The Student Room Group

Jobs

how tf do I get a job as as student? I have a small employment history (mainly tutoring and volunteer work) and I've applied to like 30 jobs the past month. I've gotten 2 replies, then rejections because I couldn't move to the city before term time. My CV is fine, I have tried cover letters etc. etc. still nothing :/
Reply 1
Have you tried applying to local shops in person?
Original post by banzo4
how tf do I get a job as as student? I have a small employment history (mainly tutoring and volunteer work) and I've applied to like 30 jobs the past month. I've gotten 2 replies, then rejections because I couldn't move to the city before term time. My CV is fine, I have tried cover letters etc. etc. still nothing :/

Your CV isn't fine is the answer. A CV is a document that gets you to interview, and yours clearly isn't doing that. So there are two options, either you simply don't have the skills to do the jobs you are applying for, or you aren't writing them in an effective way that convinces employers. There's a 99% chance it's the second of those options, assuming you are applying for entry level jobs.

So make sure you tailor your CV to every job, of course use a covering letter, and give the employer clear evidence (not just claims) that you have the range of skills they will need in the job.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
Your CV isn't fine is the answer. A CV is a document that gets you to interview, and yours clearly isn't doing that. So there are two options, either you simply don't have the skills to do the jobs you are applying for, or you aren't writing them in an effective way that convinces employers. There's a 99% chance it's the second of those options, assuming you are applying for entry level jobs.

So make sure you tailor your CV to every job, of course use a covering letter, and give the employer clear evidence (not just claims) that you have the range of skills they will need in the job.

updated my CV and wrote new cover letters
Reply 4
Original post by scSyndrome
Have you tried applying to local shops in person?

I've kept an eye out, but can't seem to find any hiring in person
Original post by banzo4
updated my CV and wrote new cover letters

You need to write a CV and a cover letter, tailoring both of them, to each application you make. A coffee shop doesn't need the same skills as a bookshop or a supermarket. The jobs are going to the people who tailor their applications to make themselves seem the closest fit.
Reply 6
Original post by banzo4
I've kept an eye out, but can't seem to find any hiring in person

Definitely try pubs if you can, even if they aren't explicitly hiring. Also there should be a few Christmas jobs popping up soon. If you are decently fit and can carry up to 11kg you could check online the royal mail Christmas jobs.
Original post by banzo4

Look on websites such as indeed.com. Also look at companies own websites as some companies have their vacancies on the careers part of their website and require you to apply online. Also look in shop windows, local notice boards etc etc.
Quite a few companies are advertising for xmas temp jobs now, so they are worth a try. Yes they are only temp jobs, but its a job until you find something better and you never know you may get made permanent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending