The Student Room Group

Honest opinion/advice urgently needed!

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, been browsing it for a few days and it seemed quite useful. I'm having a bit of a stressful time, I keep getting this nagging feeling that I may not get into any of the universities I'm applying to! I'm a business management student, and so far I'm on track to get a 1st, but I want to study Globalisation/Development at Masters level. I took 2 modules within my business degree on globalisation. I feel confident in my ability and know the masters will be vital for my future goals of working for an NGO/research role, but I'm scared that my non geography/social science background will be used against me.

Also, due to health reasons I wasn't able to work much in the last 2 years of study and the voluntary experience I had with local & charity organisations has been sporadic and some time ago. I have passion for the subject, but feel I have no 'evidence' to show the admissions team. Due to this I'm having difficulty in drafting my personal statement as well.

Your honest opinion and help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
Reply 1
Sk84
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, been browsing it for a few days and it seemed quite useful. I'm having a bit of a stressful time, I keep getting this nagging feeling that I may not get into any of the universities I'm applying to! I'm a business management student, and so far I'm on track to get a 1st, but I want to study Globalisation/Development at Masters level. I took 2 modules within my business degree on globalisation. I feel confident in my ability and know the masters will be vital for my future goals of working for an NGO/research role, but I'm scared that my non geography/social science background will be used against me.

Also, due to health reasons I wasn't able to work much in the last 2 years of study and the voluntary experience I had with local & charity organisations has been sporadic and some time ago. I have passion for the subject, but feel I have no 'evidence' to show the admissions team. Due to this I'm having difficulty in drafting my personal statement as well.

Your honest opinion and help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

You need to tell us a bit more.
What universities/courses have you applied to.
Did you get a first in your second year?
Do you have good references?
Reply 2
Hi, thanks for your reply...

-I'm applying to UCL Msc Globalisation, SOAS: Globalisation & Development, KCL: Environment, Politics & Globalisation

-I got a first in my second year and have references from two of my senior lecturers who know me well and support my further study goals, I did well in their modules so I'm confident their references will be good.

-I studied Globalisation (as a module) in my second year which gave a in-depth introduction on the drivers, strengths and perils of a globalised world. It also looked at the role of organisations like the IMF, Worldbank and their success & failures.

-I studied Governing Global Business last semester which strengthened my desire to study the subject, this module examined the effects on human communities and environment from transnational corporations. We also considered alternative views and futures to globalisation other than neo-liberalism.

Cheers and congrats on your Cambridge offer!
Reply 3
Sk84
Hi, thanks for your reply...

-I'm applying to UCL Msc Globalisation, SOAS: Globalisation & Development, KCL: Environment, Politics & Globalisation

-I got a first in my second year and have references from two of my senior lecturers who know me well and support my further study goals, I did well in their modules so I'm confident their references will be good.

-I studied Globalisation (as a module) in my second year which gave a in-depth introduction on the drivers, strengths and perils of a globalised world. It also looked at the role of organisations like the IMF, Worldbank and their success & failures.

-I studied Governing Global Business last semester which strengthened my desire to study the subject, this module examined the effects on human communities and environment from transnational corporations. We also considered alternative views and futures to globalisation other than neo-liberalism.

Cheers and congrats on your Cambridge offer!

If you hold a first and have good references you hold a reasonable chance.
Your personal statement should point out why your interested in changing to a different type of subject (away from business) and what relevant experience you have. So do mention the courses you've taken as well as any lectures/seminars you've attended on the topic.
Also, state clearly want you want to do later on and how the MSc is going to help your career!
Reply 4
Thank you so much for your reply and honest opinion, I'm finally able to formulate my thoughts into a statement. I'll let you know how it goes!

Latest

Trending

Trending