The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
SolInvincitus
Chinese/Indians work harder because we came here as immigrants, and therefore had no welfare system to support us. We brought our traditions of Scholarship and Achievement, much like the Jews, along with us.

Now americans hate the fact that we are doing better than they are. They invented affirmative action to keep asians out of colleges and jobs, and gave those positions to those who were white, hispanic or black. Have you seen King of the Hill? There is an episode where Connie, a hard-working asian girl, is rejected from Rice and is then told, just like I was by several American colleges, "we already have a boatload of smart asians, if you gave your profile to a white kid, he would be in here instantly." Her family breaks down, and in the end her father, Kahn, cries out "Why they do this to us? We come here poorer than anyone who calls themselves poor here. We work hard, we become wealthy. Then they tell us, you're all too smart, and f**k off."

It was a really sad episode, even though the series is generally humerous. I felt really bad. I made the descision from that point onwards that I would not give my money to a US university that treated me as a second class student. I don't think anyone knows how heavily discriminated against Asians are. Affirmative action goes against us, and we still keep quite. We work twice as hard as everyone else to get over that discrimination. We get a masters degree so that we can have the bachelor's degree job. Asians don't complain about discriminationm and instead work hard on getting to the top so we can prevent it from occuring.

:eek: I had no idea that such discrimination was still present in US colleges. It is vile, and a sign of ignorance, and it makes me sick to think of it. Does anyone know if that also happens in the UK?
Trier
Interesting.

However, it must be noted that the authorities are more selective in regards to Asian/Western Hemisphere immigration.

Not in the US. A vast majority of the immigrants to the US come from the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico (though technically they are not immigrants), Mexico, and Central America. The Chinese are next largest group, and the amount of immigrants from Europe is tiny.
Bismarck
Come to New York City. Immigrants (including Asians) are not discriminated agianst here as the entire city is made up of immigrants. :smile: I have heard that minorities are not treated too well in the south (my friend's Muslim father couldn't get into any med school in the south because he was not a white, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant). No reason to put up with those people.

You are right about affirmative action essentially discriminating against Asians, but I don't think it's intentional. Most people simply don't realize how successful Asians in the US are and assume that AA benefits them as much as it does Hispanics and blacks.

I have two Jewish friends who told me to do that. Perhaps you may know them?
Reply 123
SolInvincitus
Chinese/Indians work harder because we came here as immigrants, and therefore had no welfare system to support us. We brought our traditions of Scholarship and Achievement, much like the Jews, along with us.

Now americans hate the fact that we are doing better than they are. They invented affirmative action to keep asians out of colleges and jobs, and gave those positions to those who were white, hispanic or black. Have you seen King of the Hill? There is an episode where Connie, a hard-working asian girl, is rejected from Rice and is then told, just like I was by several American colleges, "we already have a boatload of smart asians, if you gave your profile to a white kid, he would be in here instantly." Her family breaks down, and in the end her father, Kahn, cries out "Why they do this to us? We come here poorer than anyone who calls themselves poor here. We work hard, we become wealthy. Then they tell us, you're all too smart, and f**k off."

It was a really sad episode, even though the series is generally humerous. I felt really bad. I made the descision from that point onwards that I would not give my money to a US university that treated me as a second class student. I don't think anyone knows how heavily discriminated against Asians are. Affirmative action goes against us, and we still keep quite. We work twice as hard as everyone else to get over that discrimination. We get a masters degree so that we can have the bachelor's degree job. Asians don't complain about discriminationm and instead work hard on getting to the top so we can prevent it from occuring.

So much for social mobility and then American Dream then. :rolleyes:

Such discrimination is disgusting.
Reply 124
Bismarck
Not in the US. A vast majority of the immigrants to the US come from the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico (though technically they are not immigrants), Mexico, and Central America. The Chinese are next largest group, and the amount of immigrants from Europe is tiny.

It is the US I'm talking about.

Although I was reading a 1985 report on immigration. :smile:

Immigrants from Asia/Western Europe are bound to be doing better if it is more selective.
Only recently Harvard, Berkeley, Stanford and Yale have started cutting back on the percentage of Asians that they let in. It looks like they are trying to drag it back down to 6%. My friends also told me to apply to Brandeis. They say that as a friend of all Yiddishkeit I will be well treated there!
Trier
It is the US I'm talking about.

Although I was reading a 1985 report on immigration. :smile:

Immigrants from Asia/Western Europe are bound to be doing better if it is more selective.

How is it selective? Most immigrants come here due to quotas (which don't take any factor other than nationality into account) and family reunification (which don't necessarily favor any economic group). Canada has a selective immigration system; we do not.
Reply 127
Can someone inform me if the discrimination SolInvicitus described is present in the UK?
Oh and hi.
Reply 128
Darth
Does anyone know if that also happens in the UK?

Not in such a blatant way, I don't believe.

Our problems are more along the lines of state/private discrimination.
Reply 129
Bismarck
How is it selective? Most immigrants come here due to quotas (which don't take any factor other than nationality into account) and family reunification (which don't necessarily favor any economic group). Canada has a selective immigration system; we do not.

It was selective until the 1965-1985 period when it was relaxed.

Hence my mentioning that I was reading an old report that is somewhat irrelevant. :smile:
Trier
It was selective until the 1965-1985 period when it was relaxed.

Hence my mentioning that I was reading an old report that is somewhat irrelevant. :smile:

Did I mention that I like pie? :wink:
Bismarck
Bostonians are weird though. I suggest you come to New York instead. We have NYU, Columbia, New School, as well as an excellent public university system. :smile:

There are only 2 million Jews in NYC, so I have my doubts. :p:

Their names are Jeremy Rosen, and Avi Rodin. I know Avi is Orthodox and goes to a yeshivah, and Jeremy was involved in the JCC
Reply 132
Bismarck
Did I mention that I like pie? :wink:

I'm still waiting for your offering. :smile:

But I think we've more or less wrapped up the debate- I'll leave you to your discussion with Sol.
Bismarck
The only orthodox Jew I know is a former chemistry professor, and there is a JCC in just about every neighborhood. Though I haven't been in one for something like 10 years. :eek:

That means you have missed out on ten years of Maccabee games!!! Oh no!!!:eek:
SolInvincitus
That means you have missed out on ten years of Maccabee games!!! Oh no!!!:eek:

Sad world we live in. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending