The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

shame ... R.I.P Best
Reply 3401
It's difficult to express the sadness that this country is feeling right now. George was one of the few things that Northern Ireland had produced that everyone recognised as being special. He was the pride of so many, and the awe in which he is held will last forever. Of course it's sad to think about how great he could have been, but I think that's part of his legend. He was a 'tragic hero' in the Sophocles mould, a great hero with a tragic flaw.

RIP the Best, the legend will never die
Reply 3402
Urrgh, this has made me very sad, and I just remembered that its 3 years today since my dad died
Reply 3403
I think it's such a shame that people are so harsh on someone's illness, would people be mocking a dying cancer sufferer who used to smoke? I think not.... :rolleyes:
I'll miss seeing Georgie down at fratton park :frown:
Reply 3405
Onearmedbandit
I'll miss seeing Georgie down at fratton park :frown:

Aww yeah, Milan looked really gutted on the TV yesterday :redface:
Reply 3406
I feel kind of sad for him but it was his life off the pitch as well as on it that made him the legend he was. Its ironic that he died the day after the 24 hour drinking law came in.
Kate85
Aww yeah, Milan looked really gutted on the TV yesterday :redface:
Hey I sent you a PM but you never responded >.<
Reply 3408
:frown: R.I.P George Best, I feel really sad now, he was truly a legend!
I'm sure there'll be silences throughout the country. Despite the fact that some people are (justifiably) saying it's his own fault, it's still tragic that he has passed away!
They can talk to him all they like but it doesn't mean he will be going.

Gem
Reply 3411
I think they should have 1 minute applauses for him to celebrate his life and not be sad about his death. How do you mess up an applause? stay silent?
heres mine
It's sooo sad. I really admired him as a footballer :frown:
opiache
Has anyone on this forum criticising George Best actually been through alcoholism? I don't think it's as easy as 'just quitting drinking'.
Yes, he messed up. But he was a good man, and a great player. A bit of respect for him?

RIP.

There is no denying he was a great footballer because he was. I am one of the lucky ones who has not had experience of alcoholism or smoking for that matter and yes it must be extremily difficult to give up.The thing that gets me is that soemone gave him a new live (the chance of a new life) and he just abused it. (just my opinion)
Reply 3415
R.I.P george....my dad will still neva get tired of telling me about the first time he went to see u... :smile:
Reply 3416
networkingNut
There is no denying he was a great footballer because he was. I am one of the lucky ones who has not had experience of alcoholism or smoking for that matter and yes it must be extremily difficult to give up.The thing that gets me is that soemone gave him a new live (the chance of a new life) and he just abused it. (just my opinion)

I've neither encountered alcoholism or smoking in my life, but that only serves to strengthen my pity for sufferers. The other thing is that it could be argued that he couldn't make the most of the opportunity he was given, rather than abusing it.
Reply 3417
Spud
I've neither encountered alcoholism or smoking in my life, but that only serves to strengthen my pity for sufferers. The other thing is that it could be argued that he couldn't make the most of the opportunity he was given, rather than abusing it.

To a big extent I agree with what you have been saying, but I think it can be said that he did not do enough to help himself. If I had received a second kidney, I would lock myself up - no interviews or anything - until confident of controlling the habit. He tried to kick the habit but couldn't hack it, and went back on the bottle big style (not only in private but in obvious London pubs/clubs).

He was perfect and weak. Judging him barely hours after his death is hardly compassionate or wise, however.
Wes Brown models the new Man United Kit! :biggrin:

ManUshirt

Gem
LMAO :toofunny: the likeness is scary!

Latest