The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
theECONOMIST
Thank you for clearing that up for them. My mother once lectured at nottingham so I feel ibliged to jump to their defence when you made it sound as if their graduates were inferior to that of warwick and bristol. In my opinion oxbridge lse ucl and imperial (a maths degree from there will work wonders) are surely top. But hey a first from the likes of notts warick and bristol will work almost just as well.
I advised these guys, who have a knack for numbers like i do to go for trading. 60hr work weeks and a salary that may exceed that of a bankers.

Oh yes, for those of you looking to become tomorrow's CEO's look into management consulting as the learning curve is incredibly steep and you gain great skills. what do management consultants do here's your answer check thi site http://www.vault.com/. It is probably the only career in the city that offers salaries to new graduate at the same level as investment banks. It involves a lot of travel and the hours can range from 60hrs to 80+ when something big is going down.

so whats the main differences between trading and banking? I feel I am more numerical, infact LSE is one of only 2 places where i didnt apply for just maths (maths and eco, as they dont offer maths obv)
Reply 101
Thanks lyd. It is indeed silly to write off your chances of ever getting a good job just because you are not an oxbridge grad. A lot of Oxbridge grads (and the same goes for a lot of graduates) are lazy and complacent and resting on their laurels-something that recruiters can sense.

Case in point, one selection centre I went to, there were two really cocky arrogant Cambridge students who from talking to them, you felt that they thought they had the job already. Guess who didn't get the job?

To sum up my views:
If you want money and are willing to pay the price, investment banking, merchant banking, stockbroking or consulting are the jobs for you.
Provided you go to a decent university and get a 2.1 or above you have every chance of getting in. Your chances increase in proportion to the amount of research of the company and profession you do, the effort you put into your application forms, and the more enthusiastic and interested you seem in the career. Apply for an internship and apply to as many companies as possible.

Good luck everyone!
Saxman
Thanks lyd. It is indeed silly to write off your chances of ever getting a good job just because you are not an oxbridge grad. A lot of Oxbridge grads (and the same goes for a lot of graduates) are lazy and complacent and resting on their laurels-something that recruiters can sense.

Case in point, one selection centre I went to, there were two really cocky arrogant Cambridge students who from talking to them, you felt that they thought they had the job already. Guess who didn't get the job?

To sum up my views:
If you want money and are willing to pay the price, investment banking, merchant banking, stockbroking or consulting are the jobs for you.
Provided you go to a decent university and get a 2.1 or above you have every chance of getting in. Your chances increase in proportion to the amount of research of the company and profession you do, the effort you put into your application forms, and the more enthusiastic and interested you seem in the career. Apply for an internship and apply to as many companies as possible.

Good luck everyone!

Really? you are saying even people like me ( far east asian student)
can get in ? I am sure there are "hidden?" racism at any place in UK.

By the way I am allowed to work and live in UK permenantly.
Reply 103
hey illuminati,

there will inevitably be some racism even in the biggest companies. But these big banks are international, they'd be stupid not to recruit people with the language skills and cultural knowledge that they need. Many people working in these organisations are actually very cosmopolitan and not at all racist. Obviously, a purely domestic company with no international network will not be as good a place to work in for a foreigner.

seriously, you need not worry, esp if you can work here without a visa. i mean, my family and I are from the Far East too: my bro is now a trader; and I have a training contract at a law firm which has offices in the far east, so my language skills and "international background" were considered a selling point.
Reply 104
theECONOMIST
Look i didn't say you need to go to oxbridge to work at a top investment bank, i said it REALLY helps. Look firms like goldman sachs do presentations at oxbridge and lse (and a FEW other places).
A few years ago Morgan Stanley Dean Witter recruited half, yes half of its total grduate intake from oxbridge, then you can imagine many were from lse and continental europe i.e.bocconi in italy.
Derivatives traders (or equity traders even) make loads IF THEY'RE GOOD.
When their market is the hot market then top performers will earn 7 figure salaries (you can quote me on this).
have you not been using my links?
Maybe you go to a low class university and can't accept that you're chances in investment banking are non-existent.
Try operations (back office work), they'll recruit you from there. Its well paid but not nearly as well as front office.

Dammit go to the goldman website, or jpmorgan or even citygroup, you'll see that im right.

Actually, no. I've been accepted to 5 out of 6 of the universities I've applied to in the UK, (kings college, surrey, bristol, nottingham and umist) and im still waiting for lse. i believe these are pretty good unis. Furthermore I have at the age of 19 taken 2 internships at HSBC for credit risk management and information technology. And if it has any relevance my father is a CEO of a bank and have talked to him about future careers in the financial sector extensively

i have been pretty sarcastic in my posts, but i still believe being an oxbridge graduate doesn't automatically cause you to skyrocket up the list of applicants on an interview list for ANY company, whether it be investments or cleaning shit of toilet floors. alot of the things you have mentioned at best case scenarios and not really applicable to all graduate, even from almighty oxbridge.
Reply 105
illumanti, I would not worry about racism. While looking at the composition of banks you may get that impression, it is mostly due to the fact that not enough people from ethnic minorities apply to investment banks. It is done on merit, as they are looking for hardworking people who are very intelligent and motivated and can handle the pressure: traits which are by no means culture specific.
Saxman

To sum up my views:

Good luck everyone!

If you want respect, don't be a stockbroker. It will be a waste of a degree as you don't even need one to become a broker, however many firms nowadays require you to have one.
Personally i wouldn't like to come into work every weekday and sit their makind cold calls to random people trying to get them to buy stocks that i wouldn't even offer to my worst enemy.
No, i didn't get that from boiler room but its standard practice. Brokers aim to achieve the highest commissions and theres no better way than to mislead people.
However if stick it out long enough you will have money. If you ask me, a broker is just a glorified salesman.
There are pros and cons of working in any industry in the city. So close your eyes and hope you made the best decision for yourself.
I ve got a massive problem..

people living in my country needs to do their national service(only men)
In my case I am delaying it cos im in foreign country( England) attending full time education. If I get the permenant residency ( to work and live in UK without restriction) in 2 years I can drop the service.

If I drop it I wont be allowed to work or live in my motherland until the age 34. well.. I can live, but not more than 6 months

Not sure If I want to go..

Not sure when to go..

Is it best to go before going to Uni.?

Will the employers prefer a mentally disciplined person.
Thinking of joining the Marines ( "CLOSE TO" SAS equivilent training)

I might post this on main Thread.

ANYWAY WOULD INVESTMENT BANKERS TAKE PEOPLE LIKE ME??
I WOULD GRADUATE BY 25. HOO.. QUITE LATE.. ISNT IT ?
Reply 108
what is your country?
Tina
what is your country?

I wasnt going to tell... but what the hell...

S.korea
I did work eperience in Rothschild and Sons investment bank and i was told they only recruit Oxbridge graduates...i really enjoyed my time there and i thought it wld be the last time i wld be seeing that bank from the inside but now I have a place at Cambridge to study Economics, so alls gd!
Basically this was to confirm The Economists point that top banks only take the best students!
Sxxx

TIS TRUE EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!
Reply 111
rothschild are notoriously conservative and insular. no graduate in their right mind would prefer to work for them over the bigger and more progressive i-banks, and it is the latter who do recruit from all the top unis as well as outstanding students from the less established unis.

SO TIS NOT TRUE EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!
angelzland
I did work eperience in Rothschild and Sons investment bank and i was told they only recruit Oxbridge graduates...i really enjoyed my time there and i thought it wld be the last time i wld be seeing that bank from the inside but now I have a place at Cambridge to study Economics, so alls gd!
Basically this was to confirm The Economists point that top banks only take the best students!
Sxxx

TIS TRUE EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!

how about this....

go to reasonably good uni. end of first year send a letter to
top US unis with exam results and go there like MIT, Harvad,Princeton...

isnt that a good idea ?

I bet Harvard is much better than Oxbridge. Although quite expensive.
this way I am sure it is easier to get scholarship. If the first year exam result is good enough.
illumintai
how about this....

go to reasonably good uni. end of first year send a letter to
top US unis with exam results and go there like MIT, Harvad,Princeton...

isnt that a good idea ?

I bet Harvard is much better than Oxbridge. Although quite expensive.
this way I am sure it is easier to get scholarship. If the first year exam result is good enough.

I'm not sure employers like you changing universities, unless their is a good reason for it. it tells them you lack commitment (big thing in banking) and you may jump ship whenever you want.
Reply 114
theECONOMIST
I'm not sure employers like you changing universities, unless their is a good reason for it. it tells them you lack commitment (big thing in banking) and you may jump ship whenever you want.

how does going to a big university from a small one show lack of commitment....if it shows anythign....it shows ambition....however.....it is not easy to transfer to big universities even if you have a high GPA...
Reply 115
I am goin to mcgill in Montreal.....its knowns as the Harvard of Canada...and a friend of mine (G) told me its better than oxford and cambridge.........after u have a degree from mcgill u get paid over 150,000 dollers a yr...
mb85
I am goin to mcgill in Montreal.....its knowns as the Harvard of Canada...and a friend of mine (G) told me its better than oxford and cambridge.........after u have a degree from mcgill u get paid over 150,000 dollers a yr...

Thank you.

Thing is I am an international student. and I have to pay a lot for unis
in UK.

If I have a good exam results in my first year. Unis in US might willing to pay my tuition fee. Would that work ???
Reply 117
illumintai
Thank you.

Thing is I am an international student. and I have to pay a lot for unis
in UK.

If I have a good exam results in my first year. Unis in US might willing to pay my tuition fee. Would that work ???

if u get a GPA over 3.5 u get into the 'dean's list', this enables u to apply for scholarships n grants where the unis pay some of your tuition fee.......i think.....GPA is outta 4.....so 3.5 outta 4 is probably compareable to a 2.1 degree for the UK
Reply 118
How can rothschild warrant only accepting oxbridge graduates? Correct me if im wrong, but arent there a few IBs that are better than rothschild - goldmann, merrill , JP to name a few?
mb85

HAHAHA!!!mcgill, funny i've never heard of the damn place (what a name!!).
Anywhere in the world you go, people will have heard of oxford and cambridge, but i doubt many would have hear of the so called 'mcbrill'.
150000 USD, yeah sure maybe as a drug dealer.

There's no way its better than oxbridge, so you just run along and go to mcgill.

Latest

Trending

Trending