The Student Room Group

aeronautical engineering and a job in aviaition

Hi, i orginally posted this in the engineering sub-forum but would still like some more opinions to my questions.

Currently what do you think the job prospects are like? With the aviation industry in a bit of decline at the moment (what with 9/11 and various other subsequent incidences), how competatitive do you think it is at the moment? Also if you go to a good uni (e.g Bath, Bristol, Imperial) and get a reasonable degree do you think you are set for a job post graduation with one of the major employers- Rolls royce, airbus, Biritsh airways.
Reply 1
Not sure if you are goin to uni so i dont no what it will be like in 4 yrs time. However, im 4th yr this yr and the job market isnt looking too bad. For Engineering jobs like the ones you have mentioned it seems that you would still have to do pretty well in your degree and be a good all round person to get a top job at say Rolls Royce on their grad scheme. The competition is fairly high and its by no means a walk in the park. Having said that, a good uni like the ones you mentioned should get you through the door at least if you are on a 2.1, so it comes down to yourself to get the job and how you show the skills you have are better than the next persons'. I no that at this moment in time their doesnt seem to be a shortage of jobs anyway. i think aero engineers will always have a good engineering job prospect. the world will always need engineers, its fast running out of good them cos people keep doing finance.
surfwithjon
Not sure if you are goin to uni so i dont no what it will be like in 4 yrs time. However, im 4th yr this yr and the job market isnt looking too bad. For Engineering jobs like the ones you have mentioned it seems that you would still have to do pretty well in your degree and be a good all round person to get a top job at say Rolls Royce on their grad scheme. The competition is fairly high and its by no means a walk in the park. Having said that, a good uni like the ones you mentioned should get you through the door at least if you are on a 2.1, so it comes down to yourself to get the job and how you show the skills you have are better than the next persons'. I no that at this moment in time their doesnt seem to be a shortage of jobs anyway. i think aero engineers will always have a good engineering job prospect. the world will always need engineers, its fast running out of good them cos people keep doing finance.

I was looking a few years ago at bae systems and it had a apprentiship program and you didn't need to go to uni. Although i'm not into engineering i just looked at it at the time.
Reply 3
jobsssssssss

Latest

Trending

Trending