The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Jump
so they should go blow up somewhere else? :confused: :rolleyes:

No, you're missing the point entirely. I don't live in London, so I'm not biased! The fact of the matter is, it smarts a bit more, and naturally so, that the UK payed these bombers benefits, from which they lived off, when in actual fact, they are attempting to end the lives of so many others here.

Of course it's not right for anywhere to be bombed, you know that and I know that, so stop arsing around. But I just think these people are an absolute waste of space...
Reply 521
zhivago
No, you're missing the point entirely. I don't live in London, so I'm not biased! The fact of the matter is, it smarts a bit more, and naturally so, that the UK payed these bombers benefits, from which they lived off, when in actual fact, they are attempting to end the lives of so many others here.

Of course it's not right for anywhere to be bombed, you know that and I know that, so stop arsing around. But I just think these people are an absolute waste of space...

But I cannot see how the fact that the UK gave them benefits has any relevance other than perhaps some form of twisted irony?
Reply 522
Jump
But I cannot see how the fact that the UK gave them benefits has any relevance other than perhaps some form of twisted irony?

Well, yeah, basically that's what I'm getting at. It almost seems like a certain ungratefulness! I know I must seem stupid, but it just adds insult to injury from where I am...

Obviously, you are correct. It's not right in any sense of the matter, but it just adds a nerve, and kind of makes them appear even more pathetic, along with their cause. What I mean to say is - they must have hated this country so much, to try an attempt to do what they did, right? And yet, they are utterly and entirely dependant on the thing they hate so much (Britain). In my eyes, that makes them weaker and even more pathetic than they are in the first instance.
Reply 523
zhivago
Well, yeah, basically that's what I'm getting at. It almost seems like a certain ungratefulness! I know I must seem stupid, but it just adds insult to injury from where I am...

Obviously, you are correct. It's not right in any sense of the matter, but it just adds a nerve, and kind of makes them appear even more pathetic, along with their cause. What I mean to say is - they must have hated this country so much, to try an attempt to do what they did, right? And yet, they are utterly and entirely dependant on the thing they hate so much (Britain). In my eyes, that makes them weaker and even more pathetic than they are in the first instance.

I think I know what you mean but to play devils advocate a little longer, couldn't the situation be likened to an abused child who eventually fights back; they are fully dependant upon their abusive parents yet turn against them...
zhivago

I hear what you're saying, and I would add the wearing of a "New York" hoodie (chilling reference to 9/11) and an England replica shirt by two of the suspects, to the things which added insult to a potentially injurious situation. Oh, that, and the fact that they shouted out "I have rights" when the police closed in on them in Notting Hill. The audacity of these fellows is just unbelievable, and has led me to believe that they should be treated with the contempt that they deserve.
Reply 525
mobb_theprequel
I hear what you're saying, and I would add the wearing of a "New York" hoodie (chilling reference to 9/11)

Did they say admit that because it's quite common to have "New York" splashed across hoodies...

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that small details such as that or the others mentioned are of next to no relevence in comparison to the original atrosities.
Jump
Did they say admit that because it's quite common to have "New York" splashed across hoodies...

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that small details such as that or the others mentioned are of next to no relevence in comparison to the original atrosities.

To me, all these details [although they're clearly peripheral in terms of the base atrocities] contribute to my utter personal distaste for the bombers, and would-be bombers. Every shred of their activities was totally insensitive - from planning to maim and kill scores of people, to the subliminal discourse contained in their clothing, to the disgraceful [and completely cowardly] nature of their incarceration.

It's hard to believe that people can display such total disregard for the lives of fellow men: but clearly they can and do. And to think that they expect(ed) 80 virgins to be waiting for them in some valhalla, just makes me wonder how people can be so totally delusional.
Reply 527
Jump

Hmmm - well what about the guy reported as never being seen in anything but traditional dress wearing an England shirt?
Reply 528
Jump
so they should go blow up somewhere else? :confused: :rolleyes:

No, we were let down by the immigration service, by EU Human Rights agreements who let these men into the country, set them up in a flat to spend most of their day plotting how to blow up London.
Reply 529
mobb_theprequel
To me, all these details [although they're clearly peripheral in terms of the base atrocities] contribute to my utter personal distaste for the bombers, and would-be bombers. Every shred of their activities was totally insensitive - from planning to maim and kill scores of people, to the subliminal discourse contained in their clothing, to the disgraceful [and completely cowardly] nature of their incarceration.

It's hard to believe that people can display such total disregard for the lives of fellow men: but clearly they can and do. And to think that they expect(ed) 80 virgins to be waiting for them in some valhalla, just makes me wonder how people can be so totally delusional.

Well I dont mean to be harsh, but if youve only just realised that Islamic suicide bombers hell bent on establishing an Islamic caliphate and destroying infidels, are 'totally insensitive', then what did you believe after 9/11?
Vienna
Well I dont mean to be harsh, but if youve only just realised that Islamic suicide bombers hell bent on establishing an Islamic caliphate and destroying infidels, are 'totally insensitive', then what did you believe after 9/11?

Yes, well it's not particularly difficult to wade in with a frivolous retort - as we saw merely a few posts ago on this thread. Of course I'm not so naive as to have undergone a complete re-evaluation of my views towards suicide bombers, in the wake of recent events in London. 9/11 was obviously the definitive watershed for most of the population, myself included.

What I was trying to draw attention to [in mentioning 'insensitivity'] was the callous pattern of behaviour which seems to typify the every action of these would-be bombers. We - the viewing public - weren't afforded the opportunity to scrutinise hours and hours of television footage, centred wholly on those responsible for the 9/11 atrocities; of course, we got the shocking images of destruction, and the aftermath - but the hunt for the 21/7 bombers, is a qualitatively different experience: we have been able to see an investigation unfurl on a round-the-clock basis, and have known the identities of the bombers from near the outset. From the fact that people planned to strike so soon after the events on the 7th July, to the fact that they were British nationals, to their visible noncompliance once encircled by the police - I think that the manhunt for the 21/7 would-be bombers has thrown up a scenario which is harder to digest for the British public than, perhaps, 9/11.
Reply 531
I agree whole-heartedly with mobb_theprequel. I also picked up on the "New York" jacket and England shirt. As I've already said, the comments they made as their flats were raided really pissed me off.

Jump makes the point that these incidents seem small and of little relevance compared to the attacks themselves, and I can see why he has that viewpoint. It's just, I personally, feel the little insulting things just build upon my hatred for them.

It also demeans and belittles their cause, with their silly references to previous terrorism and patriotic ironies.
Reply 532
Erm - he didn't kill anyone! And then dumped the shirt thinking that people would out 2 and 2 together from CCTV footage.

I realise this probably isn't in the best taste - I'm still trying to work out if it's funny or not:

Latest

Trending

Trending