The Student Room Group

Psychology PY4 (WJEC)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Ahh it was good. Everyone found it good meaning the boundaries will probably be high I suppose? And there's a bunch of stuff I forgot to include :frown: and my genetic/environment essay that I'd revised was more about nature v nurture therefore including hormones/brain structures but I had to sort of focus solely on genetics in this essay :o: And forgot to mention Freud as an example of the interaction between nature and nurture :frown: sigh.

Also disorders of memory!! Gah I was a bit confused and forgot the studies :o:

I think the questions were good, I did well with the description bit but NOT sure about evaluation, and hardly even had any evaluation for the controversy :\
Reply 521
I actually think I lacked a01. And I think I found it hard because I know I have probably just 7 marks out of 25 for disorders and about 18 for nature nurture. I hope my py2 picks up more marks now.
And I left lots of comments for the examiner like when i concluded I said ill let the examiner decide what effected bwhavouir , nature or nurture
I hope he finds it a little funny
Reply 522
Totally messd up .. hoping i get the a01 points..not too sure about evaluation i just sucked at that .. i just kept saying reductionist / scientific etc. =/
Reply 523
jabed786
I actually think I lacked a01. And I think I found it hard because I know I have probably just 7 marks out of 25 for disorders and about 18 for nature nurture. I hope my py2 picks up more marks now.

What did you mention for nature nurture?? I hardly evaluated :frown:

Humz09
Totally messd up .. hoping i get the a01 points..not too sure about evaluation i just sucked at that .. i just kept saying reductionist / scientific etc. =/

LOL same pretty much :frown: reductionist/no cause and effect/scientific/too simplistic/supports basic predictions/flawed/gender bias/external validity :\ lmao that's pretty much all my evaluation was based on :frown:
Reply 524
mel0n
What did you mention for nature nurture?? I hardly evaluated :frown:

LOL same pretty much :frown: reductionist/no cause and effect/scientific/too simplistic/supports basic predictions/flawed/gender bias/external validity :\ lmao that's pretty much all my evaluation was based on :frown:

For nature nurture essay I just said how one point supported one side. Then I did ao3 like stress Diathis model and discussed concdance rates and gene environment reactions
Reply 525
What did you write for disorders of mem and theories of crime
Reply 526
jabed786
For nature nurture essay I just said how one point supported one side. Then I did ao3 like stress Diathis model and discussed concdance rates and gene environment reactions

What is A03? Evaluation??? I hardly had any evaluation :frown:

Erm for disorders of mem:

Amnesia - characterized by a temoporary or permanent loss of memory. Anterograde and retrograde amnesia.

Clivee wearing who developed both - I said this provides in depth detail qualititatyive blah but findings of brain damages patients can't be generalised to wider populations so lack of extgernal validity i think?

Psychogenic amnesia - result of traumatic events or psychological cause with absencve of biological brain damage.. Kopelman & taylor found that 30-40% of murders of family members or crimes of passion have no recollection - i said this supports the basic assumptions of the amnesia but lacks validity cos they could be lying, exaggerating the truth or something and so it's not a reliable source of data (interviews are subjective) or something :\

Erm Alzheimers - degeneration of memory system

Genetic cause - Matt Ridley and his findings - i said this provides strong support but is not absolute so doesn't exclude other factors. it's reductionist as it doesn't take into account other factors? i think

Brain Structures - forgot the names of the study and wrote Berg et Al but i think that's werong hahaha. neuritic plaques and neurofibrillary tangles (not sure if i actually wrote that) i think i said it's good methodology or something but no cause and effect can be established :\

i'm now thinking of looooads i could have included but didnt :| can't remember fully..

theories of crime:

early bioligical theories: lorenz, gall's idea of phrenology and lambroso
Genetic explanation - Jacobs and Katz idea of XYY supermale but this is gender bias as doesn't explain why women commit crime and only can account for 3.5% so other factors are involved
Testosterone - I messed this bit up!! :frown: couldn't remember the findings so it was REALLYYY vague but i remembers it's something about correlation so i wrote about no cause and effect or whatever and also gender biased

ermmm

Psychodynamic and Freud saying it occurs as a fixation. I said during the phallic stage but it's oral stage i think so that's all gonna be wrong :frown: didn't know how to evaluate i just said it accounts for emotional factors and provides in depth info :\ but it hink he said women have lower morality in which case they'd commit more crimes but they dont?

And differential asoociation theory which i sort of forgot :frown: it was all a bit muddled as well and i had no studies to support it :\ evaluation w\ sa bit week

sorry about the typing, today my typos are because of my thumb hurting like mad!! Also I went to the toilet half way through the exam and GOT LOCKED IN :colonhash:

Also, the bits that i included in intended as evaluation id on't think they'll be noticed to be ebaluation, they seem like they cvould be either :~(
Reply 527
mel0n
What is A03? Evaluation??? I hardly had any evaluation :frown:

Erm for disorders of mem:

Amnesia - characterized by a temoporary or permanent loss of memory. Anterograde and retrograde amnesia.

Clivee wearing who developed both - I said this provides in depth detail qualititatyive blah but findings of brain damages patients can't be generalised to wider populations so lack of extgernal validity i think?

Psychogenic amnesia - result of traumatic events or psychological cause with absencve of biological brain damage.. Kopelman & taylor found that 30-40% of murders of family members or crimes of passion have no recollection - i said this supports the basic assumptions of the amnesia but lacks validity cos they could be lying, exaggerating the truth or something and so it's not a reliable source of data (interviews are subjective) or something :\

Erm Alzheimers - degeneration of memory system

Genetic cause - Matt Ridley and his findings - i said this provides strong support but is not absolute so doesn't exclude other factors. it's reductionist as it doesn't take into account other factors? i think

Brain Structures - forgot the names of the study and wrote Berg et Al but i think that's werong hahaha. neuritic plaques and neurofibrillary tangles (not sure if i actually wrote that) i think i said it's good methodology or something but no cause and effect can be established :\

i'm now thinking of looooads i could have included but didnt :| can't remember fully..

theories of crime:

early bioligical theories: lorenz, gall's idea of phrenology and lambroso
Genetic explanation - Jacobs and Katz idea of XYY supermale but this is gender bias as doesn't explain why women commit crime and only can account for 3.5% so other factors are involved
Testosterone - I messed this bit up!! :frown: couldn't remember the findings so it was REALLYYY vague but i remembers it's something about correlation so i wrote about no cause and effect or whatever and also gender biased

ermmm

Psychodynamic and Freud saying it occurs as a fixation. I said during the phallic stage but it's oral stage i think so that's all gonna be wrong :frown: didn't know how to evaluate i just said it accounts for emotional factors and provides in depth info :\ but it hink he said women have lower morality in which case they'd commit more crimes but they dont?

And differential asoociation theory which i sort of forgot :frown: it was all a bit muddled as well and i had no studies to support it :\ evaluation w\ sa bit week

sorry about the typing, today my typos are because of my thumb hurting like mad!! Also I went to the toilet half way through the exam and GOT LOCKED IN :colonhash:

Also, the bits that i included in intended as evaluation id on't think they'll be noticed to be ebaluation, they seem like they cvould be either :~(

Wow that definately sounds grade a standard. I tried following the breif plan you said about disorders before in a post. But I seriously ****** it up. Like I just said some studf about psychofenic amnesia and dissociative disorders. Then I didn't know if the matt ridley thing was alzheimers or amnesia so I left it out. And talked about berg and amnesia then I said what antergrsde and retrograde were but with no explanations lol so yeah my plan was crap. I just hope some peopel.did worse and the grades are attainable. This girlin my class only learnt theories of crime for forenics and it came up whereas I learnt aall of memroy. But th one didnt know came up. life isn't fair

Yeah my thumbs hurt aswell and I'm using my HTC to text. I was. REally thirsty but forgot to talking my water to the exam
Reply 528
jabed786
Wow that definitely sounds grade a standard. I tried following the breif plan you said about disorders before in a post. But I seriously ****** it up. Like I just said some studf about psychofenic amnesia and dissociative disorders. Then I didn't know if the matt ridley thing was alzheimers or amnesia so I left it out. And talked about berg and amnesia then I said what antergrsde and retrograde were but with no explanations lol so yeah my plan was crap. I just hope some peopel.did worse and the grades are attainable. This girlin my class only learnt theories of crime for forenics and it came up whereas I learnt aall of memroy. But th one didnt know came up. life isn't fair

Yeah my thumbs hurt aswell and I'm using my HTC to text. I was. REally thirsty but forgot to talking my water to the exam

Awwww, how much did you write???

And tbh it's not just what you write it's how you write it really isn't it?? :\ and for causes of schizophrenia it said mention both physiological and psycholigical but i hardly focused on the latter, meh!! I think my evaluation of pretty much EVERYTHING was too generic and rambly and repetitive :frown: and some was a bit contradictory like I said Jacobs argues that males with an extra Y chromosome are predisposed to criminal behaviour... But then when I was evaluating (hopefully the examiner will realise it's evaluation) I said that the explanation is reductionist or something.. when in fact it can't be because the genetic predisposition theory acknowledges environmental involvement :\

And I tihnk I accidentally called Wilson a socioconstructionist instead of sociobioligst in the egnetics essay fml. I actually found the 3 marker hard hahaha
Reply 529
I found the 3 marker hard aswell melon! lol
I cant exactly remember what I wrote but I probs got just the one mark.

The exam was tough imo. As I said before about the girl and me. It seems like a lot of the paper is down to luck. If free will or the bias essays came up I could have done better. And if any of the other memory essays came up I could have done better. Results day perhaps we can ressurect a PY4 result thread.

you are probably going to be a bit freaked out... but I had a dream last night and it was about this paper going seriously wrong and for some odd reason - dont even know how you look but yeah you were in it!!!
The invigilator left the room for about 2 minutes and me and you were sitting next to each other and I asked you why the questions were all wierd like some questions were worth 10 marks for a memory essay but 45 marks for a controversy essay and there was some maths involved. We were both freaked out. And you started to worry about your A* and I was stressed about needed this A (if I dont get it then I have to go to a crap uni)
I woke up then. And then went to sleep since it was 5am and had another version where it was just me and I started to get really stressed.
Reply 530
Oh and with messy handwirting my essay lengths were

4 sides for controv
7 sides for theory of crime
6 for my relationships
3 for my memory essay =/
Reply 531
jabed786
Oh and with messy handwirting my essay lengths were

4 sides for controv
7 sides for theory of crime
6 for my relationships
3 for my memory essay =/

Ohhh how big is your writing?!?! SEVEN SIDES for theories of crime?!?!?1 what did you write??? and what EXACTLY did you write for the genetics/environment :colondollar: i mean did you talk about each approach and how it is either genetics or environment??? and hwo did you evaluate except for the stress diathis model thing whatever it is :o:

jabed786
I found the 3 marker hard aswell melon! lol
I cant exactly remember what I wrote but I probs got just the one mark.

The exam was tough imo. As I said before about the girl and me. It seems like a lot of the paper is down to luck. If free will or the bias essays came up I could have done better. And if any of the other memory essays came up I could have done better. Results day perhaps we can ressurect a PY4 result thread.

you are probably going to be a bit freaked out... but I had a dream last night and it was about this paper going seriously wrong and for some odd reason - dont even know how you look but yeah you were in it!!!
The invigilator left the room for about 2 minutes and me and you were sitting next to each other and I asked you why the questions were all wierd like some questions were worth 10 marks for a memory essay but 45 marks for a controversy essay and there was some maths involved. We were both freaked out. And you started to worry about your A* and I was stressed about needed this A (if I dont get it then I have to go to a crap uni)
I woke up then. And then went to sleep since it was 5am and had another version where it was just me and I started to get really stressed.

I think it was the wording of it. What is 'genetic influence' wth ¬_¬ i wrote that it's basically when genes are the main influence on behaviour LOL! talk about stating the obvious :p: ahahahah.

And HAH worrying too much about the exam eh? could explain why you had the dream :biggrin: And I have mentioned a few times that I want an A* but tbh i don't think i'll get one :h: heard they're going to mark harshly this year and the bit of evaluation that i DID do was actualy vague :frown:
I think it was actually alriiiiiiiiiight. The controversy essay was good (so glad cultural bias didn't come up!). The disorders of memory panicked me, but then somehow I had a lot to write so..yay! Then I thought I'd do schizophrenia first as I knew it best...looked at the clock just after starting it, to see there were only 20 mins until half 3..to do 2 essays :O! So rushed the majority of that essay- missed out lots of details and then after starting the theories of crime essay realised the sociology exam finished at half 3, psychology at 4, so then spent 50 mins on theories of crime...hopefully its amazingness will make up for the rushed schizophrenia essay but who knows? :frown: I'm so silly.. :p:
/story :biggrin:
Reply 533
xstarxsparklex
I think it was actually alriiiiiiiiiight. The controversy essay was good (so glad cultural bias didn't come up!). The disorders of memory panicked me, but then somehow I had a lot to write so..yay! Then I thought I'd do schizophrenia first as I knew it best...looked at the clock just after starting it, to see there were only 20 mins until half 3..to do 2 essays :O! So rushed the majority of that essay- missed out lots of details and then after starting the theories of crime essay realised the sociology exam finished at half 3, psychology at 4, so then spent 50 mins on theories of crime...hopefully its amazingness will make up for the rushed schizophrenia essay but who knows? :frown: I'm so silly.. :p:
/story :biggrin:

There was a sociology exam at the same time???

What did you write for schizophrenia? I sort of forgot to do psychological causes only spent about half a page on them :frown: spent too long on physiological :\

Which controversy did you do?? and hahaha fifty minutes on theories of crime!!! lots of evaluation?
mel0n
There was a sociology exam at the same time???

What did you write for schizophrenia? I sort of forgot to do psychological causes only spent about half a page on them :frown: spent too long on physiological :\

Which controversy did you do?? and hahaha fifty minutes on theories of crime!!! lots of evaluation?

Nooo it was the day before. I kept getting confused between them! :p:

Schizophrenia (S), I started off with physiological explanation such as genetics-PPP3CC gene faulty (48% concordance rate MZ twins, 17% DZ) then went on to brain chemistry such as too much dopamine (supported by research linking cannabis use to S, as it binds to dopamine receptors yadayadayada)
Psychological- family dysfunction, such as children being placed in double bind situations (Bateson) causing confusion and self doubt.
Then finally, about links between social class and S. Lower classes more prone to S due to stressful situations. Black people concentrated in the working class, thus could this explain why they are 9x more likely to be labelled S.
Further evidence- Kety's adoption study to support genetic explanation and Linda Hart's personal experience to support the family dysfunction explanation.
Methodology- Physiological explanations claim the methodological high ground due to scientific research, etc. However, is reliability necessarily more important than validity, such as that Linda Hart's diary provides?
Usefulness- treatments.
Power & media - Psychiatrists push genetic explanations as they favour the biological model, prescribe drugs to vulnerable people, however do they simply deal with the members of society that society feels uncomfortable with?..blah blah blah..Films such as A beautiful mind provide hope to S, as Nash was able to have a job and go on to win the nobel prize, after recieving talking treatments and chemotherapy (supports psychological and physiological)
Bias- Cultural and publication bias.
Conclusion- bit of both. If it was entirely genetic the concordance rate of twins would be 100% so psychological factors obviously have an important part to play......think that's about it :p:

I did genetic v environmental factors (my favourite controversy :smile: )

And yeah...50 mins allowed me 8 pages of evaluation! rofl! If I was marking that one answer I'd give it 30 marks at least :cool: Alas, my schizophrenia essay suffered immensly but hey ho :p:

What was your favourite question?
Reply 535
mel0n
Ohhh how big is your writing?!?! SEVEN SIDES for theories of crime?!?!?1 what did you write??? and what EXACTLY did you write for the genetics/environment :colondollar: i mean did you talk about each approach and how it is either genetics or environment??? and hwo did you evaluate except for the stress diathis model thing whatever it is :o:

I think it was the wording of it. What is 'genetic influence' wth ¬_¬ i wrote that it's basically when genes are the main influence on behaviour LOL! talk about stating the obvious :p: ahahahah.

And HAH worrying too much about the exam eh? could explain why you had the dream :biggrin: And I have mentioned a few times that I want an A* but tbh i don't think i'll get one :h: heard they're going to mark harshly this year and the bit of evaluation that i DID do was actualy vague :frown:
I did the same thing where i said that genes influence behaviour.and made up some useless info that made no sense.

For the essay I wrote ...
How locke said tabula rasa and we learn from environment. Such as the flynn effect shows iq increasing. didn't say by how much since I forgit.
Then said about black people.getting fewer gcses so there mmay be a nature erfect. But then said of good role.model may effect behaviour. Then said most psychologists kno that its never anture or nurture. It's acombination but question is what contributes more. Then shields view of whether iq. is affexted by environment using twin studiwa. then kamin crtiticising his method. Then spoke about diathesus stress model showing an interaction view. Support is holland but I think I wrote hollind instead eeeek.
Then about plomins view of. Genes interacting wuth environment. And one sejtence about phenotype showinn actual behaviour and geneotype showing potetial.
Then said Hebb saying what contributes more to an area of arectangle. The width or length. And said ill let th examier decides lol.

Thats it. So I only did tiny bit about ao2. Mainly uses research and facts which is ao3. Hopefully got 17 in that essay.

For foresnics my writing was massive thats why i need 7 aides.
I wrote about bowlby maternal attatchment. Rutter developmet of it. Then without a atudy talked abiut aygression in men. Ainsworth saying doesn't explain why there is fraud which dsnt need aggression.
Then Crowe adoption study about inheriting crime gene. Then edlington boys commuting crime . Lack of role models so links to bandura aocial learning theorty.and thhen did farringtons study showing broken families lead to problems so environment is factor.
Only real.piece of.ao2 was the fact I saws it isn't due to one factor. these theories pose a threat to law since it assumes we freely choose to be criminals which may not be truue. Reduxtiionist to way one theory.
Reply 536
Sorry for the million typos.
Reply 537
xstarxsparklex
Nooo it was the day before. I kept getting confused between them! :p:

Schizophrenia (S), I started off with physiological explanation such as genetics-PPP3CC gene faulty (48% concordance rate MZ twins, 17% DZ) then went on to brain chemistry such as too much dopamine (supported by research linking cannabis use to S, as it binds to dopamine receptors yadayadayada)
Psychological- family dysfunction, such as children being placed in double bind situations (Bateson) causing confusion and self doubt.
Then finally, about links between social class and S. Lower classes more prone to S due to stressful situations. Black people concentrated in the working class, thus could this explain why they are 9x more likely to be labelled S.
Further evidence- Kety's adoption study to support genetic explanation and Linda Hart's personal experience to support the family dysfunction explanation.
Methodology- Physiological explanations claim the methodological high ground due to scientific research, etc. However, is reliability necessarily more important than validity, such as that Linda Hart's diary provides?
Usefulness- treatments.
Power & media - Psychiatrists push genetic explanations as they favour the biological model, prescribe drugs to vulnerable people, however do they simply deal with the members of society that society feels uncomfortable with?..blah blah blah..Films such as A beautiful mind provide hope to S, as Nash was able to have a job and go on to win the nobel prize, after recieving talking treatments and chemotherapy (supports psychological and physiological)
Bias- Cultural and publication bias.
Conclusion- bit of both. If it was entirely genetic the concordance rate of twins would be 100% so psychological factors obviously have an important part to play......think that's about it :p:

I did genetic v environmental factors (my favourite controversy :smile: )

And yeah...50 mins allowed me 8 pages of evaluation! rofl! If I was marking that one answer I'd give it 30 marks at least :cool: Alas, my schizophrenia essay suffered immensly but hey ho :p:

What was your favourite question?

Oh my God that is a heck of a lot for 10 minutes!! And what kind of evaluation did you have for theories of crimes?? what theories did you actually have?

wow sounds like you did awesome :biggrin:
Reply 538
jabed786
I did the same thing where i said that genes influence behaviour.and made up some useless info that made no sense.

For the essay I wrote ...
How locke said tabula rasa and we learn from environment. Such as the flynn effect shows iq increasing. didn't say by how much since I forgit.
Then said about black people.getting fewer gcses so there mmay be a nature erfect. But then said of good role.model may effect behaviour. Then said most psychologists kno that its never anture or nurture. It's acombination but question is what contributes more. Then shields view of whether iq. is affexted by environment using twin studiwa. then kamin crtiticising his method. Then spoke about diathesus stress model showing an interaction view. Support is holland but I think I wrote hollind instead eeeek.
Then about plomins view of. Genes interacting wuth environment. And one sejtence about phenotype showinn actual behaviour and geneotype showing potetial.
Then said Hebb saying what contributes more to an area of arectangle. The width or length. And said ill let th examier decides lol.

Thats it. So I only did tiny bit about ao2. Mainly uses research and facts which is ao3. Hopefully got 17 in that essay.

For foresnics my writing was massive thats why i need 7 aides.
I wrote about bowlby maternal attatchment. Rutter developmet of it. Then without a atudy talked abiut aygression in men. Ainsworth saying doesn't explain why there is fraud which dsnt need aggression.
Then Crowe adoption study about inheriting crime gene. Then edlington boys commuting crime . Lack of role models so links to bandura aocial learning theorty.and thhen did farringtons study showing broken families lead to problems so environment is factor.
Only real.piece of.ao2 was the fact I saws it isn't due to one factor. these theories pose a threat to law since it assumes we freely choose to be criminals which may not be truue. Reduxtiionist to way one theory.

Oh my gosh everyone's essays sound so good :frown: my evaluation was pooooooooooo.

Ohhhhhh I have that Hebb thing too :biggrin: 'Hebb states that asking the question about genetivs and environment si like asking whether a field is determined more by its width or length' but in some cases it's more one and in some more the other :biggrin:
mel0n
Oh my God that is a heck of a lot for 10 minutes!! And what kind of evaluation did you have for theories of crimes?? what theories did you actually have?

wow sounds like you did awesome :biggrin:

I know, but that's literally all I put. I didn't really expand on that at all :p:

Theories were biological, psychological and social.
Two supporting evidence- Crowe's adoption study to support bio and Bandura's social learning theory of aggression to support psych.
Methodology- Bio claim methodological highground due to scientific nature of research etc
Usefulness- Social theories most useful as if one knows which environmental factors lead to increased chances of criminality, one can change the environment (E.g parenting classes, increase employment, etc.) Link to Doncaster boys.
Media linked to crime via violent games, tv, etc. (supporting social theories) Explain a bit about correlations not necessetating causal links.
Then went on to talk about media's influence on public via selective news stories providing distorted views of crime...leads to labelling..which leads to self fulfilling prophecies (Yet more social support)
All theories deterministic saying crime is caused by bio, psych or social factors. This opposes our legal system which assumes one can choose whether or not to commit crime, so maybe that needs looking at..
Biased samples in supporting research mean theories only applicable to western societies unless cross cultural research is done.
Concluded with 'a bit of everything' and one must use this knowledge to create interventions to prevent criminal behaviour before it occurs. And then a little bit about treatments and punishments (I couldn't resist)

That but a bit more detailed. Probably waffly and repetative now I think about it but yeah.. :woo:
Which theories did you have?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending