The Student Room Group

How to get a temp job/general fundraising?

Basically I am not taking a gap year, but hoping to do a little travelling august before starting uni in october. The problem is, as I am doing 4 subjects I am unable to get a job at the moment, and do not have any savings of any sort at all.

What I'd like to do is get a temp job - work 9-5 in an office or something for just over a month or so, but most of the agencies I've spoken to say they contract you to a minimum of 3 months.

Does anyone know of any good agencies/any ideas of making this happen?

I have catering and retail experience as well as office experience from doing internships with magazine companies - I am also a very able typer etc!

Any help would be very valuable, or any other suggestions for raising money that won't interfere with my studies!
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
If you're not traveling until August, would it not be more practical to get a part-time job spread over many months? You needn't do more than one shift a week, but overall would probably be able to save a similar amount, if not more.

Otherwise, have you tried agencies such as Office Angels or Reed?
Reply 3
For temp agencies go to Google and do a search of temp agencies in your area, I don't live in a massive town and I had 13 come up for me. Contact all of them and get on their books, say you are looking for temp work just to cover a month. I have never heard of temp agencies doing a minimum 3 month contract before, I've done lots of 1 week/2 week jobs through temp agencies. Pays pretty good and you should get it weekly.
Reply 4
cpj1987
If you're not traveling until August, would it not be more practical to get a part-time job spread over many months? You needn't do more than one shift a week, but overall would probably be able to save a similar amount, if not more.

Otherwise, have you tried agencies such as Office Angels or Reed?

I'm actually not allowed to get a job....so yeah.

Office Angels are the ones who said they needed 3 months, but I'll try Reed, cheers
Reply 5
NW86
For temp agencies go to Google and do a search of temp agencies in your area, I don't live in a massive town and I had 13 come up for me. Contact all of them and get on their books, say you are looking for temp work just to cover a month. I have never heard of temp agencies doing a minimum 3 month contract before, I've done lots of 1 week/2 week jobs through temp agencies. Pays pretty good and you should get it weekly.

This sounds perfect ... but it's all a bit overwhelming ... what search criteria should I use?
Alot of charities I've helped in the past usually take on volunteers, and if 1 particularly sticks with them and is reliable they end up giving them a casual contract..
Reply 7
kinetik
This sounds perfect ... but it's all a bit overwhelming ... what search criteria should I use?

Literally type into google "Temp agencies <town name>" google should come up with a list in your area. Some will focus more on manufacturing work (night *****/line picking) which it doesn't sound like you really want to do. But a lot will focus on office work, just get the numbers and give them a call. Explain you are looking for short term work, a week at a time, perhaps to cover illness. If you really don't mind just grafting for a few weeks see if you can get a data entry role. It's boring as hell but at least it pays and you don't have to think, I did it for a few weeks once, mind numbingly boring, but it's not a career :smile:
Reply 8
Some local newspapers' websites will list temp agencies... they will also likely list temporary position they are advertising on behalf of those agencies. I know at least 10 of my local agencies offer positions of a week or so, to cover holidays and things. You could try searching for 'recruitment agency' on yell.com, which will bring up less unhelpful stuff than google would.

Latest

Trending

Trending