The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

x_dwin_ffeimys_x
well maby it's wrong to hate the whole english nationality, but a lot of them goes on my nerves
1) when it comes down to sport (well hockey anyway), it's the english captains that help decide on GB teams, so us welsh don't get a mention, this pisses me off, coz I know a lot of the welsh girls on my team are way better than the english ones who were chosen!!
2) Again about hockey, when playing in Loughbrough representing wales with my college against different regions in england, all the reffs were against us, and sent 3 of our players off and disallowed my goal!!!
3) They think we only speak welsh to insult them - but it;s our first language, and we have the right to speak it!
4) They think Wales is a part of England

5) The tourist that comes up here over the summer are just SNOBS!! and think themselves to be much better than you, coz they have a yot!!
6) The 'english' people at school would refuse to speak welsh to you, it's the language of this bloody country - suppsoe they did end up as loners and got bullied for that though!

I could go ona nd on.....
but as I say I do like some english people!! but the majority is UCHH

To be honest, I don't think 99% of English people care whether you speak Welsh or not as we don't live in Wales. I know I for one don't count Wales as being in England, that would be a bit backwards, I count it as a separate country.

Point 6 makes it sound as if you're glad these people got bullied because they couldn't speak Welsh which sounds awfully unfair, correct me if I'm wrong but not speaking a language doesn't make anyone less of a person for them to be 'outcasted' like the plague or something. Anyway isn't it only like 20% of the welsh population that can speak the language? Not a massive amount to be honest...

Points 1 and 2 are a matter of opinion.. subjective.

Point 5 - *yacht

Sorry. I'm just being incredibly pedantic today. Anyway, as for the question in hand I don't particularly hate any nationality. Maybe strongly dislike certain members of any given nationality, but nowhere in particular.
Reply 61
It would be the Americans I think, then perhaps the English.

I know the English are supposed to hate the French, but I don't think other nationalities really get that. When explaining it to an American I was told I was an idiot. :sigh:

The Irish; again that's an English perspective and dated now.

And the Germans? I don't think people hate them, they just like to poke fun. :dontknow:
Reply 62
I don't get all this American hatred? I found the Americans to be quite hospitable but yeah the French have to be the worst nation yet ironically it's the most popular language to learn in the UK. Hmmm.
Reply 63
:indiff:
In2deep
WHY???:eek3:

loooool Somalis are mix of Arabs and Africans and therefore don't want to be associated with both:biggrin:

In all honesty, USA and Isreal should definitely be on that list.

No we're not, thats just a myth, were only 5% arab. Anyway, it's somali's that are way proud, we don't wantto be associated with either:indiff:.
I seriously doubt we are the most hated nationality, i'l put my money on america and the french.
Reply 64
Gueirguiy
1. English
2. American

The other 3 don't deserve a mention I think.

Why would English be most hated, you weidro.

I would say any Middle Eastern race, or the Yanks.
SpiritedAway
Well, England seems to have the same mentality :erm: Regardless of whether they are tourists or not, many people seem to think that EVERYONE can speak English.

I like the French, they are actually really nice people.
Woah.. why the hell is French first? I've been to France as well and found the people pretty ok (I'm not English though) maybe they're just act a certain way towards English people.. and yeah America should definately be on the list..
Yuppie20
Why would English be most hated, you weidro.

I would say any Middle Eastern race, or the Yanks.
At some point or other, England annoyed just about every other nation it came into contact with that was close to home. The Scots - long history of conflict. The Welsh - OK, technically the last Welsh Prince was in 13-something, but then there's the influx of English ironmasters during the Industrial Revolution. Ireland - eeesh, we don't even need to get IN to that discussion. France? Hundred Years War, Agincourt, Waterloo etc etc. Germany - WW1, ceretainly. Holland - the trade wars involving the East India/Dutch East India Companies. Spain - Elizabeth 1 and Drake etc. And so on. Fair enough, England got on the nerves of most of its neighbours at some point (important to realise that this was a fluid thing - the Welsh and Scots were part of the army that annoyed the French and Spanish for instance...)

Copied from somewhere, but you get the point..
Reply 67
i think it has to be the english with our island mentality
Notker
3) Speaking a language that another cannot understand when you can speak their language is universally considered extremely rude. I can speak Danish and Norwegian but wouldn't dream of doing so when in the company of someone who cannot. When I was at university my main friendship group consisted of three Danes and a Dutch girl, we never once spoke Danish around her; it would have been incredibly rude and exclusionary.

4) The English, for the most part, are well aware that we have nothing to do with the Welsh except geography and a politcal union. Nor would a greater union of the two countries be wanted.

6) Maybe because they speak English better than Welsh? Why would an English person learn Welsh anyway?

3) I ment, while in a que say/ or in a chip shop, in a pub, whith all my mates who all speak welsh, then an english persona t the bar or behind us whould go what did you say about me then?
My mate lives in a flat now and shes the only welsh person, when I visit, I do speak english coz yes it would be rude, but I aslo speak welsh with her sometimes because it feels wierd talking english with her all the time, and besides her flatmates dont mind, theyr catching on!

4) As I said, some english, liem yourself? do know that wales and england are not the same countrys, but some don't! they are the ones that annoy me

6) Where I come from we hardly speak any english....and it annoys me when the english don't understand this!!! And you should at least try and understand the welsh language...

umbrellahead
To be honest, I don't think 99% of English people care whether you speak Welsh or not as we don't live in Wales. I know I for one don't count Wales as being in England, that would be a bit backwards, I count it as a separate country.

Point 6 makes it sound as if you're glad these people got bullied because they couldn't speak Welsh which sounds awfully unfair, correct me if I'm wrong but not speaking a language doesn't make anyone less of a person for them to be 'outcasted' like the plague or something. Anyway isn't it only like 20% of the welsh population that can speak the language? Not a massive amount to be honest...

Points 1 and 2 are a matter of opinion.. subjective.

Point 5 - *yacht

Sorry. I'm just being incredibly pedantic today. Anyway, as for the question in hand I don't particularly hate any nationality. Maybe strongly dislike certain members of any given nationality, but nowhere in particular.

yeah I cant spell :o:
but naa maby I didnt phrase my 6) very well, I don't agree or support any kind of bullying it's just wrong!! I just don't like it when a new kid came to school, (they all had to take a 6week couse at a welsh learning school before starting) and then expect you to talk english with them, when we all knew they knew the basics, all they had to do was at least try you know!!
Reply 69
kevin_123
At some point or other, England annoyed just about every other nation it came into contact with that was close to home. The Scots - long history of conflict. The Welsh - OK, technically the last Welsh Prince was in 13-something, but then there's the influx of English ironmasters during the Industrial Revolution. Ireland - eeesh, we don't even need to get IN to that discussion. France? Hundred Years War, Agincourt, Waterloo etc etc. Germany - WW1, ceretainly. Holland - the trade wars involving the East India/Dutch East India Companies. Spain - Elizabeth 1 and Drake etc. And so on. Fair enough, England got on the nerves of most of its neighbours at some point (important to realise that this was a fluid thing - the Welsh and Scots were part of the army that annoyed the French and Spanish for instance...)

Copied from somewhere, but you get the point..

everyone wants to see/know a British person thought. everyone wants to kill a kraut and harpoon a yank.
Reply 70
x_dwin_ffeimys_x
well maby it's wrong to hate the whole english nationality, but a lot of them goes on my nerves
1) when it comes down to sport (well hockey anyway), it's the english captains that help decide on GB teams, so us welsh don't get a mention, this pisses me off, coz I know a lot of the welsh girls on my team are way better than the english ones who were chosen!!
2) Again about hockey, when playing in Loughbrough representing wales with my college against different regions in england, all the reffs were against us, and sent 3 of our players off and disallowed my goal!!!
3) They think we only speak welsh to insult them - but it;s our first language, and we have the right to speak it!
4) They think Wales is a part of England
5) The tourist that comes up here over the summer are just SNOBS!! and think themselves to be much better than you, coz they have a yot!!
6) The 'english' people at school would refuse to speak welsh to you, it's the language of this bloody country - suppsoe they did end up as loners and got bullied for that though!

I could go ona nd on.....
but as I say I do like some english people!! but the majority is UCHH

:console:
Yuppie20
everyone wants to see/know a British person thought. everyone wants to kill a kraut and harpoon a yank.
Everyone wants to eat meat, but few actually want to kill the animal.
Reply 72
kevin_123
Everyone wants to eat meat, but few actually want to kill the animal.

wtf has that got to do with anything? If someone came up and offered me a cow I would kill it, in order to extract the succulent meat. I really don't know where you're going with this. I know we can't eat Germans, that's just sick, man.
Reply 73
in my area/school, people take the piss out of somalians the most
The English are simultaneously admired and hated by foreigners.
bansheeee*
Wellll:smile:

It changes from country to country. For example in America, British people are liked largely but in Germany they tend to be unpopular.
Turks seem to be hated everywhere in Europe except for in Albania, especially in Switzerland/Austria/Holland.
Russians tend to be hated in Eastern Europe but you'll often hear things like ''I like normal Russians, it just the government/Army I hate''.
Hungarians are unpopular in Slovakia/Romania/Czech Rep/Serbia for a numer of reasons.

By and large people are never indifferent to Brits...
Reply 76
Turkish.
Reply 77
Rimipie
in my area/school, people take the piss out of somalians the most

Somalis :eviltongue:
:p:
Yuppie20
wtf has that got to do with anything? If someone came up and offered me a cow I would kill it, in order to extract the succulent meat. I really don't know where you're going with this. I know we can't eat Germans, that's just sick, man.
Ok, a better one.. lots of people study/learn about Hitler, people even admire him despite all the things he done, that doesn't mean you still don't hate him.. see what I'm saying?
kevin_123
Woah.. why the hell is French first? I've been to France as well and found the people pretty ok (I'm not English though) maybe they're just act a certain way towards English people.. and yeah America should definately be on the list..

So why did you quote me :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending