The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Your gender isnt specified so im not sure if this would be relevant but I prescribed dianette (a contraceptive pill) for acne, and it worked perfectly for a while but unfortuantly its not a long term solution as it can have some negative side-effects after long term use. I found all of the creams/gels/topical solutions initially appear to work but my skin became immune to them after about 6 months of use. The most effective treatment ive ever had is roaccutane, you need to be referred to a dermatologist for this. However I would only consider this as a very last result as this treatment has some EXTREMLEY nasty side effects such as dry skin, eyes, lips, sore joints, depression, mood swings and raised blood pressure and cholestrole ?spelling. Also if your female (not sure if this applies) you have to have monthy pregnancy test as taking this treatment whilst pregnant can result in severe disabilites in a baby.
Reply 21
pappu
Well i have acne & some acne bad scars. I was wondering if i could combine the use an acne cream (quinoderm) and an acne scar oil (bio oil)

NOTE: By combining i mean applying the bio oil throughout the day and then take a shower wash it of and before i go to bed apply some quinoderm can this work? or is it not recommended

whatever you do DON'T use bio oil on your face
because it blocks the pores thus creating more acne also sun cream is bad because it also creates acne i was told this by a top skin doctor

a really good treatement is (clenziderm MD by obagi) it reduces acne scarring and prevents acne and spots (google it) its just a 3 step system i highly reccomend it quote of message me if you want a reply (good luck)
And also for the issue of scars a dermatologist can prescribe you laser treatment. I have never had this but I have been advised it can be painful and should not be done if you still have active acne as it can aggrivate it. Good luck though :smile: I know how having acne and scars can sometimes make you feel
Reply 23
laura_802
Your gender isnt specified so im not sure if this would be relevant but I prescribed dianette (a contraceptive pill) for acne, and it worked perfectly for a while but unfortuantly its not a long term solution as it can have some negative side-effects after long term use. I found all of the creams/gels/topical solutions initially appear to work but my skin became immune to them after about 6 months of use. The most effective treatment ive ever had is roaccutane, you need to be referred to a dermatologist for this. However I would only consider this as a very last result as this treatment has some EXTREMLEY nasty side effects such as dry skin, eyes, lips, sore joints, depression, mood swings and raised blood pressure and cholestrole ?spelling. Also if your female (not sure if this applies) you have to have monthy pregnancy test as taking this treatment whilst pregnant can result in severe disabilites in a baby.

just saw your comment when i'd just written another one try to get (clenziderm MD by obagi) its really good and works plus there are no real side effects x
Reply 24
aem1990
whatever you do DON'T use bio oil on your face
because it blocks the pores thus creating more acne also sun cream is bad because it also creates acne i was told this by a top skin doctor

a really good treatement is (clenziderm MD by obagi) it reduces acne scarring and prevents acne and spots (google it) its just a 3 step system i highly reccomend it quote of message me if you want a reply (good luck)

Cant really afford that, and yeah ive been hearing alot of controversy with bio oil. I paid like tenner for little bottle today -.- anyway just an update ive applied some quinoderm, its cheap and so far it seems good and i'm male & 16 years old to whoever asked
Reply 25
agreed with everyone else,don't touch bio oil! its more for stretch marks where the pores arnt sensitive etc.
but yea i used to have the mother of all acne!! if you're a girl ask ur GP to put you on dianette. ive been on it for 2 years and havnt had a spot since, and my scars are all gone cos my skin just naturally healed through looking after it properly! (i.e. exfoliating, cleansing, moisturise, no cheap make up etc)
ALSO theres a brand which beauticians/ skin people use called dermalogica - a lot of the celebs use it because its pure magic!! neg point is the price - hence why most people don't use it. it costs a bomb! but if ypu're willing to invest then thats what i would do..and have regular facials at a beauticians! gooood luck :smile: x
Reply 26
i just saw that you're male!! scrap the dianetter idea, you don't want to grow boobies :smile: x
Reply 27
pappu
Cant really afford that, and yeah ive been hearing alot of controversy with bio oil. I paid like tenner for little bottle today -.- anyway just an update ive applied some quinoderm, its cheap and so far it seems good and i'm male & 16 years old to whoever asked

ok well you know the green scrubbing pads that you can get in supermarkets get one and scrub your face with them twice a day as doing that removes layers of dead skin and eventually your skin will renew its self and scars will fade oh and don't use stuff like clearasil clean n clear etc that say they remove spots they don't! just use soap and scrub your face that will help use your acne cream night expecially as it has peroxide in it as this can react with sunlight making sore skin etc x
manDarinka
why? isnt it supposed to work magic as it says in an advert? it actually doesnt say what EXACTLY it is supposed to help with, which is a bit confusing. says more like " treatment for everything". :s-smilie:

I wouldn't put it on my face because it's an oil and it gives me more spots. It doesn't work for me, might work for others but it's a slow process.

My acne scars have faded a lot by themselves over the last 6 months or so. By the time I'd got rid of all of my acne I was so happy, I can deal with a little scarring.
Reply 29
Hmm ok..thanks so far guess I'll screw the bio oil even though I spent a tenner getting it
Reply 30
MoonwalkBaby
Ageed!

Sudocream, AKA baby bum cream, is brilliant. You won't get more spots from it, it's antibacterial, and it'll even out skin tone. Miracle cream, I swear by it :smile:

me toooo.:yep:
Reply 31
laura_802
And also for the issue of scars a dermatologist can prescribe you laser treatment. I have never had this but I have been advised it can be painful and should not be done if you still have active acne as it can aggrivate it. Good luck though :smile: I know how having acne and scars can sometimes make you feel

This.
Luckily I don't get acne anymore, but when I was younger I used to get random spots at the tops of my arms/chest area and the scars became keloids (which I didn't realise at the time). Just been to see my GP and they've prescribed me a steroid cream which is slowly smoothing the scars down, but I've also been told that a dermatologist can inject steroids straight into the scar which could be more effective.
Not too sure if that would be any good for acne scars on the face but making an appointment with a dermatologist could be an idea.
Reply 32
Well my chest has sorta blackhead sorta spots which have been there for a good year i haven't really tried any sorta cream there as when I did the spots sorta grew more.

Back is pretty much full of acne specially the top back /shoulder sorta area I haven't bothered there much as I'm not to fussed about it as I barely ever expose my back but still I have the most acne on my back.

Face. The scars aren't that bad but they just look like spots when there really not (when I run my finger or anything over it the surface is flat) and also I've tried drinking alot of water which has somewhat helped. On my left cheek(ish) I've sorta devleped very tiny tiny black pores.

I'll tough it out with quinoderm for my face only till thursday as that's when i have my appointment
Reply 33
Any more input?
Reply 34
Hmmm? Anything else
Reply 35
If they are flat red marks they are not scars. Quinoderm has benzoyl peroxide in it, while this may help with the acne it will make your skin dry and red. It is important to keep your skin moisturised as acne heals as your more likely to develop post inflammatory hyperpigmentation ( red marks ) if your skin is dry.
Reply 36
Get a Good moisturiser with Vitamin E in and apply it generously this will help with the scars, once it has sunk in a bit wipe of the excess so that it doesnt make your skin too oily, especially if you have oily skin anyways. Vitamin E helps protect and nourishes skin. i also take Vitamin E tablets as they help with skin and hair and i used to dye my hair alot, which meant it got damaged so i started taking the tablets to help with both. And ive noticed a big difference =]
Reply 37
Although topical vitamin E is commonly thought to help scars, some studies show that it does nothing for scars but can make them worse.
Reply 38
Well it hasnt mine, mine are nearly all gone but i guess it might work for different people, always worth a try =] Just dont smother it on or your'll get more spots.
Reply 39
Ok thanks and I noticed I get dry skin withe quniderm however I wanna use a mosituriser but don't want any other chemicals on my skin..I'll just get the vitamin e tablets to help with the skin

Latest