The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

HaouLelouch
I hope c4 will be horrendously hard. I hope Edexcel will have enough backbone to add some STEP/AEA level questions in there to compensate for the lack, sorry i meant the non existence of hard questions in c3 while keeping the grade boundaries high. We can't have everyone running around with A*s.

This but keep it strictly step II and III, none of this "this is a fraction lol turn it into 2 fractions lol 6 marks"
Reply 761
HaouLelouch
I hope c4 will be horrendously hard. I hope Edexcel will have enough backbone to add some STEP/AEA level questions in there to compensate for the lack, sorry i meant the non existence of hard questions in c3 while keeping the grade boundaries high. We can't have everyone running around with A*s.

they can not add questions that are not on the specification. How easier or hard the paper is perceived to be is compensated by the fact the boundaries will change.

However, I would like either C3 or C4 to be on the hard side because it will then allow very able students to make non-conceptual errors and still get an A*
Reply 762
Roxalana
nope, i used remainder theorem, i divided the fraction obtained a remainder, did the answer of divison plus the remainder over the divisor

so bassically if you make my answer with a common denominator i get what u got.

I am sorry I just not sure what you mean; I am not sure you understand what the remainder theorem is.

if you divide the denomination into the numerator you get a quotient of 1 and a remainder of x^2 + 7x - 10.
Arsey
they can not add questions that are not on the specification. How easier or hard the paper is perceived to be is compensated by the fact the boundaries will change.

However, I would like either C3 or C4 to be on the hard side because it will then allow very able students to make non-conceptual errors and still get an A*

I don't see how replacing AEA with the A* system is a good idea. It's akin to replacing diamond with glass while trying to convince you that the glass worth just as much. If this 'dumbing down' of the education system continues we will eventually fall behind even the USA.
What do we lose for not putting the answers in the right format? I'm talking not making the co-ordinates "exact" and leaving in hours....
Reply 765
Arsey
I am sorry I just not sure what you mean; I am not sure you understand what the remainder theorem is.

if you divide the denomination into the numerator you get a quotient of 1 and a remainder of x^2 + 7x - 10.

2x^2 + 9x -5 divided by x^2 + 2x -15 = 2 with a remainder of 5x+25

according to the first chapter in c3 new book:

f (x) = 2 + 5x+25/ x^2 + 2x -15

5x + 25 = 5( x+5)

factorise x^2 + 2x -15 you will get (x +5) ( x-3)

cancel x+ 5

you get 5/ x-3 + 2

now, if you make this with same denominator i get ur answer which 2x-1/x-3
Reply 766
regarding 7d)

the closest I could find is in a past M1 paper. You had to find the time to the nearest minute in a similar manner

It was marked as follows

A1 t = 67/25 or 2.68

A1 time = 161 mins, or 2 hrs 41 mins, or 2.41 am, or 0241

(so it will not matter how the answer is given)
Reply 767
Roxalana
2x^2 + 9x -5 divided by x^2 + 2x -15 = 2 with a remainder of 5x+25

according to the first chapter in c3 new book:

f (x) = 2 + 5x+25/ x^2 + 2x -15

5x + 25 = 5( x+5)

factorise x^2 + 2x -15 you will get (x +5) ( x-3)

cancel x+ 5

you get 5/ x-3 + 2

now, if you make this with same denominator i get ur answer which 2x-1/x-3

ah, with you. This doesn't have anything to do with the quotient rule or the remainder theorem by the way.

Well technically, what you have done is correct and it doesn't say to express as a single fraction so I think you will get the marks.
Reply 768
Arsey
ah, with you. This doesn't have anything to do with the quotient rule or the remainder theorem by the way.

Well technically, what you have done is correct and it doesn't say to express as a single fraction so I think you will get the marks.

sorry, i was just over stressed, i got the graident with a wrong sign in the equation of normal i got - 1/18 so i started to panic when i saw the markscheme.
anyway thanks for checking.
Reply 769
i got question 2 wrong! :O i'm such a muppet! 7 marks that question was worth too! all because i was doing the quotient rule and then completely forgot to divide by v^2! how many marks will i lose :s-smilie: ??
Reply 770
By the way I was being lazy when I divided the fractions

I split the numerator up as (x^2 + 2x - 15)+(x^2 + 7x - 10) but of course it could be divided further.
Arsey
I would say you will lose a method and accuracy mark.

HI arsey, how many marks would i lose for not giving the y co-ordinates in q5d, simply forgot :rolleyes:

Also in 7d i gave the second answer as 6.72 instead of 6.71, I can only think it is some kind of rounding error through the question or i read my own answer wrong, would i lose any marks for that given that the unrounded answer before was right?

cheers, rep coming your way for all the help you offer on these forums :wink:
on the last part of 7d) i only got 1 answer is didnt know there were 2 answers. i wrote 126 minutes is that right or should i have wrote it as 2 hours and 6 minutes. how many marks would i lose for giving only 1 answer for 7d. and i also facked up on the 2f(1/2x) i put (3/2, -8) when it was (6,-8) and i knew it fack. im guessing id lose 1 mark for that because it was a 4 mark question so 1 mark for each correct coordinate. i think i got 72/75
Arsey deserves a bloody medal for their input on this thread...
Thanks for the ms.

On question 7c, I can't remember the answers I put but I think I may have got them right. I found dH/dt and set it equal to 0, found t and substituted that into the original equation to find H. Assuming I did the method properly, would it work?
Thanks Moa, appreciate it.
Reply 776
by any chance does anyone know where I can find the c4 grade boundaries for past exams?
been revising it - and am finding it p a i n f u l.
Thanks !
Reply 777
DDS
Solutions so you dont have to keep scrolling to find them

http://www.milanmehta.net/maths/c3/

and again
Loz17
Arsey deserves a bloody medal for their input on this thread...

not just this thread, every thread!
Reply 779
Allan-Moos
Thanks for the ms.

On question 7c, I can't remember the answers I put but I think I may have got them right. I found dH/dt and set it equal to 0, found t and substituted that into the original equation to find H. Assuming I did the method properly, would it work?

should do, daft method mind

Latest

Trending

Trending