The Student Room Group

The TSR Musicians' Society

Scroll to see replies

They have merged yes; but their syllabus doesn't come into effect yet; so you can still take exams with them separately.

I don't think the scales are that bad. The piano syllabus for AB is changing this summer; but I don't think the scales are. No other instruments are, except maybe strings.
Reply 1161
Hello everybody. I play the Piano (Grade VII) and Saxophone (Grade VII). I have a bog-standard upright piano but my baby is my Black Yamaha YAS-82Z Alto Sax :biggrin:
welcome!
oooh a black saxophone, very snazzy lol.
sexysax
You can skip any grades you like, and I have done so on many occasions. The only pre-requisite you need for grades 6-8 practical is either grade 5 theory; grade 5 jazz or grade 5 practical musicianship.

I would start theory lessons with the aim of taking grade 5, and see what mark you get in grade 4 practical. If it is a good one then work towards grade 6 but also learn lots of other repertoire. Once you have then passed grade 5, you can do what ever grade you like.:smile:

What pieces are you doing?

I am playing Allegro Vivace, Desafinado and I haven't got my C piece yet getting it next week without fail because I need to start practising it. I have mastered all the scales about 95% so I have to work on the pieces really. Desafinado is so bizarre but in the end I think it will sound SO cool. I love playing latin (haven't got much though). What C piece do u think I should play for the classical exam?
Thanks everyone. V. glad to hear that I CAN skip a grade. Gotta get started on music theory (think that will be the hardest part. Think the beginning will be hard but once I've got into it it will be alright.)
Anyone have any advice for me on this (soz): I find it very difficult to count and play at the same time. It is like the sax drowns out the countnig in my head or I can't concentrate on both! I can do morw than 2 things at once so I don understand why I can't do that lol
nuttymimi
welcome!
oooh a black saxophone, very snazzy lol.

A black sax is soo sexy. I would love to get one one day. I wish I had a miniature saxophone but I can't get one right now. One day when Im a bit older and a bit more into my sax.
Maria08
I am playing Allegro Vivace, Desafinado and I haven't got my C piece yet getting it next week without fail because I need to start practising it. I have mastered all the scales about 95% so I have to work on the pieces really. Desafinado is so bizarre but in the end I think it will sound SO cool. I love playing latin (haven't got much though). What C piece do u think I should play for the classical exam?
Thanks everyone. V. glad to hear that I CAN skip a grade. Gotta get started on music theory (think that will be the hardest part. Think the beginning will be hard but once I've got into it it will be alright.)
Anyone have any advice for me on this (soz): I find it very difficult to count and play at the same time. It is like the sax drowns out the countnig in my head or I can't concentrate on both! I can do morw than 2 things at once so I don understand why I can't do that lol

Hi again!

Allegro Vivace is a good choice, it is a really good arrangement for sax.

Desafinado is ace as well!

List C - Slavonic Dance is good fun, but it does change time signature quite often so if you have difficulty counting then maybe not. The Bourree by Handel is good, but it is quite long. I'll have a look at the ones in Sixty for Sax book as they are usually quite good.

Have you tried playing easy pieces that you know the notes so you can focus on the counting?
sexysax
Hi again!

Allegro Vivace is a good choice, it is a really good arrangement for sax.

Desafinado is ace as well!

List C - Slavonic Dance is good fun, but it does change time signature quite often so if you have difficulty counting then maybe not. The Bourree by Handel is good, but it is quite long. I'll have a look at the ones in Sixty for Sax book as they are usually quite good.

Have you tried playing easy pieces that you know the notes so you can focus on the counting?

Kinda. I'll try that more. I will try and try and try because I have to get past this stage. I wanna be the best sax player in the world lol . Problem is exams coming up. I have 4 courseworks to do in 6 days as well as revision. It totally sucks. I am the biggest idiot for letting that happen. Never again because everything else has to sacrifice. My health, my family, MY SAX goes on and on..
Thanks
Had my grade 3 sax exams on July 7th last year which sucked for obvious reasons. Was watching news and worrying so practised VERY little on the day of the exam. Thought I did badly. 2 days before my birthday came home from paintballing and I found out I got a distinction! .Woo hoo!:biggrin: Know it was last year but still happy. Will always be happy about it. I got passes in my 1st 2 exams and then I got a distinction lol skipping pass with merit.:smile:
Wow, congrats!!!!!!!
That's great!

I try to see sax practice as a relief from doing other work; don't see it like you have to do it, because then you won't. View it as something relaxing.
Been looking on some sites for help on music theory. Totally don't get it. It just seems random. I haven't found any logic in what I've seen at all. Also, it totally bores me and I'm just not interested because it is kinda mathematical and I hate maths more than anything.:frown:
Do you have MSN? I taught a few people theory over that? I can help if you want?
sexysax
Do you have MSN? I taught a few people theory over that? I can help if you want?

Yep. I do. I would like some help please. Thankyou very much
I have Pm'd you with my address.:smile:
Reply 1174
heellooo!! how do u join?? i wanna be a member lol!

I play the flute woooooooooo!!
Welcome! Go the the Socs link at the top of the page and find this one and request to join!
does anyone feel that if they lost their hand or voice they would die? If i lost my voice (not that im WOW at singing, but i loveeee it sooo much) id think seriously that that was it! i sound a little wierd i suppose.. ok maybe a lot.. but i guess i love singing that much, i dont know what id be if i couldnt sing anymore
well...i can confirm for anyone who thinks it wouldn't be terrible, that it is the most annoying thing ever! I lost my voice for 3 months last year:eek: - they thought I had nodules, but fortunately I didn't. I couldn't sing, I couldn't have a conversation with big groups of people, or if there was music in the background, parties were horrendous, it was really tiring, i couldn't join in games all over Christmas coz nobody could here me erm...oh yes, I am doing french A Level and hopefully studying it at uni, but due to losing my voice I have now dropped a grade...:frown: hmmm....

Yes, it is definitely truly horrendous! lol
Elanor_Gamgee
well...i can confirm for anyone who thinks it wouldn't be terrible, that it is the most annoying thing ever! I lost my voice for 3 months last year:eek: - they thought I had nodules, but fortunately I didn't. I couldn't sing, I couldn't have a conversation with big groups of people, or if there was music in the background, parties were horrendous, it was really tiring, i couldn't join in games all over Christmas coz nobody could here me erm...oh yes, I am doing french A Level and hopefully studying it at uni, but due to losing my voice I have now dropped a grade...:frown: hmmm....

Yes, it is definitely truly horrendous! lol

Awwww. I'm sorry to hear that.
Aww :hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest