The Student Room Group

Law student, arrested for being drunk and disorderly, issued with £80 penalty...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Green Jelly
Thanks for your post.

There is a chance of me being convicted though, if I do appeal, right? Are you suggesting I appeal? Or are you advising me to get a solicitor so I can ask them whether a fine is ever likely to come up?

Go to a solicitor; at least two. As I say, try pro bono first because you will pay hundreds for an appointment.

I'm not a solicitor but you cannot risk conviction; as I say, you will be screwed. I know you're worried but right now at least you have your health, you're doing a very respectable degree and you haven't got a conviction! So you're fine.
Green Jelly
Please could you explain their exact circumstances? Was it for D&D? Were they convicted? Or did they just get fined?

D&D during a pub crawl and was issued a fine just like you. Couldn't get a job anywhere (law related that is) and he looked for a good 2/3 years before just settling down for some ****** office job. So much for a top class degree
Reply 22
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
D&D during a pub crawl and was issued a fine just like you. Couldn't get a job anywhere (law related that is) and he looked for a good 2/3 years before just settling down for some ****** office job. So much for a top class degree

Sorry, but top class degree --- come on - he either had a 2:2 or lower or a conviction or both. I reckon there were a few things he wasn't telling you.
Reply 23

There are a lot of conflicting responses in this thread. Are you 100% sure that's true?
TerryTerry
Sorry, but top class degree --- come on - he either had a 2:2 or lower or a conviction or both. I reckon there were a few things he wasn't telling you.

nope 2:1 albeit a low 2:1 but he should have been able to secure a job at least
Green Jelly
There are a lot of conflicting responses in this thread. Are you 100% sure that's true?

yea family friend's son
Reply 26
yea family friend's son

And was he ever told that the reason he wasn't given a job was because of his D&D fine?
Green Jelly
And was he ever told that the reason he wasn't given a job was because of his D&D fine?

no but he was told he failed his CRB check which pretty much means the D&D fine. Guy never had any trouble with police previously, just that one stupid occasion which pretty much ruined his future.
Reply 28
There's been a lot of garbage written so far.

When you apply to do your LPC you need to become a student member of the SRA. As part of that application process you need to declare ANY criminal conviction, including cautions, reprimands, fines and warnings (even if they are spent).

http://www.sra.org.uk/enrol/

Those will be taken into account when deciding whether you are of the requisite character and suitability to become a member of the profession.

Generally, the SRA is more concerned with dishonesty offences than those such as D&D. However, you need to recognise that there is a risk you will not be granted student membership.

Whether this affects your decision to appeal your conviction is your call. From what you've said so far, I doubt you have sufficient grounds to appeal. I suggest you contact the SRA as soon as possible and seek their guidance as to whether a D&D conviction would hamper your application.
Reply 29
Green Jelly
Oh God I hope you are right, I didn't even WANT to go out that night, and I've been drunk about 3 times since July last year as I was making an effort to drink less (used it to 'escape' from depression) - but my housemates insisted and I didn't want to be a recluse so I went along and that is what bloody happened. If you knew about my life story you would agree I am probably one of the most unlucky people living in the developed world.

I felt sorry for you until I read that you say you are "one of the unluckiest people in the developed world".

:rolleyes:
Reply 30
chalks
There's been a lot of garbage written so far.

When you apply to do your LPC you need to become a student member of the SRA. As part of that application process you need to declare ANY criminal conviction, including cautions, reprimands, fines and warnings (even if they are spent).

http://www.sra.org.uk/enrol/

Those will be taken into account when deciding whether you are of the requisite character and suitability to become a member of the profession.

Generally, the SRA is more concerned with dishonesty offences than those such as D&D. However, you need to recognise that there is a risk you will not be granted student membership.

Whether this affects your decision to appeal your conviction is your call. From what you've said so far, I doubt you have sufficient grounds to appeal. I suggest you contact the SRA as soon as possible and seek their guidance as to whether a D&D conviction would hamper your application.

That's useful information chalks. She hasn't been convicted though and law firms only ask that. Then they interview/check references and offer a place. Do you know if they check the crb which would include fines, warnings etc. before the final decision?
Reply 31
TerryTerry
That's useful information chalks. She hasn't been convicted though and law firms only ask that. Then they interview/check references and offer a place. Do you know if they check the crb which would include fines, warnings etc. before the final decision?

