The Student Room Group

The TSR Musicians' Society

Scroll to see replies

Well, I've been playing the piano for the last 3 years and I'm gonna do Grade I practical this month and Grade 4 theory in April 2008. Like mr_jr, I too have a phobia for practice, but the funny thing is that even without practice, I can play all my pieces perfectly, but I sometimes don't manage to play them properly because my mind tends to wander off to some other thoughts!

I just practice perhaps once a week (or sometimes not even that), but when it comes to exams, it becomes every day! My mom has a big problem with the fact that I finish practicing in 15 minutes, but she doesn't realise that its just 3 pieces! :smile:

I do the IWMS (Institute of Western Music and Speech) exams, I want to know whether it is also held in England!

Cheers! :pepsi:
Reply 1601
I don't think so, going just by what I've looked at on the web, is it not just based in Sri Lanka? We have The ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal Sschools of Music here.

I've found the way I got over practice phobia (I used to HATE it). Is that I just sat down at the piano and played something I liked the sound of. If you don't have any family around at the time you could just play nonsensical chords that sound good (guilty), or pieces that aren't grade pieces. This means even if you aren't playing what you 'need' to play, your still keeping in touch with the piano. There's no such thing as perfection at grade 1, play harder pieces! :wink:

/End hypocritical rant.
hmmm...........nice advice........no I just had a feeling that iwms was also in England, though I have no idea why such a thought crossed my mind! :frown:

I wonder if any of you ppl know the piece "Minuet" by J.S. Bach? It's kinda hard, but its really nice to hear once you've got the feel of it! :smile:
Ah i found a link to that piece i mentioned http://gardenofpraise.com/key21af.htm

but the bass clef sounds kinda different........:frown:....i'll try to post the one which i play sometime soon.......and there are a bit of additions and subtractions to the piece towards the end when compared to the one i'm playing! :eek:
Reply 1604
This is probably the best known of the pieces from "Little Notebook of Anna-Magdalena Bach", his 4th (and last) wife. She was a beginner on the harpsichord and so he wrote her several very attractive pieces which are not hard to get under the fingers. These have become staples for all keyboard teachers; and there is a very clear message here. Play the things that you like to hear and then the "practicing" becomes "playing" (God, I'm beginning to sound like Julie Andrews!) Surely there is enough choice in exam and treaching pieces these days that you can choose pieces that you enjoy. Otherwise, what is the point?
Can I ask you music knowledged people something :adore:

I play the guitar and piano very fluently, and - for some reason - I'm interested in the harp.

Would it be easier for me since I now recognise the notes and am apt at strings?
Kagutsuchi

I play the guitar and piano very fluently, and - for some reason - I'm interested in the harp.

Would it be easier for me since I now recognise the notes and am apt at strings?

I think the more instruments you do play, the easier most new instruments will be, especially when you can read music. Playing the harp after you've played the piano is kind of confusing at first (I found) because of having your hands on either side of the instrument instead of both in front (if that makes any kind of sense). Regarding guitar you'll have to cut your nails on both hands to play the harp (if you're a long-nails-on-one-hand person). But anyway, yeah, I reckon you'd find it easier than a complete newbie to music. :smile:

Have fun paying for a harp... :wink:
Zayne
I've found the way I got over practice phobia (I used to HATE it). Is that I just sat down at the piano and played something I liked the sound of. If you don't have any family around at the time you could just play nonsensical chords that sound good (guilty), or pieces that aren't grade pieces. This means even if you aren't playing what you 'need' to play, your still keeping in touch with the piano. There's no such thing as perfection at grade 1, play harder pieces! :wink:

/End hypocritical rant.

That's what I've been doing for years, it helps but can destroy your touch, as impro pieces tend to have limited dynamic range. Also it won't help you learn your grade pieces :p:
Reply 1608
Kagutsuchi

Having played the piano and guitar for years I recently got in touch with my roots by learning the Irish harp. Knowing chords and having some dexterity helped but it is harder to keep track of where the notes are just by the blue and red strings. Also the sharps are a rather crude hook that you turn manually to shorten the string temporarily which is a bit limiting but it is fine for most folk music. I heard a girl in Galway in the summer playing Coldplay and Tears For Fears on the Irish harp - it was surprisingly appropriate.
Thankeys nice people :p:

I think I'll buy a harp now :smile: Any suggestions?
Reply 1610
Try it first, for sure. Get a harp expert to look at it for you after you buy it?
I'm so jealous of people who can afford a harp. My friend has a lovely one but it was like £3000. :s-smilie:

You should maybe think about hiring one first to see how you get on?
I've always rather fancied the weeny irish harps. Quite reasonable, only 500 or so :wink:
Reply 1613
A few years ago, nice Mr. Blunkett (who was then Minister for Education) gave all us teachers £500 to get some "professional development". My development was to buy a locally made celtic harp from a retiring harp teacher in town. She even threw in a couple of lessons.
Hello. Wow, lots of musicians here. Although I shouldn't be surprised. I play the piano. Failed my grade 8 by 4 marks. :cry: I lost all my aural marks because I'm tone deaf. Erm... I play the violin too, a beginner though. Still trying to learn vibrato. Trying and not succeeding.

So you're all into harps? Bach sounds great on the harp.
Ive never seen a harp played. I bet theyre hypnotic =D

Im going to be learning saxophone soon, myself =D I cant wait to get it down here (I cant beleive I forgot to being it to uni >.<)
I'm working on Chopin's butterfly. It's so bouncy!
<--Guitar (acoustic and electric), trumpet, piano and choir
Does any one know where I can get the music notes for Nerina Pallots- Sophia
Singing grade 7
Theory grade 8
Piano accordion
Tin whistle

(unfortunately there are no grading systems for the last two...apart from Comhaltas but my school doesn't go in for that :biggrin: )

Quick Reply

Latest