The Student Room Group

changed for the worse as a result of all this manifestation and tarot nonsense

So this past year has been really chaotic for me, lost loads of 'friends' horrible dating experiences, and ive been feeling very lonely and depressed. I got into tarot cards about 2 years ago at the start of uni, im 20 now and at first rarely used them, like once every two months however since the start of 2023 ive been using them almost every day and i cant stop, probably because this year has honestly been horrible. Its changing me to become someone who worries and obsesses over everything and every detail in my life. i keep telling myself that 'they are just cards- literally with pictures and colours on them and you cant use them to determine your life or a situation" however i think its become more of a comfort thing.

one of the things ive been obsessing over is my love life since ive been single for 3 years and cant find a nice guy like all my other friends. If im in a really bad mood ill ask tarot for some advice about my love life and if there is anything nice in store for me, and mostly ill get the hermit card, death card, 4 of cups ect. its self explanatory, they arent great cards and it sends me into this spiral of literally believing im going to die alone and im never going to get better. Sometimes i ask, will 2024 be better and it will come up with more depressing cards, making me spiral even more.

A while ago, i was talking to this guy for a week, never met up or called but ive been obsessively thinking about him ever since and it's driving me insane. He was an idiot and even said, i cant talk or see you now because im at Uni and not at home, but just try not to get a boyfriend in the meanwhile- excuse me?? im not waiting around for you. anyways i gave it a month and removed him on all socials as i know players like that never change. However, i think about him literally every day wondering, ooooh i wonder if i can manifest him back, and its really embarrasing and sad.

Another thing is this manifestation bs. i say bs, there is actually some truth in it, all it literally is is thinking positively and just trusting and believing that things will work out. however, i think this technique/ term whatever, has been completely twisted by instagram accounts, youtube tarot readers and the like and as ive already said, its making me obsessed with just wanting to control everything in my life that isnt going well. Before i discovered all this i would say i was defintiely a more relaxed person in terms of the future. which is funny because you would think that learning about manifestation techniques would make you feel more confident, not an overthinking, obsessive wreck like me. Ive deffo always been an anxious person but this year it has obviously spiralled and i think alot of it is due to over use of tarot and following too many manifestation accounts on insta and youtube.

Having said that, i have managed to cut tarot down to once a week at the moment, and limiting my consumption of tarot readings on youtube but i feel its replaced my ability to think clearly and rationally when i find myself catastrophising. As i say, before i would worry about things i would just put it out of my head but now when i worry the first thing i do is grab the tarot deck :s. i honestly dont know how i feel about tarot any more.

Id say one good thing is that i have become closer to god in general. it wont surprise you that i have always been a little spiritual, although my upbringing distorted my view on religion for quite a while. this year i have become closer to God and thats helped me.

I just dont know how to get back to the person i was before, before all this manifestation and obsessively writing things down that i want to happen and not feeling more confident but feeling more obsessed with it the more i try to 'manifest it'. unsuprisingly, nothing i tried to 'manifest' this year came true.

Anyone else experienced this?
The devout Christians that I know would be aghast and would say that Tarot cards are literally Satanic.
I would say that they are metaphorically Satanic. And that they have been leading you into a Hell on Earth.

Give your Tarot cards to your worst enemy. If you don't have one, chuck them in the bin or on the bonfire. Do the same with any Tarot books.

Do an audit of your life. To see what you should do to steer yourself towards a Heaven on Earth.
Audit what you eat and drink. Your physical activity levels. Your social life. Your social skills. Your application to your academic work (as long as you are handing your assignments in on time and passing your exams you're doing OK).
Audit your self improvement. As a side hobby, are you learning about how to become a better person? How to be more content, how to have better social skills, how to eat, drink and live in a more healthy way, how to earn more money.
Aim to make a habit of recognising and rejecting mysticism. And embracing logical, reasoned, independent thinking.

It sounds like you could do with a close friend (or set of friends) that would mentor you or act as a role model.

On the manifestation front, the way to looking at most areas in life is that it's a game of skill and chance. With there generally being more skill than Monopoly and more luck than chess. If you're playing life in a skill-full way you'll win more often than the average person, but you will still have setbacks through luck.

