The Student Room Group

small engine, long motorway drive....

Scroll to see replies

Maximum Velocity
Well I can run 100m in 11.6 , so fine I can't run 20 MPH , maybe 17 or 18 MPH. But to the point. Toyot Yaris's are :snow::snow::snow::snow: cars !

I'm sure you can..... lol.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . What fool told you you can do this?

Of course you're not working towards olympic sprinting because you're far better than that though, and 100m women world champions are just :snow::snow::snow::snow: aren't they:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

To the point: Toyota yaris' are better than you to begin with and to finish theyll still outpace you and still get you there faster and theyre decent cars and do what theyre meant to.

Like I said, the day you run 11.6 even I will eat my face.

Maximum Velocity
This. Obviously anything in excess of 30MPH I'll lose against a car , but accelerating I'm sure I could.

So olympic sprinters can't but you can?

Also, try again, no human has ever reached 30MPH. The car will leave you behind by 15mph at most lol. FML, Usain Bolt = 23. Fastest ever recorded - ~26.
Reply 41
Né Stig
National speed limit should be absolutely normal for the car - and a Polo is perfect for it.

I used to drive a Fiat Seicento, 0.9l - and it used to rattle at 60mph pretty badly... then again it was a Seicento :yep:

My current car managed the trip from Birmingham to Kent easily enough when I moved house, didn't take it over 85mph though since obviously that's over the speed limit and i'm not a motorway driver usually, well I wasn't then.. it's a Renault Clio 1.2l

I see Yaris's on the mway all the time, not sure what engines they go up to but 1l sounds about right for the size - just take it steady, don't try to over take unless necessary (i.e. wagons going at 60mph, tourers, rust buckets) and don't go in the fast lane whatsoever, people will get pissy... get your oil level and water level checked before the journey, if poss get the oil changed. Make sure you have a spare tyre and that the air levels in your tyres are sound before the journey too, and plan for fuel stoppages! it's always good to give a car a good once over before a long journey, whatever the engine size and capacity... don't over rev (like people have said) and don't push it, it aint gona over take a lot of vehicles so don't even try it - you'll only hammer the car.
HDS
I'm sure you can..... lol.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . What fool told you you can do this?

Of course you're not working towards olympic sprinting because you're far better than that though, and 100m women world champions are just :snow::snow::snow::snow: aren't they:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

To the point: Toyota yaris' are better than you to begin with and to finish theyll still outpace you and still get you there faster and theyre decent cars and do what theyre meant to.

Like I said, the day you run 11.6 even I will eat my face.

So olympic sprinters can't but you can?

2clarify: Yeah you'll be ahead for 2 steps, but thats not because you're fast but rather because the car is big, heavy and has wheelspin.

C.Ronald beat a bugatti veyron up to a 30m sprint and back. Look on youtube. And I was talking about on a bike. And 11.6 isn't even fast that's like average in most high schools for athletic sprinters. Did you not know that even 0.1 tenth of a second is a huge time in sprinting ?
Maximum Velocity
C.Ronald beat a bugatti veyron up to a 30m sprint and back. Look on youtube. And I was talking about on a bike you pleb. And 11.6 isn't even fast that's like average in most high schools for athletic sprinters. Did you not know that even 0.1 tenth of a second is a huge time in sprinting ?

Yeah... a nike advertisement... how convincing and factual. Ignoring the fact that Ronaldo started about half a second early.

Don't call me a 'plebe' unless you first learn how to spell it. As for on a bike, get real, Chris Hoy beat a corsa, the day you're chris hoy I will not only eat my face and neck but also my shoes.

You can do 11.6? Fine - PROVE IT. Did you not know that the internet is full of people bragging and growing their e-peens without anything to back it up?

First you claim you can run 20mph, when that gets disproved you claim you do 11.6 in 100m, riiiiiight.

Maximum Velocity
I'm talking about on foot , as in sprinting.

^ Seee.... at least make an effort to edit your posts before saying you didn't post them. At least WRT the 20mph shtick.

As for bikes and your post above, like I said, you're no Chris Hoy, stop pretending you are.
Reply 44
Maximum Velocity
0.1 tenth of a second

Is that, like, 0.01 seconds?

:biggrin:
Tofufi
Is that, like, 0.01 seconds?

:biggrin:

Yeah my bad.
HDS
Yeah... a nike advertisement... how convincing and factual. Ignoring the fact that Ronaldo started about half a second early.

Don't call me a 'plebe' unless you first learn how to spell it, and for the record, you weren't, read the posts, you were talking about sprinting on foot. As for on a bike, get real, Chris Hoy beat a corsa, the day you're chris hoy I will not only eat my face and neck but also my shoes.

You can do 11.6? Fine - PROVE IT. Did you not know that the internet is full of people bragging and growing their e-peens without anything to back it up?

First you claim you can run 20mph, when that gets disproved you claim you do 11.6 in 100m, riiiiiight.

Jheez lol , the bugatti weighs how much several tons , and how 1000BHP give or take. Obviously if the bugatti driver planted full throttle he'd just wheelspin , unlike Ronaldo who can't wheelspin and weighs about 160 pounds give or take.

And are you forgetting a Vauxhall corsa isn't the orginal car were talking about. Were t alking about a toyoto yaris here which has 20 BHP less that the Corsa with the same engine size. Yup.

And I can run 11.6 in 100m , that's like an average time , that's nothing to boast about at all , there's people faster than me in my school. And seriously I was hoping you wouldn't stoop so low as to correcting grammar mistakes , but it appear that you have :/... Typical TSR user.

^ Seee.... at least make an effort to edit your posts before saying you didn't post them.

Jheez lol , the bugatti weighs how much several tons , and how 1000BHP give or take. Obviously if the bugatti driver planted full throttle he'd just wheelspin , unlike Ronaldo who can't wheelspin and weighs about 160 pounds give or take.

And are you forgetting a Vauxhall corsa isn't the orginal car were talking about. Were t alking about a toyoto yaris here which has 20 BHP less that the Corsa with the same engine size. Yup.

And I can run 11.6 in 100m , that's like an average time , that's nothing to boast about at all , there's people faster than me in my school. And seriously I was hoping you wouldn't stoop so low as to correcting grammar mistakes , but it appear that you have :/... Typical TSR user.

/Thread
Maximum Velocity
[willy-waving nonsense]

Please do give it a rest. (or at least take it to PMs)

On-topic bit:
It will be fine, do what others have said and check oil/coolant levels, tyre pressures, don't carry unnecessary weight.
All stop bothering about arguing with Maximum Velocity, he's demonstrated in several threads to be a spectacular fool with no concept of how a proper argument works.
Reply 50
Having driven 115 miles in a Smart car (698cc, or 0.7 litres) - it's fine.
Reply 51
Maximum Velocity
Up to about 20 mph I could. I could certainly sprint and accelerate faster that's for sure.

As slow as a 1L car could be i doubt most if any human legs can do that on a pushbike.
I've driven a 1.2L Micra to Scotland from Edmonton, automatic too, not fun at all. Even my old 1.6 Focus seemed a bit pushed when up to 90-100. my last two cars (Ibiza 1.9FR TDi and current 330D SE) could cruise at about 127mph GPS for the Ibiza and had the 330D at 144Mph gps in Germany.
Reply 52
HDS
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi there Usain Bolt.

I take it you are gracing TSR with your presence because you have finished training for the day then?

Let me clarify, the day you run a 100m sprint in 11.18 seconds (which is what an avg of 20mph would come out to) is the day i will eat my face.

Btw #10 fastest speed for womens 100m is 10.77 seconds, i conclusively call :snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow: on your 20mph crap.

btw - http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2004-10.html

^ I reccomend you read that, factually it is a bit flawed seeing as Usain Bolt reaches ~23mph, but I'm fairly certain that for regular people it's about right.

The yr 10 boys record at my school for 100 m was 11.0 seconds, on the dot. Maximum velocity is not a woman and even so theres a big difference between 10.77 seconds and 11.18 seconds on the track.
best boy!!
hey guys and gals, well any advice on my motoring dilemma.

well i got a 1 lt toyota yaris and next week i gotta do a 4 hour motorway drive to manchester. being a small one litre do u think this is putting to much strain on the engine as it is more of a city car than a long distance motorway cruiser, and i dont want my engine letting go halfway there.

thanks in advance

It's not really about whether your car can handle it. Your car can handle it just fine. Your body might not be able to handle it though. Listening to small engine drone at high revs for hours on end will give you a splitting headache.
Maximum Velocity
Well I can run 100m in 11.6 , so fine I can't run 20 MPH , maybe 17 or 18 MPH. But to the point. Toyot Yaris's are :snow::snow::snow::snow: cars !

They arent though really. Depends what you want it for. Japanese engine = Good reliable start.

You have spoken complete twaddle on this thread and havent helped the OP in anyway.

OP: As stated check your tires, inflate them if needed, psi will be in the log book/forum? Check your oil and water levels. Take anything that weighs alot out, as it will use more fuel having to carry heavy loads around.
Reply 55
Maximum Velocity

hey thanks for all your replies...

as for people saying my car is crap, the way i see it is, its not the fastest but, very cheap to run and seeing as im 20 its fine! whats the point in going out and buying something like a 1.4 or so litre hatchback, cos its a bit faster but 2x more to run! i will wait til i can afford to run a car i really like. no point wasting money when my car is fine!!

as for the above saying yaris's are **** well they have nice interiors, are very cheap to run and are very reliable, as well as being very nice to drive!!! i agree its not the best looking car but im not someone who needs a big manly car with huge engine, cos those people are probably lacking elsewhere lol.
Reply 56
Made in the USA
It's not really about whether your car can handle it. Your car can handle it just fine. Your body might not be able to handle it though. Listening to small engine drone at high revs for hours on end will give you a splitting headache.

i plan to turn me cd player up really loud to drown it out lol!!!
Reply 57
best boy!!

as for people saying my car is crap, the way i see it is, its not the fastest but, very cheap to run and seeing as im 20 its fine! whats the point in going out and buying something like a 1.4 or so litre hatchback, cos its a bit faster but 2x more to run! i will wait til i can afford to run a car i really like. no point wasting money when my car is fine!!

as for the above saying yaris's are **** well they have nice interiors, are very cheap to run and are very reliable, as well as being very nice to drive!!! i agree its not the best looking car but im not someone who needs a big manly car with huge engine, cos those people are probably lacking elsewhere lol.

maximum velocity appears to be a complete and utter idiot, ignore him. Any modern mass produced car like a Yaris will be fine on the motorway, and should easily manage an 85mph or so cruise no problem - just make sure the oil level isn't too low and the tyres have enough pressure.
Your car should be fine on the motorway, I've done a London to Telford run in a clap out Nissan Micra, and it had no problems. The temperature gauge stayed the same as a city car.
The only issue I had is coming up to overtaking. Just don't get cocky, and think you can keep up with bigger engined cars. Because we can't.

Maximum Velocity should try to talk more sense.
Up to about 20 mph I could. I could certainly sprint and accelerate faster that's for sure.

I doubt that. I know this because I'm a regular cyclist, and I couldn't accelerate at the same rate as my 1ltr Micra. No matter what I do to the gears on my bike.
As a car like a Yaris is much lighter than a bigger engined car with a much heavier body, so the power to weight ratio's are often comparable.
Such as a Yaris and a 2.5 Ford Galaxy.
If I'm wrong on anything I've said there, please correct me.

best boy!! has the best idea.

This is exactly what I was talking about. People might laugh at my car or say I should get a better car. But it's what I can afford, and it takes me where I need to go. It's cheap to run, and that's all I need it for.
Reply 59
My old 1L 206 did just fine on motorways.

Got it to 95 which it really didn't like, but it'll happily bomb along at 70 and overtake almost anything that needs to be ...except on inclines, when you'd best tuck into the crawler lane :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending