Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A box with a volume of 600cm^3 (5cm deep, 10cm length and 12cm width) has a inner cavity of volume 300cm^3. the thickness of the container walls and of the base is x cm.

(a) the box is 5cm deep write down, in terms of x, an expression for the depth of the inner cavity.

(b) Obtain, in terms of x, an expression for the volume of the inner cavity.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Dan

ReputationRep:
    Its not easy if you cant do it?

Write out all the things you know...transpose the formulae and see what you get in terms of the varibles.
    Plug them back in where required

ReputationRep:
    (a) is 5-x

but its (b) that is getting me!

(5-x)(10-x)(12-x) is what i think it is.

???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dantheram)
    (a) is 5-x

but its (b) that is getting me!

(5-x)(10-x)(12-x) is what i think it is.

???
    If I interpret your q correctly a quick sketch would show

(5-x)(10-2x)(12-2x) = 300

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    If I interpret your q correctly a quick sketch would show

(5-x)(10-2x)(12-2x) = 300
    where does the 2x come from?

ReputationRep:
    how do we know that the cavity has a length and width that are minus twice the depth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dantheram)
    how do we know that the cavity has a length and width that are minus twice the depth?
    Since you know the thickness of the wall is 'x', you have to subtract it twice to get the length and width of the inner cavity since the walls on BOTH sides of the inner cavity are x thick.

For example, and disregard the bad drawing, if that picture below was the box, the | would represent the outer walls of the box, and the ! would represent the boundary of the inner cavity.

| ! ! |
    | ! ! |

In that drawing, thickness of the walls (| - !) has to be subtracted twice because the walls on each side are (| - !) thick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pokerplayer1191)
    Since you know the thickness of the wall is 'x', you have to subtract it twice to get the length and width of the inner cavity since the walls on BOTH sides of the inner cavity are x thick.

For example, and disregard the bad drawing, if that picture below was the box, the | would represent the outer walls of the box, and the ! would represent the boundary of the inner cavity.

| ! ! |
    | ! ! |

In that drawing, thickness of the walls (| - !) has to be subtracted twice because the walls on each side are (| - !) thick.
    thank you,

dan

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.