Turn on thread page Beta

How to get a temp job/general fundraising? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically I am not taking a gap year, but hoping to do a little travelling august before starting uni in october. The problem is, as I am doing 4 subjects I am unable to get a job at the moment, and do not have any savings of any sort at all.

What I'd like to do is get a temp job - work 9-5 in an office or something for just over a month or so, but most of the agencies I've spoken to say they contract you to a minimum of 3 months.

Does anyone know of any good agencies/any ideas of making this happen?

I have catering and retail experience as well as office experience from doing internships with magazine companies - I am also a very able typer etc!

Any help would be very valuable, or any other suggestions for raising money that won't interfere with my studies!

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    If you're not traveling until August, would it not be more practical to get a part-time job spread over many months? You needn't do more than one shift a week, but overall would probably be able to save a similar amount, if not more.

Otherwise, have you tried agencies such as Office Angels or Reed?

ReputationRep:
    For temp agencies go to Google and do a search of temp agencies in your area, I don't live in a massive town and I had 13 come up for me. Contact all of them and get on their books, say you are looking for temp work just to cover a month. I have never heard of temp agencies doing a minimum 3 month contract before, I've done lots of 1 week/2 week jobs through temp agencies. Pays pretty good and you should get it weekly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    If you're not traveling until August, would it not be more practical to get a part-time job spread over many months? You needn't do more than one shift a week, but overall would probably be able to save a similar amount, if not more.

Otherwise, have you tried agencies such as Office Angels or Reed?
    I'm actually not allowed to get a job....so yeah.

Office Angels are the ones who said they needed 3 months, but I'll try Reed, cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW86)
    For temp agencies go to Google and do a search of temp agencies in your area, I don't live in a massive town and I had 13 come up for me. Contact all of them and get on their books, say you are looking for temp work just to cover a month. I have never heard of temp agencies doing a minimum 3 month contract before, I've done lots of 1 week/2 week jobs through temp agencies. Pays pretty good and you should get it weekly.
    This sounds perfect ... but it's all a bit overwhelming ... what search criteria should I use?

ReputationRep:
    Alot of charities I've helped in the past usually take on volunteers, and if 1 particularly sticks with them and is reliable they end up giving them a casual contract..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kinetik)
    This sounds perfect ... but it's all a bit overwhelming ... what search criteria should I use?
    Literally type into google "Temp agencies <town name>" google should come up with a list in your area. Some will focus more on manufacturing work (night *****/line picking) which it doesn't sound like you really want to do. But a lot will focus on office work, just get the numbers and give them a call. Explain you are looking for short term work, a week at a time, perhaps to cover illness. If you really don't mind just grafting for a few weeks see if you can get a data entry role. It's boring as hell but at least it pays and you don't have to think, I did it for a few weeks once, mind numbingly boring, but it's not a career

ReputationRep:
    Some local newspapers' websites will list temp agencies... they will also likely list temporary position they are advertising on behalf of those agencies. I know at least 10 of my local agencies offer positions of a week or so, to cover holidays and things. You could try searching for 'recruitment agency' on yell.com, which will bring up less unhelpful stuff than google would.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.