The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 1
What are you thinking of doing after you finish your 3rd year?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Overmars
What are you thinking of doing after you finish your 3rd year?

Either a Masters in Economics or Trading.
Reply 3
real analysis was great fun.

but do you want a module in Lent Term or dont mind 2 in MT? what are your interests in maths, or do just want to do it because it "looks good" doing maths.
Reply 4
btw, wanting to be a trader and liking Keynes?
Reply 5
danny111
real analysis was great fun.

but do you want a module in Lent Term or dont mind 2 in MT? what are your interests in maths, or do just want to do it because it "looks good" doing maths.

I haven't done MA103, could I cope with Real Analysis without it?

Id like to take calculus because im interested in it and because it keeps my options open, not keen on linear algebra though (seen enough in EC221 already)

thanks
Reply 6
danny111
btw, wanting to be a trader and liking Keynes?

haha. keynes made alot of money from the stock market himself actually
Reply 7
Zürich
Either a Masters in Economics or Trading.

Masters in econ -- ma201, 203 or 301 sounds like a good idea.

Otherwise, FM320 sounds interesting and probably more useful for working in finance.

I'm just stating the obvious but it's probably true. I'd ask your academic adviser/personal tutor.
Reply 8
Zürich
I haven't done MA103, could I cope with Real Analysis without it?

Id like to take calculus because im interested in it and because it keeps my options open, not keen on linear algebra though (seen enough in EC221 already)

thanks

i know someone who did 203 without 103. so it is possible.

from my perspective, analysis at first was tough. i really worked for it in first year - but did very well. and actually once one gets the hang of it, i found it enjoyable maths.

come second year there is def an advantage of having seen the stuff before. because at the end of the day the principles are the same as in 103 - theres just more of it and more complex in 203 - but not necessarily more difficult - 40% or so get a first. it depends on whether you "get" how to do that kind of proofs.

so if you do do it, I suggest reading the relevant part of the MA103 course guide in the summer and downloading the homeworks and solutions of ma103
Reply 9
Zürich
haha. keynes made alot of money from the stock market himself actually

i didn know that. or i do remember now that you say it.

but i thought banking these days is all about the free market (at least thats what the ppl at goldman keep saying) and well keynes isnt really.
Reply 10
Overmars
Masters in econ -- ma201, 203 or 301 sounds like a good idea.

Otherwise, FM320 sounds interesting and probably more useful for working in finance.

I'm just stating the obvious but it's probably true. I'd ask your academic adviser/personal tutor.

ma301 that is?

because i was going to do it - game theory seems to be massive in econ, lol - but i find the stuff so stupid in ec202 atm. also its MT like chaos so dont know if i wanna do 2 in same term.
Reply 11
danny111
ma301 that is?

because i was going to do it - game theory seems to be massive in econ, lol - but i find the stuff so stupid in ec202 atm. also its MT like chaos so dont know if i wanna do 2 in same term.

haha
the notation in ec202 is a killer alright. still more interesting than cowell's stuff though.

Latest

Trending

Trending