The Student Room Group

Aeronautical job vs Automotive job

Just finished a masters in Aero. Have job offers from both Aeronautical and Automotive (Non F1). Which industry is better to work in in terms of career/skill development, future opportunities (eg promotions), salary and future proofing myself?
I'd say it really depends on what interests you more. Both the Aeronautical and Automotive industries have massive opportunities and seemingly will continue to have in the future. From what I know, if you want to work in core Aero then the Aerospace industry definitely has more scope than Automotive since 'regular' car makers don't usually put that much resources into Aero. If you'd b rather be doing something like Control Systems, Mechanical Design, Structures etc both the industries will have plenty of openings for you to get into
Original post by EauRouge7105
I'd say it really depends on what interests you more. Both the Aeronautical and Automotive industries have massive opportunities and seemingly will continue to have in the future. From what I know, if you want to work in core Aero then the Aerospace industry definitely has more scope than Automotive since 'regular' car makers don't usually put that much resources into Aero. If you'd b rather be doing something like Control Systems, Mechanical Design, Structures etc both the industries will have plenty of openings for you to get into

But if you are more interested in the Automotive industry and want to do aero stuff as well, they're still a decent amount of scope so I wouldn't let it drive me away from pursuing it. High performance car manufacturers will have quite advanced aero departments. You could get into motorsports as well, but do that only if you're really passionate about motorsports. Motorsport jobs typically pay way lesser than other engineering jobs and definitely require more work as well. So yeah, do that only if you'd be fine with the trade off of working in motorsports vs lower wages and more work

Quick Reply

Latest