The Student Room Group

EEM suitable for a Master Degree Economics?

Would Economics, Engineering and Management compete well for a MSc in Economics?

There are a few modules in Oxford's EEM course which overlap with their Economics (and Management) course, so I'm wondering if it's okay for a EEM student to apply for a MSc in Econ.

In case anyone's wondering why I'm asking... I want to do some Undergraduate Engineering and then move onto a Masters in Economics. Basically, trying to plan my academic route.
Reply 1
It depends on what universities and courses you're aiming for. I think you'd need to be very good (i.e. comfortable firsts) to get into a one-year masters program at a top university. I think your background would be suitable for a two-year masters designed for people who are academically good but haven't studied all the necessary material to study at a masters level.

I think it's important to have the right math background. I'd advise choosing your optional modules very carefully. You want to be loading-up on Statistics. I'm assuming Real Analysis and Math Method courses would be included in the Engineering part of your work(?), and hopefully your management modules should involve some Game Theory. On paper, it sounds better than Economics and Management since you'd hope that Engineering is more mathematical than the other two components.

Overall, I don't see it being a problem at all if you don't mind spending an extra year doing a diploma (or equivalent) before progressing onto the masters stage. And you might even get straight into the one-year course if you have a strong application. Perhaps you can ask your tutors at uni if they have a decent record of their students studying for a masters in Engineering or Economics.

Latest

Trending

Trending