gonna stick with 20%.
Reply 27
blonde-beth
i have a genuine and independently decided desire to do it, and a good application, however just got rejected from leeds without inteview.

sorry. im just bitter.

see blondi...the reason (as i see it) that you didnt get in and feeble candidates did, is that too man people apply..and theres no real way of determining a suitable mindset of someone ready for a medical career.

but there are dependable ways of determining applicants most likely to last the course. and at the end of the day, thats what med schools really want (i am aware that theres some overlap in chaacteristics for medical school lasters and career lasters, mind).
nexttime
Well yeah like 1/3 of my year expressed an interest but in the end only about 1/20 applied. If you're 2011 entry you've still got almost a year for the 'unrealistics' to start taking their application seriously.

I'm gonna stick with 20%.

This is the thing though...cos we have 0 careers advice, they don't know their med school apps will be rejected...(I am 2011 entry) and, in a way, I am happy, it means less competition...hehe

And the only reason most of them want to do it is cos their parents/family want them to do it...typical asians
(despite bieng asain myself)
Depends how you define feeble, really.
Reply 30
Gizmo!
see blondi...the reason (as i see it) that you didnt get in and feeble candidates did, is that too man people apply..and theres no real way of determining a suitable mindset of someone ready for a medical career.

but there are dependable ways of determining applicants most likely to last the course. and at the end of the day, thats what med schools really want (i am aware that theres some overlap in chaacteristics for medical school lasters and career lasters, mind).

its true. i suppose the system can never be 100% 'fair' when there are so many applicants.
Reply 32
infernalcradle
This is the thing though...cos we have 0 careers advice, they don't know their med school apps will be rejected...(I am 2011 entry) and, in a way, I am happy, it means less competition...hehe

And the only reason most of them want to do it is cos their parents/family want them to do it...typical asians

Sure, we had 0 advice also, but when it comes down to decision time people have ASs to look at and often experienced people to ask, websites to consult and forums to discuss. Some may apply when perhaps they shouldn't but the majority of the no-hopers will realise they are no-hopers when they get a lot less than AAA for AS.

Gizmo!
see, its funny you say that. if Jenson Button aplied and got into med school (i am sure a determined chap like him would pull it off) then would you say he was being successful by following that up?
Or would he be far more successful following a motorsport career to the top?
Life fulfilment is the only measure of strength or feebleness in my eyes.
All those unsuitable candidates who get in wif strong applications in your eyes are feeble for spending their years in the wrong career. they onlyave one life, after all.
If you are in the entirely wrong career then you 'ave flopped, becos life isnt a rehearsal, and you NEVER get back those years you lost ever again. thats a definite, its not changed by the number of A*s you get, not one iota.

Again, that is the strength of the career, not application. Whether people should apply for medical school in the first place is another huge debate and is entirely based on individuals.

infernalcradle

Sure, we had 0 advice also, but when it comes down to decision time people have ASs to look at and often experienced people to ask, websites to consult and forums to discuss. Some may apply when perhaps they shouldn't but the majority of the no-hopers will realise they are no-hopers when they get a lot less than AAA for AS.

Gizmo!
no, macca. the other is for suitability for maintaining med school profit. in a job interview, you NEED to be suitable for the job, or else profit cant be maintained. for the med school interview, you need to show that you will last 5 years of the course for the same profit maintaining reason. There is a minimal need for skill level.

why is it easy to tell when someone is lying about their career choice face to face?
its actually point blank impossible for an interviewer to tell if a well preparedliar is lying. the prepared liar wins everytime, unless they arent trying or dont ave the nerve.

In any professional job interview you would also be looking for commitment.

I think its relatively easy to tell if someone does not really have their heart in it - why would they bother lying if it wasn't!

You make an interview sound not like a medical interview (with questions about teamwork, ethical issues and issues facing the NHS) but some sort of gruelling interrogation focusing entirely on rooting out these thousands of mysterious liers who are only pretending to be medical applicants.

No one can really know whether medicine is for them as you are only 17! We just make our best judgement and although some may have parental pressure, and some may just be after a challenge, i genuinely don't think this numbers into the tens of thousands. Less than 60% of applicants are fakes!
Reply 33
nexttime
You make an interview sound not like a medical interview (with questions about teamwork, ethical issues and issues facing the NHS) but some sort of gruelling interrogation focusing entirely on rooting out these thousands of mysterious liers who are only pretending to be medical applicants. i fink your forts are very misguided for you to put those words to paper.
its incredibly easy to lie about the course, particularly when like a lot of applicants, you've been lying to yourself about career choice for ages beforehand.

the medschool interview is there to ascertain they will last the course. avfter that is of no concern to the med school itself, although as i've said, there is some overlap between attributes for good practice and attributes for staying the length of the course.

No one can really know whether medicine is for them as you are only 17!
see, i find it odd that you can even type this with any real self belief in what you say...after all, why apply at all at 17, if you know that your judgement is NOT ready to decide on a lifetime career, let alone to yield up thousands of pounds of debt and the best physically able five years of your life?
you'd need to be out of your mind to do that, in any other profession/ major lifestyle choice.
Reply 34
nexttime
I think its relatively easy to tell if someone does not really have their heart in it - why would they bother lying if it wasn't! about 'alf the medics i 'ave met and confided in 'ave admitted that they lied about something major on their application. thats just the ones who were 'onest!

i'm not sure 'ow that makes you feel about your ability to tell a liar from a non liar.

it dramatically improves your chances of getting in if you can lie competently, and it goes wiffout saying that lying is a trait that runs deep through medcial schools.
this kind of lying sadly doesnt improve self fulfiment, it merely delays or eradicates it.

but yeah, granted you are talking about the application stage success of getting in, not the wider picture of getting in whilst wanting to get in ( since getting in but not wanting to be there remains the most feeble form of fulfilment).
Reply 35
Gizmo!
i fink your forts are very misguided for you to put those words to paper.
its incredibly easy to lie about the course, particularly when like a lot of applicants, you've been lying to yourself about career choice for ages beforehand.

:confused:

Gizmo!
the medschool interview is there to ascertain they will last the course. avfter that is of no concern to the med school itself, although as i've said, there is some overlap between attributes for good practice and attributes for staying the length of the course.

What are you on about? The % that complete the course is by no means the sole assessment criteria of med school. Huge emphasis is placed on how successful graduating doctors are and individual merits of the course in generating good doctors as assessed by the GMC.

I don't know where you got this idea that med school is some private organisation that gets 'profit' (your words) on the basis of how many students it teaches.

Gizmo!
see, i find it odd that you can even type this with any real self belief in what you say...after all, why apply at all at 17, if you know that your judgement is NOT ready to decide on a lifetime career, let alone to yield up thousands of pounds of debt and the best physically able five years of your life?
you'd need to be out of your mind to do that, in any other profession/ major lifestyle choice.

Just because that was the best choice open to me at the time, doesn't mean i was 100% certain. No one ever will be about any career. I think you have a bit of a romanticized view of how people make big decisions in life - there are no 'eureka' moments - you just pick an option and swing for it.

Gizmo!
about 'alf the medics i 'ave met and confided in 'ave admitted that they lied about something major on their application. thats just the ones who were 'onest!

i'm not sure 'ow that makes you feel about your ability to tell a liar from a non liar.

it dramatically improves your chances of getting in if you can lie competently, and it goes wiffout saying that lying is a trait that runs deep through medcial schools.
this kind of lying sadly doesnt improve self fulfiment, it merely delays or eradicates it.

but yeah, granted you are talking about the application stage success of getting in, not the wider picture of getting in whilst wanting to get in ( since getting in but not wanting to be there remains the most feeble form of fulfilment).

lying about wanting to be there at all and lying subsequently about everything you say is a bit different to 'something on their application', but even if they could - why would they bother.

btw you go on about these people that don't want to be there etc - once you're in you live and breathe medicine every day. Someone who didn't want to be there must be suicidal by now, and yet only one person out of 150 dropped out last year.

All this does beg the question - who are these thousands on thousands of mysterious medics who don't want to be medics?! :confused: If you can't come up with a better answer to that i really cba any more. You can have your view that everyone who applies to medicine is a 'fake' (applying for a laugh, maybe?), i'll have mine.
Reply 36
nexttime
What are you on about? The % that complete the course is by no means the sole assessment criteria of med school.
i dont see why you used the words 'by no means sole' at all.
sorry that you need to rework your post.

I don't know where you got this idea that med school is some private organisation that gets 'profit' (your words) on the basis of how many students it teaches.
are you saying that medical school fees dont contribute to the profit of the organisation?
are you saying that med schools arent businesses?

sorry, i dont get how you can be that naive. i'm pretty sure i've misunderstood you, you cant mean this, please correct me.

Just because that was the best choice open to me at the time, doesn't mean i was 100% certain. No one ever will be about any career. I think you have a bit of a romanticized view of how people make big decisions in life - there are no 'eureka' moments - you just pick an option and swing for it.

i dont mean to be rude, but you said, and i paraphrase you, that at 17 you dont know for sure really.
you are now extending this to mean any point in your life?
i dont understand why you are extending your meaning now to all times in your life, or to meaning 100% sure, when you clearly emphasised 'at 17' earlier. i fink nearly everyone is better equipped to make career decisions as their life progresses, bar some event like severe mental illness, for example.

it'd be better if you stuck wif your original arguments if you want me to answer you, you see.
Reply 37
nexttime
All this does beg the question - who are these thousands on thousands of mysterious medics who don't want to be medics?! :confused: If you can't come up with a better answer to that i really cba any more. You can have your view that everyone who applies to medicine is a 'fake' (applying for a laugh, maybe?), i'll have mine.
thats cool. lets see if you keep it when you've experienced a few medcial schools for real, then.
Reply 38
felt_monkey
We had a guy come and talk to us a few months back about applying to UCAS in general. He'd written a book on personal statements and had sat in on KCL med interviews. He reckoned about 1 in 3 were only applying because of their parents, because of the prestige of medicine or because they were bright and had no idea what else to apply for. He said it gets picked up on very easily at interview. I don't know if these people count but I just thought I'd share :awesome:

he's just jealous..
Reply 39
nexttime

It took me a bit to work out the video in your sig was sarcastic
For a few seconds I was sitting here thinking ".. he can't be serious.."
Then I got it.
Lololol. It's late :p: :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending