The Student Room Group

The TSR Musicians' Society

Scroll to see replies

rock_miss
Can I join?

I'm not brilliant but I play Keyboard a bit and I've not long started to play electric guitar. Not up to grade standard yet. I've not done enough guitar yet and I don't play keyboard seriously, not really tried grade pieces.

Read the first post :p:
Just wondered what people thought of someone with no real qualifications/grades in music joining before I put in an "official" request.
Reply 922
You don't need and real qualifications. You play an instrument, that is good enough.
Can i join? i play an electric guitar and recorder
Reply 924
hi princess jasmine..

ur name reminds me of that song in aladdin.. :biggrin:
Reply 925
sexysax
Zinc - Mozart concerto is fab, I play that all the time! It is one of my favourite pieces ever :love:

The James Rae 40 studies book is good. As is the Finzi - I love the first 4 movements, the last one is ghastly!!

Oh dear me, i'm currently playing a lot of james rae, my music teacher is friends with him. Doing some of his jazz stuff and some technical excersises, they reallly get the fingers moving!

try one called Cyclone at full tempo, hot damn!
Reply 926
haha. thats really cool.

anyway, i have a question for you musicians.

how do you know you've got what it takes to be a professional? how do you know you've got that 'thing' for music?
Reply 927
Well doing music at uni and being a professional can be quite different really.

Most professionals go to music colleges,and have had very good training from early on in their lives. There are exceptions, don't get me wrong, but that is generally the way.
sexysax
You don't need and real qualifications. You play an instrument, that is good enough.

And let that me a message to everyone. If you want in, just apply in the "socs" tab
Reply 929
Pardon?:p:
sexysax
Pardon?:p:

Im sayying that anyone who wants to join neednt ask here first :p:
Zinc11
haha. thats really cool.

anyway, i have a question for you musicians.

how do you know you've got what it takes to be a professional? how do you know you've got that 'thing' for music?

Do you live, breath, eat(!) music......is it what you live for? There is a guy at my school who exceptional at playing the piano. He can memorise absolutely anything and everything he plays. We (the orchestra) did a Saint Saens piano concerto with him last term.....sooo hard, he memorised all three movements. Amazing - he is what i would say has what it takes to be professional. Although obviously not every professional needs to be able to memorise everything they play!
Reply 932
MR_JR
Im sayying that anyone who wants to join neednt ask here first :p:

:rolleyes: :p:
Reply 933
i used to play blues key board in my high schools swing band, before that i have a grade 1 in the trombone lol

im currently learning guitar, mainly electric due to my musical stand point - its hard work but fun, and being a college really helps because around 1 in 4 people can play it to quite a high standard lol

anyway ive applied :wink:

any tips:rolleyes:
Reply 934
To be a professional musician in this day and age is extremely difficult, you have to be sensational by the time your 14, which i think is pretty unfair.

I don't like the way music is going, and in my opinion anyone with a different idea or style can make it big. I love music a lot, but i don't think i could make a career out of it, which is why im doing IB.

I know i'll play sax till the day ill die, but it will be a hobby, not a job, because then i'll be doing it for money which will take all of the fun out of it.
Reply 935
I will be playing my instruments until I die, and teaching them. It won't take the fun out of it. I think that is different for everyone. There are so many professional musicians, and they all enjoy what they are doing.
Reply 936
sexysax
I will be playing my instruments until I die, and teaching them. It won't take the fun out of it. I think that is different for everyone. There are so many professional musicians, and they all enjoy what they are doing.

Agreed. I think just because you are a professional musician it doesn't take the fun out of music.
Reply 937
i'm not saying if you are a professional, but if you find that you are doing gigs just to pay the bills then it will become laborious and boring.

Best that it's done when we want to.
Reply 938
Not really. If you are getting money from playing music then it is your choice. I played at a wedding last summer and got paid and really enjoyed the preparation for it and the performance. I wouldn't mind doing that more often.

If you don't find playing your instrument fun, in any situation then maybe you don't love it as much as you think.
sexysax
Not really. If you are getting money from playing music then it is your choice. I played at a wedding last summer and got paid and really enjoyed the preparation for it and the performance. I wouldn't mind doing that more often.

If you don't find playing your instrument fun, in any situation then maybe you don't love it as much as you think.

I agree! I think performing is a great way to earn money. It's a lot of fun, and great experience too. Problem is if you're not with an orchestra you have a very unstable income.

Quick Reply

Latest