The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Cheers. I suppose if I get an upper second or a first in a BSc that will probably do.
Reply 2
The hall senior on my floor (who has is PhD and is reading for Medicine now amongst other things) told me you don't need a MSc to do a PhD, but should do a MSc if you're not sure what you want to research in your PhD - or something like that. Make of that what you will.
Reply 3
Yeah it largely depends on what you want to do.

If you want to get into research, then it's pretty normal to go straight to PhD if you get the required grades.

If you want to get into clinical biochem then it's a bit more complex. It's best to get a job ASAP to get the all important HPC accreditation. Some go straight from BSc, some do a MSc to improve their chances, some go straight to PhD before trying for the job. Whatever level of education someone has, they all apply for the same post so it's a matter of pros & cons as to which way is the best.

But to be honest, you don't need to even be thinking about this til end of 2nd year/beginning of 3rd year. So don't worry.
Reply 4
Svenjamin
Yeah it largely depends on what you want to do.

If you want to get into research, then it's pretty normal to go straight to PhD if you get the required grades.

If you want to get into clinical biochem then it's a bit more complex. It's best to get a job ASAP to get the all important HPC accreditation. Some go straight from BSc, some do a MSc to improve their chances, some go straight to PhD before trying for the job. Whatever level of education someone has, they all apply for the same post so it's a matter of pros & cons as to which way is the best.

But to be honest, you don't need to even be thinking about this til end of 2nd year/beginning of 3rd year. So don't worry.

Well it's research im thinking of so my best bet is probably to really go for it and get a first or whatever they ask for. Cheers :-D

Latest

Trending

Trending