The Student Room Group

Camping question...how many in a tent?

I'm going camping with some friends this summer, and I brought out the tent from the garage to give it a check over. Campsite rules are that no boys and girls share a tent ( :| , but fair enough), so us three boys are planning to share a tent.

When I bought the tent last year, I seem to remember it being a 2/3 man tent. The dimensions are Width 170cm x Length 200cm, and lying down in it I think there should be enough room for 3 lads to lie down facing opposite directions. However, I don't think there would be enough room for much luggage at all!

We'd only really have towels and clothes etc in our tent (everything else we'll just dump in the girls' huge tent :wink: ), and it's only for 3 nights. Do you think we'll survive? Has anyone any experience in sleeping in a tent not really meant for 3 people?
Reply 1
I've slept in a tent before that wasn't meant for 3 people, but we crammed in 5! It hurt lots, and all our luggage and stuff we left outside and made a cunning material roof-esque thingy to stop the rain getting it wet. That wasn't such a fantastic idea though as two of our bags got stolen...
Reply 2
youll fit 7 in no problem
Reply 3
Sleeping 3 people in a tent designed for 2 is hellish - believe me! You can't move in the night and all your wet clothers get in the way.

When you say 'there's enough room for three lads lying down', have you taken into account the size of three big sleeping bags?

It is possible to do, but it's horrible. If you can, borrow a tent from some of your other friends, or see if you can rent one from somewhere?
Reply 4
steerpike
I've slept in a tent before that wasn't meant for 3 people, but we crammed in 5! It hurt lots, and all our luggage and stuff we left outside and made a cunning material roof-esque thingy to stop the rain getting it wet. That wasn't such a fantastic idea though as two of our bags got stolen...

I was thinking about putting some of the bags in the little "porch" at the front of the tent, but water can easily get in beneath the outer lining.
Get a cheap single skin tent from somewhere like argos (http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3801&productId=162952&clickfrom=name ), or check out your local lidl, aldi, tesco etc etc for cheap tents - it's the end of the season so you should be able to get a decent tent for £20 or less...
Reply 6
just don't take gaffa tape, it gets too tempting and before you know it, nobody has eyebrows
Reply 7
If you get some black plastic bin bags you can shove your luggage in there and you can leave it outside.
You should be able to sleep 3 guys in there...it might be a bit cozy but if you get pissed enough you'll fall asleep and it wont matter.
Or if you absolutely have to unpack all of your clothes/towels from your bags and lay them flat on the floor under your sleeping mats/bags...and shove toilet bags down the bottom of your sleeping bags
Reply 9
That wont work - if its summer and you intend to breathe inside the tent it will condense and soak all your clothes
bikerx23
That wont work - if its summer and you intend to breathe inside the tent it will condense and soak all your clothes

Stick em flat in bin bags

even in summer the extra layer of insulation from the ground is worth having...specially if you've only got cheap sleeping mats
Reply 11
We slept 4 in a 2/3 man, with kit for Duke of Edinburgh Silver. Then the girls' tent got flooded, and we ended up with 7. Not the best night's sleep I've had. :s:
Reply 12
Raindance
We slept 4 in a 2/3 man, with kit for Duke of Edinburgh Silver. Then the girls' tent got flooded, and we ended up with 7. Not the best night's sleep I've had. :s:

there you go.
Reply 13
you'll be fine, you'll be cosy. but fine

*proud witness of "10 in a tent" one drunken night in our local forest*
Reply 14
kikzen
there you go.

It can be done. The answer is to get so pissed you don't care, or pray for good weather.
or just break the camp rules! not like they will make you open the tent up or anything is it!
Reply 16
Ah well, cosy it is then :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending