The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

o-e-s-j
just a quick note. the man would be used to the corruption of the brazilian police. my cousin bribed his way out of a speeding ticket with 12 reais (about £3) its rediculous.

And as anyone who has actually read the smallest amount of background info on this topic will know he was well aware of the difference between British and Brazilian police. He would also have known not to run from police considering the shoot to kill policy in Brazil when suspects attempt to flee.
Reply 61
Pepaim
Exactly they say they gave him a warning. don't you think its odd they'd shout a warning at someone they feared was a suicide bomber? The whole point of the shoot to kill policy is to give the police an advantage when trying to stop a bomber. Thats why they go for the head shot so the bomber can not detonate their bomb, they shout and their advantage is lost.

Also, there have been many contradictory claims from witnesses, i have heard many people say they heard no warning.

Your guidelines from the police are for normal circumstances. If someone was armed with a gun and percieved to be a threat, the police would shoot at their head, not torso, they do double shots in quick succession, one at head and one at neck. They must identify themseves unless risks serious harm which in this case it would have.

My dad is up in London at the moment and says they would probably not have given a warning for the reasons I stated above.

They weren't certain that he was a suicide bomber until he ran. That's why they warned him.
Witnesses saying that they heard no warning implies that they heard no warning, not that there wasn't a warning. Witnesses saying that they heard a warning implies that there was a warning. So you have reports implying there was a warning, but not that there wasn't
Reply 62
o-e-s-j
just a quick note. the man would be used to the corruption of the brazilian police. my cousin bribed his way out of a speeding ticket with 12 reais (about £3) its rediculous.

They didn't shoot your counsin though did they? I very much doubt the dead man would feel better because Brazil's own police are corrupt. This case isn't reallyy caused by corruption anyway.
Reply 63
ayaan
You are so biased! How many English natives have murdered people? How many English natives perform violent acts? I've been harrassed by plenty of white Anglo-Saxon men, but I'm not predjudiced enough to believe this makes all white anglo-saxons 'animals'. You're entire attitude to other human beings is worrying.

I think all white Anglo Saxons in this country should be shot, since they account for most of the crime :rolleyes:
Reply 64
jamlan
They weren't certain that he was a suicide bomber until he ran. That's why they warned him.
Witnesses saying that they heard no warning implies that they heard no warning, not that there wasn't a warning. Witnesses saying that they heard a warning implies that there was a warning. So you have reports implying there was a warning, but not that there wasn't

But if they had the slightest suspicion he was a bomber it would still have been very danerous to warn him. I guess we'll have to wait for the inquiry to come out.
Reply 65
ayaan
You are so biased! How many English natives have murdered people? How many English natives perform violent acts? I've been harrassed by plenty of white Anglo-Saxon men, but I'm not predjudiced enough to believe this makes all white anglo-saxons 'animals'. You're entire attitude to other human beings is worrying.

Well said, it's disgraceful that people are saying this guy deserved what he got. Imagine their outrage if a Brit has been wrongly shot in Brazil.
Reply 66
The police have admitted it is policy NOT TO IDENTIFY THEMSELVES in such a situation. So no, he wasn't being unco-operative, he wasn't ignoring police instructions - they did not tell him they were police. Many witnesses have said there was nothing to identify them as such and no witness has been reported as hearing any warning.

You keep saying 'if he had been a bomber' - you could say the same thing about anyone! Should every person who tries to get on a Tube train be shot because they 'could' be a bomber? By your logic, they should.

Should everyone walk around naked now, then, so police can see they've not got a bomb on them?

The police had no good reason to suspect Mr Menezes of any terrorist activity. By your logic, every single bloody person is a legitimate suspect. Should everyone be shot?

If they thought he was a bomber, why did they let him get onto a bus? If they allowed him to be in a situation where he could have killed scores of people (if he had been a bomber), why did they suddenly decide he needed to be shot when he was in another situation where he could have detonated any bomb (that didn't actually exist)? If they're so concerned about safety, why did they let him onto a bus? Answer that one.

Even if they did think he was a bomber, when they had no reason to think so, there was no need for him to be shot - he was on the floor, totally restrained by police officers, and unable to move to detonate any device (which was non-existent). They didn't need to shoot him - he couldn't move to do anything anyway, and they could simply have Tasered him to make sure he couldn't do anything while they took him away.

This was cold-blooded murder. Commanda Dick, who authorised the murder, should be tried, as should the murdering policeman who killed a man he had no reason to suspect of anything.

With the kind of things that are being bandied about here, every single person is a suspect and every single person is in danger of being executed by police. If it can happen to one innocent man - Mr Menezes - it can happen to any of us. Ian Blair has even said it probably will.
Reply 67
Rasta
The police have admitted it is policy NOT TO IDENTIFY THEMSELVES in such a situation. So no, he wasn't being unco-operative, he wasn't ignoring police instructions - they did not tell him they were police. Many witnesses have said there was nothing to identify them as such and no witness has been reported as hearing any warning.

You keep saying 'if he had been a bomber' - you could say the same thing about anyone! Should every person who tries to get on a Tube train be shot because they 'could' be a bomber? By your logic, they should.

Should everyone walk around naked now, then, so police can see they've not got a bomb on them?

The police had no good reason to suspect Mr Menezes of any terrorist activity. By your logic, every single bloody person is a legitimate suspect. Should everyone be shot?

If they thought he was a bomber, why did they let him get onto a bus? If they allowed him to be in a situation where he could have killed scores of people (if he had been a bomber), why did they suddenly decide he needed to be shot when he was in another situation where he could have detonated any bomb (that didn't actually exist)? If they're so concerned about safety, why did they let him onto a bus? Answer that one.

Even if they did think he was a bomber, when they had no reason to think so, there was no need for him to be shot - he was on the floor, totally restrained by police officers, and unable to move to detonate any device (which was non-existent). They didn't need to shoot him - he couldn't move to do anything anyway, and they could simply have Tasered him to make sure he couldn't do anything while they took him away.

This was cold-blooded murder. Commanda Dick, who authorised the murder, should be tried, as should the murdering policeman who killed a man he had no reason to suspect of anything.

With the kind of things that are being bandied about here, every single person is a suspect and every single person is in danger of being executed by police. If it can happen to one innocent man - Mr Menezes - it can happen to any of us. Ian Blair has even said it probably will.

im pretty sure they wouldnt suspect me of being a bomber, and i would have a bet with you on that...
Reply 68
The simple fact remains that:

HE SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN IN OUR COUNTRY

therefore tough **** if he ended up getting shot. I would have more sympathy if it was someone else, but thats what happens when you try living in a country that you shouldnt be in.

What if MI6 sent a spy to russia, he tripped on a pavement and tried sueing them, you really reckon thats going to happen? Nope! Because they shouldnt have been there!
Reply 69
Racism has no place on this thread. You're obviously just trying to wind people up, so to save yourself from looking stupid, you may as well just stop now. Nobody's listening to your poisonous words.
Reply 70
melbourne
The simple fact remains that:

HE SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN IN OUR COUNTRY

therefore tough **** if he ended up getting shot. I would have more sympathy if it was someone else, but thats what happens when you try living in a country that you shouldnt be in.
We haven't actually had any evidence that that is so. We have had unsubstantiated claims about a stamp on his passport and that is all.

What if MI6 sent a spy to russia, he tripped on a pavement and tried sueing them, you really reckon thats going to happen? Nope! Because they shouldnt have been there!

What are you trying to say?
Reply 71
Rasta

Are you talking about me? I didn;t mean it to sound like I support what they did, i don't. I was merely trying to point out that they wouldn't have identified themselves as police.
Reply 72
melbourne
im pretty sure they wouldnt suspect me of being a bomber, and i would have a bet with you on that...

Give your name and address and say what you look like and we'll have a test. I'll insure your life and then ring the police: "Hello, antiterrorist department?... He pretends to be a fascist just to fit in. No, when you look closely you can see the plastic surgery that he thinks makes him look British. Don't take any chances. He's fanatucal and merciless."
Rasta
They had absolutely no reason to shoot Mr Menezes.

He was wearing a light denim jacket, not a heavy winter coat.

He didn't jump the barrier, he used a ticket.

The policemen were plain clothes so he would have just thought they were a group of men, possibly lads who were going to beat him up or mug him.

The police shouted NO WARNING. No witness has said they heard any kind of police warning and it is apparently police policy in these instances NOT TO IDENTIFY THEMSELVES.

This is just sick. Any one of us could walk out of our front door and be executed by the police. They don't even have to have a reason to shoot an innocent man, they just do it.

The officer who killed Mr Menezes has even been given a two-week holiday, to 'get over the stress.' He should be arrested, placed in custody and tried for murder.

And Ian Blair had the cheek to say, on the day of Mr Menezes' brutal murder, he was 'very pleased' with what his force were doing.

How do you know any of this? Nothing has been confirmed yet.
Reply 74
Pepaim
Are you talking about me? I didn;t mean it to sound like I support what they did, i don't. I was merely trying to point out that they wouldn't have identified themselves as police.

No, sorry! It was to melbourne and another person but I didn't want to quote the whole post! Sorry, that wasn't directed at you :redface:
melbourne
im one of those "idiots" who has to put up with them raping girls in your home town, carrying knives and guns and all other sorts of bad things!

Because British citizens never do anything like that...

no its just nasty foreign types isn't it.
Reply 76
Rasta
No, sorry! It was to melbourne and another person but I didn't want to quote the whole post! Sorry, that wasn't directed at you :redface:

Thats ok, i was just checking :smile:
Reply 77
thebucketwoman
Because British citizens never do anything like that...

no its just nasty foreign types isn't it.

We are talking about people who have had to kill everyday to survive. You really think they are going to stop when they come over here? You havent told me how you know whether we are letting in the victims (Mostly are all dead) or the soldiers who went around commiting mass genocide.
Reply 78
Weejimmie
We haven't actually had any evidence that that is so. We have had unsubstantiated claims about a stamp on his passport and that is all.

What are you trying to say?

Its the same as the burgular who sued the person whos house they were robbing because they fell through the roof and landed on a knife.

He shouldnt have been there, therefore he took his own risk and paid the consequences.

The home office has stated that his visa was 2 years old. That means he was here illegally. Therefore there are no excuses- he shouldnt have been here.
Reply 79
Rasta
Racism has no place on this thread. You're obviously just trying to wind people up, so to save yourself from looking stupid, you may as well just stop now. Nobody's listening to your poisonous words.

How is that racism?????? If it had been a black person with a UK passport it would have been bad. Im not saying because he wasnt white i dont care. Im saying he shouldnt have been in our country therefore he blatently ran from the police and therefore he got shot. No money should be paid out to his family as he wasnt legally allowed in this country.

Well obviously you are listening or you wouldnt reply.

Latest

Trending

Trending