Reply 32
TerryTerry

It depends on whether the SRA regard a fixed penalty notice as requiring disclosure. If they do, then the OP will need to inform them when applying for student membership for the purposes of the LPC. It is worth checking with them directly. Non-disclosure could be damaging.

As fixed pen notices are not convictions, then she probably doesn't need to disclose to future employers. However, I don't think it's clear cut.
Reply 33
Thanks chalks, I will ring the SRA tomorrow, and thanks TerryTerry for giving me a vestige of hope.
Reply 34
Green Jelly
The exact text of the Penalty Notice:

You (offence particulars)

"Were drunk and disorderly in a public place. Waving your arms around, pointing at security staff and swearing."

What actually happened was, I was ejected from a club for being slightly too drunk. The bouncer was being unreasonable and decided to retain my jacket for NO reason. It was freezing, so I asked her nicely for it. I was thrown out of the club alone and I didn't want to pay for a taxi alone, so needed my jacket to walk the 40 minute walk. She wouldn't give it to me. I walked to a nearby police car and asked them if she had a legal right to withhold it, but I can't remember what they said, all I remember is that they were being patronising, which annoyed me, and I remember saying 'Look, I am more intelligent than you, so whatever'. Then I walked back to the door and demanded my jacket back from her. She flipped and said 'You are a f***ing b!tch' and pushed me against the wall. This was unprovoked, but I have no witnesses. So I started pointing at her and calling her a b!tch back. Then the two police officers I said I was more intelligent than ran over and arrested me. I did not resist arrest. I was taken to the station. They demanded my details, I would not provide them because they would not give me an explanation as to why I was being arrested, other than saying it was for being 'drunk and disorderly'. So they threw me in a police cell, two women stripped me naked and forced me to wear a paper suit and I was kept in overnight. The next afternoon they issued me with a penalty notice, which I have still not paid. Do I stand a chance of appealing this? I still have until Monday next week before the 21 day period to pay it is over. I wanted to appeal at the beginning because I was utterly incensed by how I had been treated, but I didn't think I had a leg to stand on as I had no witnesses.

You sure showed them ey! Not so clever to behave yourself and to keep your mouth shut.

I'm quite glad they arrested you to be honest, ok you were a bit drink; that's fine. But going around giving it the big clever person to police officers? You were drunk, but you were disorderly - It's a fair cop, you should be punished accordingly.
Reply 35
Who2004uk
You sure showed them ey! Not so clever to behave yourself and to keep your mouth shut.

I'm quite glad they arrested you to be honest, ok you were a bit drink; that's fine. But going around giving it the big clever person to police officers? You were drunk, but you were disorderly - It's a fair cop, you should be punished accordingly.

Nowhere in this thread have I asked for any comment on the lawfulness of my actions.

Bottom line - you weren't there, so you don't know what you're talking about.
Reply 36
I've always wanted to get a speeding ticket on my bicycle just so it'd appear on these checks. :smile:
Honestly, what's the world coming to when you can be arrested and fined for "waving your arms and pointing" :s-smilie:.

What you were ACTUALLY arrested for, it sounds to me like, is being arrogant to a couple of police officers who decided to be ****s and get you back for it. They'll have been looking for any excuse.

I'm not saying all police officers are like this, many are very reasonable and you'd have to push them pretty hard to be arrested for anything short of actually physically attacking someone, but plenty are like that so really it's best not to risk pissing them off. They'll make it personal... because they can. Hideously corrupt as that is. I have a mate who joined up and only lasted two years because of the crap he was being made to go along with.

Anyway, yes, I'd talk to a solicitor and see if you can do anything. At the very least, questions will be asked, which might make the officers in question think twice before being outright dicks next time.
Reply 38
I've been told that if you refuse a standing penalty for d&d then they will very, very rarely take you to court over it and you get off the hook! Don't know if it's too late for that or whether it would actually work- not had the chance to try it out!
Girls don't get ejected from a club for being slightly too drunk, otherwise clubs would be empty by midnight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending