The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

saalih
they will never reach that stage and those who do will have nothing but to admit that there is a Creator...be patient

Nope they will find that there was not.

But don't worry by then religion will have adapted.

Also you do realise that no where does it say that God is personified.

The cause/mechanism found that initiated the universe, can still validly be referred to as "God". That does not mean that "it" knew what it was doing or had any choice in the matter.

I don't see why everyone is pent up on finding a personified personal god.

Actually, if a creator (personified) does exist, where do you think proof will be found?
No one assumes there is only life on Earth. It's already been discovered that there are frozen ice caps on Mars at the North and South poles, so naturally there must be micro-organisms present too. As for human-like life forms, I've no doubt there is definately another lifeform out there but the universe is huge, so it's entirely plausible that they are millions of light years away and they might not have created any machines capable of travelling at the speed of light.

Think about it, even if something is a thousand light years away, what's the chances they have a spaceship that travels at the speed of light? So that thousand light years could take millions of years to cover and what's to say they are self sustainable (i.e food/fuel assuming they have the same biological make up as us, which I'd highly doubt) during the duration of that trip? Zero to none. So I doubt we'll ever see the other life form in the Milky Way let alone from a different galaxy.
Reply 22
We are all simply aliens with forfarthers on other planets.
And religion is when aliens visited us people didn't understand it so thought they were gods.
saalih
they will never reach that stage and those who do will have nothing but to admit that there is a Creator...be patient

So if there absolutely must be a god, then what came before God? If it's possible that God came from nothing then surely there must be scope for other entities to come from "nothing". No?
saalih
pretty contradictory, where did the "living cell" come from then? out of nothing?

I suggest you start by reading this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_life
Dude Where's My Username
So if there absolutely must be a god, then what came before God? If it's possible that God came from nothing then surely there must be scope for other entities to come from "nothing". No?

Its a logical fallacy but it provides comfort, purpose and hope for the masses.

Why else do you think religions still exist?
Good bloke
I suggest you start by reading this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_life

Whats the point?

Its like Getting a random person in the street to read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_principle
Reply 27
I think plants are pretty alien.
Who's to say that we haven't already made contact with extraterrestrials in the past?

There are countless historical documents, pre-dating man's first foray into air-travel, which detail flying objects making unbelievable manouveres in the sky. It's perfectly logical that many mythological creatures were based on extraterrestrials: Angels, Demons, Goblins - even God.

Some South American tribes worship 'beings from the sky', who ressemble huamanoids, and landed using spherical discs.

A lot of it may be wishful thinking, but you never know if there is some truth in the stories.
Reply 29
Ultimately it looks like life is pretty likely to be endemic throughout the universe, hopefully within the next few decades we'll see this question answered in our own solar system, principly with reference to the moons of Jupiter and Saturn.

However, intellegent life, or even just complext life is a different matter entirely. One of the reasons why life has managed to evolve to the extent it has on earth is that we have a very large moon, which does a pretty good job of 'catching' the odd mass-extinction causing meteor (or asteroid, IIRC the difference is that an asteroid becomes a meteor once it hits something...) or comet. And of course Jupiter does an even better job of hoovering up these things on a more syste-wide basis...

So without a handy neighbourhood gas giant, or big moon, life would be unlikely to reach a complex level as it would keep getting trashed every couple of million , or even hundred thousand years and getting knocked back down to the microbial level once more...
vas876
Basically the simple answer is Yes.

So far we know this

Energy > Protons + Electron > Atoms > Hydrogen and Helium > Stars > Heavier Elements > Planets > 1st Cell > Life emerged > Life Evolved > "Human are at the end of one branch of the tree of life"

What came before the energy or before the big bang, physicists are still working on.

So be patient.

They're not, actually. At the point of the big bang, all the laws of physics break down. What happened before the big bang is somewhat irrelevant to us, as it can have no effect on our universe. This led scientists to question why they'd even bother, so they dropped it. :smile:
Theres a quote that goes ''Man can believe the impossible, but can never believe the improbable'' by Oscar Wilde, which I think has some truth to it.
Reply 32
Earth is not old enough with all the past catastrophic events etc to support human evolution we were simply put here by aliens.
Reply 33
saalih
a Creator is different than the created, a man manufacturing a mobile phone does not have the characteristics of a mobile phone in him....

we believe God is uncreated, because being created is unGodly....

but see how you make it sound so easy that carbon was behind a living cell!!! something that cannot do anything by itself was able to create such a complex thing!!! yet when i give the example of a mobile phone it becomes an impossibility!!

No a mobile phone could in theory form randomly, just like life. It's just that the prerequisites for a mobile phone forming are a lot less common than those of life.
Maybe they came before (Pyramids, Stonehenge etc.) but found us to backward then. The journey may be too much for them to repeatedly visit and check on our progress.
mikeyd85
They're not, actually. At the point of the big bang, all the laws of physics break down. What happened before the big bang is somewhat irrelevant to us, as it can have no effect on our universe. This led scientists to question why they'd even bother, so they dropped it. :smile:

Well yes and no.

The current research is at the sub atomic level.

So this either will prove the higgs field or SS

If SS is proved to be right, it has a whole different implication about what occurred at the BB.

So to some extent the current sub-atomic research will lead us to the answers of what came before, some way or another.
vas876
Well yes and no.

The current research is at the sub atomic level.

So this either will prove the higgs field or SS

If SS is proved to be right, it has a whole different implication about what occurred at the BB.

So to some extent the current sub-atomic research will lead us to the answers of what came before, some way or another.

Either way, it's all pretty exciting stuff! :yep:
saalih

This is such flawed logic it suprises me how many people still spout it.

So, basically, because science can't explain where life originally came from with 100% certainty (yet), it somehow proves that their is a creator?

Creationism just shifts the question one level along. Ok, so all life in the universe came from a creator. So instead of asking where all life came from, we now have to ask where this creator came from.

Of course, you'll probably churn out something about God always being, or not needing a creator himself, etc....which is pretty crazy when you just made such a fuss over life needing to come from something.
Reply 38
AshMcD
We don't know, and until science finds the answer I will be contented in not knowing.

Until there is empirical proof, I will not believe in anything. If there ever is empirical proof I will believe, even if that belief has to be in an almightly overlord.

thats dumb...
as if you were living 1000years ago, this means you would believe in false things, emperical proof is just indicative of the best that man knows at that point... and lets be honest you're not gonna believe if there's emperical formula, in this day and age people believe what those around them believe and what the tv and newpapers insist is true... either to make their own life easier or simpler...
dumb ideology upon which to base your beliefs
vas876
Whats the point?

Well he's got to start getting scientific information from someone other than Islamic clerics at some stage and an encyclopaedia article is as good a place to start as any until Billy Blue Hat's Book of Scienceis published.

Latest

Trending

Trending