Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How necessary is it to have an MSc to do a PhD? I'm doing a BSc in Biochemistry and I'm beginning to think about what to do afterwards. A PhD looks like a good idea (not sure exactly what in yet though) and im wondering if just having a BSc is enough to get in or if not having a masters will put me at a serious disadvantage.

EDIT: I'm not already on the BSc course. I'm starting this year assuming I get the grades.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers. I suppose if I get an upper second or a first in a BSc that will probably do.

ReputationRep:
    The hall senior on my floor (who has is PhD and is reading for Medicine now amongst other things) told me you don't need a MSc to do a PhD, but should do a MSc if you're not sure what you want to research in your PhD - or something like that. Make of that what you will.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it largely depends on what you want to do.

If you want to get into research, then it's pretty normal to go straight to PhD if you get the required grades.

If you want to get into clinical biochem then it's a bit more complex. It's best to get a job ASAP to get the all important HPC accreditation. Some go straight from BSc, some do a MSc to improve their chances, some go straight to PhD before trying for the job. Whatever level of education someone has, they all apply for the same post so it's a matter of pros & cons as to which way is the best.

But to be honest, you don't need to even be thinking about this til end of 2nd year/beginning of 3rd year. So don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Yeah it largely depends on what you want to do.

If you want to get into research, then it's pretty normal to go straight to PhD if you get the required grades.

If you want to get into clinical biochem then it's a bit more complex. It's best to get a job ASAP to get the all important HPC accreditation. Some go straight from BSc, some do a MSc to improve their chances, some go straight to PhD before trying for the job. Whatever level of education someone has, they all apply for the same post so it's a matter of pros & cons as to which way is the best.

But to be honest, you don't need to even be thinking about this til end of 2nd year/beginning of 3rd year. So don't worry.
    Well it's research im thinking of so my best bet is probably to really go for it and get a first or whatever they ask for. Cheers :-D

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.