The Student Room Group

Sick to death of doing exams in pen

I'm sick of this stupid rule of you having to do your exam in black pen. Are examiners so lazy that they have to mark it using a keyboard? What ever happened to good ol' fashioned red pen?!

Is it possible if I did my next exam all in pencil? I make way to many mistakes and cross so many things out that I end up having to squeeze stuff into a page because I skipped the question and left a blank.

This is for A-Level maths.

Scroll to see replies

I ,too, prefer pencil. It looks nicer as well, I think. But I get the grey graphite colour all over my hands as I'm left handed :frown:
Reply 2
Use a Crayon :smile:
Reply 3
(I'm a third year uni student)

Are you sure you have to answer the questions in order? I don't remember having to do that...
The rules are a bit daft, but quite honestly what do you want to do it in? Green marker pen?
Reply 5
Prick your finger with a needle and write with your blood.
Reply 6
I did my whole GCSE Maths in pencil and still got an A*, they can cope.
Reply 7
yoshi_105
Is it possible if I did my next exam all in pencil?

what?
When did they change the rules? I remember some time ago we could write in blue ink now its only black ink.
My hand writings scruffy in any colour of pen - it doesn't matter.
Black ink scans better than blue or pencil. Therefore black ink is standard for exams.
yh but i think this is because of the new scanner that they use
We have to use black pen but we don't have to answer the questions in order.
Reply 13
Tried using biros as opposed to the few other things people seem to use? I've used them since GCSE, find them way quicker & easier than gel-type/whatever pens though some people don't seem to.
Finger paints ftw.
At my school last week they made someone who had written all in pencil to rewrite their entire paper while being watched constantly by an examiner at the end of the paper.
Reply 16
i dont which board you are talking about...but all my exams are edexcel and for the past 2 years i have been doing my accounts paper fully in pencil

i have a couple of classmates who did their maths exam in both pencil and pen!!
Reply 17
You're allowed to do diagrams in pencil, so it's definitely readable. But some examiners are complete *****.
yoshi_105
I'm sick of this stupid rule of you having to do your exam in black pen. Are examiners so lazy that they have to mark it using a keyboard? What ever happened to good ol' fashioned red pen?!

Is it possible if I did my next exam all in pencil? I make way to many mistakes and cross so many things out that I end up having to squeeze stuff into a page because I skipped the question and left a blank.

This is for A-Level maths.

I wouldn't advise just doing the whole paper in pencil without getting clarification first. It's not worth the risk. Talk to your examinations officer. However at some point your going to have to write in pen and not pencil so why not do it at A Level? If you make a mistake cross it out. I remember all of my Maths booklets left huge spaces for working out. If you cross something out you can always ask for extra sheets during the exam which can then be attached to your exam script. I know it would be easier to rub it out (in terms of time) but if the papers are getting scanned in it may make the equations you've erased and rewritten illegible.
Reply 19
Although it's readable to use pencil, I personally would not take the risk. Just use biros for your exams, you don't have that many in the long scheme of things.

Latest

Trending

Trending