EG you being single for 3 years will be down to you not "playing" often enough, combined with a lack of "skill" or "ability" in this area, combined with you not having had a huge stroke of luck.
The death card in the major arcana is widely known to represent change, so it sounds like you're not even really very good at this tarot malarkey. So why you are drawing any inferences from it regarding your personal life, even if you believe in it, is a bit baffling.
Reply 3
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
The devout Christians that I know would be aghast and would say that Tarot cards are literally Satanic.
I would say that they are metaphorically Satanic. And that they have been leading you into a Hell on Earth.

Give your Tarot cards to your worst enemy. If you don't have one, chuck them in the bin or on the bonfire. Do the same with any Tarot books.

Do an audit of your life. To see what you should do to steer yourself towards a Heaven on Earth.
Audit what you eat and drink. Your physical activity levels. Your social life. Your social skills. Your application to your academic work (as long as you are handing your assignments in on time and passing your exams you're doing OK).
Audit your self improvement. As a side hobby, are you learning about how to become a better person? How to be more content, how to have better social skills, how to eat, drink and live in a more healthy way, how to earn more money.
Aim to make a habit of recognising and rejecting mysticism. And embracing logical, reasoned, independent thinking.

It sounds like you could do with a close friend (or set of friends) that would mentor you or act as a role model.

On the manifestation front, the way to looking at most areas in life is that it's a game of skill and chance. With there generally being more skill than Monopoly and more luck than chess. If you're playing life in a skill-full way you'll win more often than the average person, but you will still have setbacks through luck.

EG you being single for 3 years will be down to you not "playing" often enough, combined with a lack of "skill" or "ability" in this area, combined with you not having had a huge stroke of luck.

me being single isnt due to lack of trying its down to bad luck and only seeming to find guys who want to use me, its just literally bad luck
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
The death card in the major arcana is widely known to represent change, so it sounds like you're not even really very good at this tarot malarkey. So why you are drawing any inferences from it regarding your personal life, even if you believe in it, is a bit baffling.

i wouldnt interpret it like that tho, if it is to do with a specific situation it usually means the end, as does the 4 of swords, hermit also would not signify change but being alone still
Original post by Anonymous
i wouldnt interpret it like that tho, if it is to do with a specific situation it usually means the end, as does the 4 of swords, hermit also would not signify change but being alone still

The Hermit has nothing to do with being alone.

I think you're just projecting your personal issues on to a pack of cards and trying to claim an occult tradition supports that, when said occult tradition doesn't in fact.

Also maybe you'd have better luck with relationships if you stopped obsessing over tarot cards (especially when, demonstrably, you can't read them anyway).
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
The Hermit has nothing to do with being alone.

I think you're just projecting your personal issues on to a pack of cards and trying to claim an occult tradition supports that, when said occult tradition doesn't in fact.

Also maybe you'd have better luck with relationships if you stopped obsessing over tarot cards (especially when, demonstrably, you can't read them anyway).

"The HERMIT has nothing to do with being alone"
.... maybe its you who cant read them
"The HERMIT has nothing to do with being alone"
.... maybe its you who cant read them

Spoiler

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/43548/43548-h/43548-h.htm#I2

I mean if you're going to invest your personality in this at least you could like, literally read any book about it? I'm guessing you just watched a bunch of tiktoks about it, which were of course all completely made up on the basis of whatever because it's tiktok, decided you're a "witch" now, started doing tarot, then just projected your self-doubts and worries into that activity and then followed the confirmation bias and made up associations for something which is, despite being completely unscientific and just random chance, still pretty well defined in terms of what the meanings of the cards are.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 8
OP my mum told me that she did tarot when she was about 20 and it said she was going to have a miscarriage. Well she didn't and here I am. She chucked the cards away after that and never did it again. I think you need to make that choice too for the sake of your mental health. My advice would be to stop looking for relationships and work on being happy with yourself. When you're not happy within yourself it makes you vulnerable and you tend to attract the wrong people who want to take advantage of that.
(edited 5 months ago)
me being single isnt due to lack of trying its down to bad luck and only seeming to find guys who want to use me, its just literally bad luck

A checklist for you:

BMI below 24

Breaking the ice with and talking with more than 30 men per month that you didn't previously know that you are, or could be, attracted to.

Able to maintain a positive state when interacting with men you find attractive. As in: positive mood, not stuck in your head, but focusing on him, enthusiastic.

Able to set and maintain the frame when interacting with potential boyfriends.

Have a default position of self amusement in woman to man social situations.

Socially calibrated. Ability to behave appropriately and effectively depending on the person you are with and the context you are in.

If you've got the above 6 items really nailed down to expert / professional levels then indeed you being single is down to bad luck.

BTW, I would have to admit that I have scope for improvement in more than one of those items from that checklist. Which is why I put down the times in my life when I've been single as being down to my lack of skill and ability in the relevant areas and not down to luck. In the same way that I would never put me being unemployed down to luck. I'd always put it down to a lack of skill / ability / effort.

As for the using you. It's fine if someone is using you or you are using them. As long as it's a win-win and not a win-lose.
(edited 5 months ago)
A checklist for you:

BMI below 24

Breaking the ice with and talking with more than 30 men per month that you didn't previously know that you are, or could be, attracted to.

Able to maintain a positive state when interacting with men you find attractive. As in: positive mood, not stuck in your head, but focusing on him, enthusiastic.

Socially calibrated. Ability to behave appropriately and effectively depending on the person you are with and the context you are in.

If you've got the above 6 items really nailed down to expert / professional levels then indeed you being single is down to bad luck.

BTW, I would have to admit that I have scope for improvement in more than one of those items from that checklist. Which is why I put down the times in my life when I've been single as being down to my lack of skill and ability in the relevant areas and not down to luck. In the same way that I would never put me being unemployed down to luck. I'd always put it down to a lack of skill / ability / effort.

As for the using you. It's fine if someone is using you or you are using them. As long as it's a win-win and not a win-lose.

PRSOM
Reply 11
A checklist for you:

BMI below 24

do you understand how much 30 boys is a month? im in my 3rd year of uni yk....
Reply 12
A checklist for you:

BMI below 24

Being of a certain weight or look really doesn't change your chances of meeting someone as ive seen happy couples like that in real life. When you look good, and ive been told that plenty of times so i know i do- thats when men are only interested in sex
Reply 13
Original post by JackSan123
OP my mum told me that she did tarot when she was about 20 and it said she was going to have a miscarriage. Well she didn't and here I am. She chucked the cards away after that and never did it again. I think you need to make that choice too for the sake of your mental health. My advice would be to stop looking for relationships and work on being happy with yourself. When you're not happy within yourself it makes you vulnerable and you tend to attract the wrong people who want to take advantage of that.

thankyou for that, think i will do now tbh
Being of a certain weight or look really doesn't change your chances of meeting someone as ive seen happy couples like that in real life. When you look good, and ive been told that plenty of times so i know i do- thats when men are only interested in sex

There are a few men that are happy to be with overweight or obese women. However most men would prefer not to be. So yes, your weight for your height does significantly affect you chances of getting a boyfriend. And it's something that is totally within your control.

On top of that, your weight is a reflection of your eating, drinking and physical activity lifestyle. A poor lifestyle in this area tends to contribute towards making it more challenging to maintain a good "state". Due to inflammation, blood sugar spikes, reserves of stamina and strength, self image.

30 men per month is an average of 1 per day. There will be days when you are working on assignments when you will meet no-one. And in May your figure may well be 0, due to your cramming for finals. But if you go to a student party, on a Saturday in November, you'll be able to break the ice with and talk to 10 to 20 guys that you've not spoken with before. Aim to do that instead of staying at home, or going to the party and spending the whole evening with a clique of 4 or 5 people.

The difference between breaking the ice with 30 or more men per month and 5 or less per month is the difference between being proactive and inactive. How active you are, as a uni student is entirely down to you. It isn't down to luck.

Every time that you've given yourself a Tarot reading has been an opportunity wasted. You could have spent that time breaking the ice with and talking with one or more new people at your university campus.
Audit where else you could re-assign time. Watching a soap opera? Going on Tik Tok or Youtube and watching some time draining stuff. Etc.
Reply 15
If you got a normal pack of playing cards, or perhaps some nudie ones to make it more fun, and assigned some ill-conceived meaning to them and somehow made believe that they would foretell your days/relationships it might make more sense. Or at least life would be more fun with the nudie cards...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending